PDA

View Full Version : Look...Up in the sky...it's a plane!...it's a Sunderland!..it's a Divebomber?

DRB_Hookech0
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
So I was wondering how much the campaign in 1943 changed from my 1941 career. I start a new crew, grab a VIIC with 2 flak guns, no deck gun, an engine upgrade, decoys, surface radar, and that wonderful radar detection dohicky, the "Biscane Cross". I'm sailing out of Brest, and it's now April 1943.

So I clear the shallows and make for the contential shelf and deep water. I'm on the surface, I kick it into flank and start my run. Soundings tell me I have 79m under the keel. The crew and Captain are tense as the navigator marks our progress.

"Radar detection...signal increasing!"

"....Alarram!...dive...all ahead full..right hard rudder!...."

Down we go....the event box pops up...hmm thought I locked that....anyway...I see 2 Sunderlands make a depth charge attack....and....pull staight up vertical and hang in the air like a kite. I go hit the external view (I like to make screen shots...sue me) and watch as 2 pairs of Sunderlands make several attacks, either right on my dive spot or slightly along my projected track...not very far along BTW. But I'm sitting there watching these large, ungainly aircraft making attacks like they are Duantless dive bombers and flying like they have a thrust to weight ratio of an F-16 and maintaining perfect formation flying. Ok, i know this is a SUB sim, I just found it highly amusing the FM on the Sunderland after spnding a few years in the IL2 forums (god I just hear the ruckus if a AI plane there flew like this).

BTW in case anyone was wondering....it took 9 crash dives and 3 days to reach the open ocean and I took some damage to the tower and AAA guns but the hull is still 100%. Heck at one point I had to head back in the direction of France to get out of the way of the air patrols. 1944 is going to be interesting....If I live that long.

On the way to my patrol grid (AM19) I ran across a 2 ship convoy and hammered them, I then radioed in and 5 mins later....the air is alive with aircraft...

It's going to be a long war...

marioh99
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I was finally sunk by an aircraft attack last night, thanks to those Sunderlands. I figured I could just blast the plane out of the sky (I figured they were the lone patrol plane (or two) I've been accustomed to seeing). Turned out there were 4 of them. My entire conning tower crew, dead. Repair crew, dead. Tried to dive to save the rest of my crew, and they finished me off, sending my fine VIIB to the bottom of the Atlantic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DRB_Hookech0
04-14-2005, 02:09 PM
heck...I dont even try to slug it out airplanes now...I just crash to 70m as fast as I can

KiwiVenge
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Mid 42 now for me. I find unless you have enough time to dive and get out of there, the best thing to do is engage the aircraft. They seem pretty bad at surface attacks at this point. I can easily stand 2 or 3 passes of 2 planes without too much damage. By then, they are fish food. if I dive, they let loose with those depth charges and those lay a whoopin' on me.
Til they get better at surface attacking me, I will keep shooting them out of the air.

NietzscheMadMan
04-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I was hunting near freetown on the West coast of africa and got swarmed by Sunderlands. I shot about six of them down. They would come in waves of four, wave after wave...

The water depth was only 10 meters so I was stuck on the surface. They have incredibly bad aim as I was knocking them out of the sky one after the other and their bombs were falling very far from the mark.

On got lucky though. He dropped a ton of bombs right off my stern killing everyone on deck except for the watch officer. Damage control was unable to control the flooding and I went straight to the shallow bottom.

DRB_Hookech0
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I think people missed the point.

The Sunderlands make what looks like a normal shallow dive approach for a depth charge attack and once the DC's are away, they do a 9g pull stright up and hang in the air like a kite, then level off from a hover and turn aroud to do it again.

They also make up to 3 attacks on the submergence spot....I guess thinking that the the sub just is sitting there just below the surface.