PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Smoke and Fires in FMB

nearmiss
12-29-2004, 08:06 AM
The distance before viewing is too short. The fires and smoke realistically could be seen for at least .5KM and greater.

I'm glad we have the smoke and fires, and the workaround is to hide the burning and smoking behind a hill or something. Then when you fly over the hill...wahla there you have the burning and smoking.

It's a needed addition to the sim for sure, so don't take it out. Just increase the viewing distance.

nearmiss
12-29-2004, 08:06 AM
The distance before viewing is too short. The fires and smoke realistically could be seen for at least .5KM and greater.

I'm glad we have the smoke and fires, and the workaround is to hide the burning and smoking behind a hill or something. Then when you fly over the hill...wahla there you have the burning and smoking.

It's a needed addition to the sim for sure, so don't take it out. Just increase the viewing distance.

Bearcat99
12-29-2004, 08:18 AM
I agree....

Recon_609IAP
12-29-2004, 08:24 AM
agreed - someone mentioned visible as far as ships?

Perhaps make it the dot range http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crazyivan1970
12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
I agree, but such feature MIGHT affect overall game performance. Smoke and fire and not really same objects as ships IMO.

Von_Zero
12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
I agree, but such feature MIGHT affect overall game performance. Smoke and fire and not really same objects as ships IMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would for sure decrease the fps considerably, BUT, i really doubt the Dynamic Campaigns would use them for more than "symbolic" situations, like a landing streip or something like that, not for placing them over the cities, takns, etc.... So, they would be "exclusive" for the mission builders, that could create quality effects, for specific missions, kowing when to stop in order to find the best balance between eyecandy and playability. Beside that, it could be placed as a value in the config.ini, like we have now for the effects, if you know your rig can't take it, just lower the value at wich they become visible, and viceversa.

nearmiss
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Zero:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
I agree, but such feature MIGHT affect overall game performance. Smoke and fire and not really same objects as ships IMO.
Beside that, it could be placed as a value in the config.ini, like we have now for the effects, if you know your rig can't take it, just lower the value at wich they become visible, and viceversa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Setting the visible distance in conf.ini is a good idea, then users could set their own preferences for best FPS playback...regardless of what the originial mission builder created.

BelaLvgosi
12-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Well, some very low LOD sprites would suffice at distances and imho woundn't be that heavy on the pc.

BaldieJr
12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
From what I can tell, lights don't cause a performance penalty.

Of course, if you put a bunch of them in a mission (several hundred), the mission takes awhile to load.

Freakbrother
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
It should have the same visibility distance as the smoke from crashed planes, watch those screens i've posted there
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=7871013652&p=2

WUAF_Badsight
12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
smoke in FB is multiple particle effects isnt it ?

smoke affects FPS much greater than a solid moving object or any lights

LEXX_Luthor
12-29-2004, 06:56 PM
We need smoke mostly for navigation in day, and fire at night.

Real life nite bombers navigated to distant fires started by previous bombing, and dropped bombs near the fires.

For this, you need to see fire/smoke to the horizon - 20km (or 30km in Perfect Mode grafix). Scattered smoke/fire objects won't hurt framerate when far away.

Short range fire/smoke is good for Fancy internet screenshot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif bad for gameplay http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

clint-ruin
12-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Would love to be able to set object LOD range hints in the .mis and let that be varied by the users own detail settings.

p1ngu666
12-29-2004, 09:53 PM
there was also route markers and the first pathfinders emluminted a 10mile square box, then the markers would go in, and broadcast aim for the red markers or whatever.

also decoy fires etc. aprently the germans made on near city X (guy gibson book, doesnt say city for obvious reasons). crews would fly to the decoy (easy to find) then they knew target was however far away and would procede to there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

if the target had been hit hard, and was ablaze (hamberg, london docks) u could see the glow/fires for 100's of miles.

also any light would be way more obvious, due to blackout, and lack of population (relitive to today)

LEXX_Luthor
12-29-2004, 10:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>route markers and the first pathfinders emluminted a 10mile square box, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
3.03 and F4 + Right Mouse to raise New Lights into the sky.

pingu your a Genius

LEXX_Luthor
12-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Ow, all Oleg has to do is replace the bombs on the parafrags with the New Lights.

LEXX_Luthor
12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
I did it.

Put a couple dozen New Lights in a 100m or 200m square box on the map, edit the mission file and change the 0.00m altitudes to a nice spread...say 5000m to 5400m. The light altitudes are the number at the end of the line.

Awsum. No they don't fall, but judging by the slow parafrag fall rate, you won't notice the lack of fall in the few minutes you are near target. I used Light~4 because they are the brightest and can be seen from farther away than the other light types, although you only get white lights.

LEXX_Luthor
12-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Okay, just tried marker cloud with red and green lights...much better, not as oppressive brilliant and yes you can see them about as far as the bright white lights.

Red and Green are lights 3 and 4 (or 4 and 3)...this is called smoke13 and smoke14 in mission text file (bright light 4 is called smoke15).

So you can make clouds of red lights and green lights. Most impressive. Still the visibility distance is only about 5km. Should be 20km at least.

p1ngu666
12-30-2004, 12:42 AM
ill haveto see if i can foto some descriptions for u luther if u interested http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

would be a most impressive sight, with search lights, flak (of most types)
fires on the ground, flares (including night fighter ones). fancy colour changing ones. and the flash of cookies going off and photo flashs (record aiming point)

p1ngu666
12-30-2004, 12:43 AM
oh, and the aircraft around u of both sides, getting shot down/on fire, and the odd bit of window sparkingly down

p1ngu666
12-30-2004, 12:45 AM
just thought, with the soon tobe added overcast, u may be able to make glow clouds, and the odd static flare.

Extreme_One
12-30-2004, 07:33 AM
I agree - great feature but a shame you can't see 'em unless your right on top of them.