PDA

View Full Version : How to land a Me-163?

lzheng2000
10-15-2004, 09:07 PM
I try to land a Me163, but every time I end up as a smoke hole on the grass. I try to land at 160, but every time it bounces up and then gets nose down and then explodes. I can land a BF109 pretty well though.

Help is needed. Thanks.

F0_Dark_P
10-15-2004, 09:41 PM
just keep on practise,like you did whith the 109, you get it soon enough, thats the only tip i can give, just push landings like hell, then you get the feeling of the airplane, and what landing speed is the best so you dont stall or bounce, just keep on practise

mortoma
10-15-2004, 10:01 PM
How do you land a 163? With a great deal of difficulty, that's how....Actually try holding off until you bleed down to 130Kph or so, just make sure your descent rate is practically nil when you do touch down.

F0_Dark_P
10-15-2004, 10:08 PM
i have tested to land the 163 now, i the thing is that you cant have any fuel left in the thanks, it is a flying bomb you are piloting with that enormously explosive fule it runns on, so burn upp all the fuel firs before you attempt to land it

antifreeze
10-17-2004, 05:24 AM
> How do you land a 163? With a great deal of difficulty, that's how

Absolutely right. Probably the hardest plane to land.

> try holding off until you bleed down to 130Kph or so, just make sure your descent rate is practically nil when you do touch down.

Absolutely right. You should not so much land the plane as fly it onto the airstrip, nearly horizontally. However, unlike prop planes you must always make sure you overshoot the beginning edge of the runway, because if you 'flare' your jet engine in that situation, the plane will likely roll into a stall. So... no flare = aim to overshoot.

However, I would disagree about the speed. It might work for Mortoma, but I would say that most players would lose too much control at that speed. I think you can land more successfully at 250-300kph. The 'skid' slows you down much faster than wheels and brakes, so you can afford to hit the runway at a faster speed, and the plane is much happier at that higher speed (remembering that your vertical velocity will still be almost zero). But try both higher speed and lower speed and see what you feel more comfortable with. Bear in mind that above 300kph, your flaps will stick and at 350kph you might lose your 'skid' when you lower it (you are lowering your 'skid' aren't you?).

> the thing is that you cant have any fuel left in the thanks

Hmmmm... this is a good workaround. But it shouldn't be normal practice. If there are enemies in the area, you'd want to get down as soon as possible. Also, if you use up your fuel then you can only have one attempt at landing; you can't abort a bad approach. And it is possible to land the ME-163 with full fuel; I can do it virtually everytime (in good weather).

Here is a great tip to stop bouncing. It works for all aircraft. After you put landing flaps on, trim your aircraft between three-quarters and almost fully forward, to push the nose down. The flaps and trim will balance themselves, and you will find that you drop altitude nicely with plenty of control and the nose in the correct position. I think this is called a 'three-point landing' in real life, where all three wheels touch down at the same time. The beauty of it, and that part that probably isn't real-life realistic, is that when you touch down, you'll virtually stick to the runway due to the applied trim.

Another tip. The ME-163 keeps its glide speed really well. So it is also important to know how to lose speed efficiently. On approach you should 'side slip' to the desired speed. This means you apply left rudder, and then apply slight right aileron to balance it. You will see that the white vapour line does not now line up with the fuselage; the plane is pointing in a different direction from its movement. And it is this 'side slip' that slows the plane down. You can of course side slip in the other direction too. If you don't use side slip, then you are relying too much on judging the distance and height you need to be at the start of your approach for your speed correct when you hit the airstrip; impossible!

tfu_iain1
10-17-2004, 09:02 AM
actually i tend to save fuel for landing and with full spoiling (flaps and gear) you can run the engine on its minimum setting and just hold a shallow approach and rate of decent and speed quite nicely. of course, this is completely unrealistic.

LStarosta
10-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Ctrl E initiates the auto-land sequence installed on some late war experimental German jets and rockets.

JG7_Rall
10-17-2004, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
Ctrl E initiates the auto-land sequence installed on some late war experimental German jets and rockets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pure comical genius!

WereSnowleopard
10-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Also make sure lowing the undercarriage. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheer
Snowleopard