PDA

View Full Version : There is a way to improve combat skills fast

nearmiss
05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
IF you want to improve your air combat skills quickly... there is a way.

Go into the Quick Mission Builder and setup what you need to work on.

Then start mission, hit esc and create a video of the mission file. Then go back into the QM. Hit the T key to turn on the wing tip smoke trails.

Run the mission. Then when the mission is over turn of the recording. Play the recording and when you play it use shift+F2 and mouse to get behind either player or wingman at a distance to watch the action. YOU can use mouse to move in closer to get a feel for action as you see fit.

This way you can improve you air combat very quickly.

Or you can go online and they'll enjoy handing your head to you so fast and so often you will look in the mirror and say... I am a beggar for punishment.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

nearmiss
05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
IF you want to improve your air combat skills quickly... there is a way.

Go into the Quick Mission Builder and setup what you need to work on.

Then start mission, hit esc and create a video of the mission file. Then go back into the QM. Hit the T key to turn on the wing tip smoke trails.

Run the mission. Then when the mission is over turn of the recording. Play the recording and when you play it use shift+F2 and mouse to get behind either player or wingman at a distance to watch the action. YOU can use mouse to move in closer to get a feel for action as you see fit.

This way you can improve you air combat very quickly.

Or you can go online and they'll enjoy handing your head to you so fast and so often you will look in the mirror and say... I am a beggar for punishment.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

jamesblonde1979
05-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Practise practise practise, the more you out in the better the result.

The great thing about this game is you can't just go on ebay and buy a lvl 50 character, you have to put in some effort.

Learning about your aircraft is also instrumental.

If you don't wan't to put in the effort then you will never get good at this game.

Tully__
05-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Don't spend too much time practising against the AI if you intend to go online. They can teach you some awfully bad and lazy tactics.
Using the same technique to record your online engagements can teach you an awful lot, give that a go as soon as you're confident you can hit a target you aimed at more than 1 in 5 times. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Choctaw111
05-13-2009, 06:39 AM
The QMB, although a good tool, definitely has its shortcomings.
It is excellent for gunnery/bombing practice, but not so good for learning tactics or honing skills against opposing force pilots.
Once you become proficient with your guns and learning how far you can push you airplane offline, you are then ready to be competitive online, but watch out as there are some very good pilots there who do things that the ACE AI can only dream of.

na85
05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Flying against AI and flying against human opponents are basically two entirely different games.

Tribunus
05-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Join us Saturday when Blairgowrie host the UBI Coops. You’ll find a group of friendly people with lots of experience and advice.

jayhall0315
05-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Nearmiss, I specialize in fighting other very high level human pilots on Hyperlobby and I generally put HL pilots in about 5 groups (although this is completely arbitrary and some would strongly disagree with me):

Beginners
Intermediates
Veterans
Masters
Grandmasters

The QMB AI, even on 'Ace' level is only about as a good as mid-level beginning human pilot. Do not use the QMB as a guide of what to expect on Hyperlobby. As Choctaw said, its best use IMHO is as a gunnery aid and letting you get accustomed to new airframes.

It is cliche now, but just as Morpheus said in the Matrix movie, "No one can tell you what the Matrix is, you must see it for yourself". So it is with online combat against real humans. You can read many books but unfortunately you will just have to take a beating in your early months (like we all did) in order to get better. Real allied WWII pilots usually trained for 200~300 hours before they ever saw real combat and this game is pretty realistic, so expect a similar time frame.

K_Freddie
05-15-2009, 12:25 AM
My QMB practise mode

1) You alone, Fullpit + 100% settings
2) 4 enemy flights, 1 plane in each flight, all aces.
3) Any altitude, no flak, no targets, etc.
4) Variations such as different a/c combinations, Altitude, Time of Day.. etc

Once you mastered this, you'll top even the best online... guaranteed.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Gadje
05-15-2009, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
Once you mastered this, you'll top even the best online... guaranteed.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really Freddie. Doing this in QMB is a challenge but its main use online would be to help you cope with getting ********ed by multiple opponents.
1-It helps your Situation Awareness (if flying Full Real!) as you have to know where your opponents are even if you don't have eyes on them.
2-It teaches you to fly as smoothly as possible even when getting attacked to help maintain your energy.
3- Your snap shots improve. You can't shoot on the bandits tail unless its the last one.

But the ace AI are still dumb.
They happily hang in the air at times and refuse to do other than gentle turns even when a tighter one will give them a shot or let them get away from one.
Besides that on the deck they have fear of the ground and break too early.
Rolling your plane in a headon confuses them and they seldom shoot.

None of these things a good human pilot would do.
A skilled fighter pilot will be concentrating on your flying mostly if you are the opponent. Make a mistake he will see it, capitalise on it and punish you. The in-ability to do this and change tactics in-flight is why AI can never come close. A complete different set of skills apply when fighting a good human pilot.

But QMB is a great way to learn to control a plane and practice shots. Just don't expect to be able to beat a good human pilot on the back of successes against the AI. To do that you have to play online against them..... a lot. Even when you think you are good you will still have your backside handed to you at times as there are big sharks in them there online seas.

(or is that Silent Hunter? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

jayhall0315
05-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Spoken like a true JAWS.

K_Freddie
05-15-2009, 04:39 AM
You give too little credit to QMB... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
A lot of RL Virtual pilots fly a lot like the AI, frozen in doctrins beseeched by the masses (or the most vocal).
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Gadje
05-15-2009, 06:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
A lot of RL Virtual pilots fly a lot like the AI, frozen in doctrins beseeched by the masses (or the most vocal).
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aye I would agree with that!

Charts are great if you use them as a tool to be consulted, not if you treat them as a rulebook in how to fly without exception. Only practice can help here.

Jay a basking shark maybe. Big mouth but no teeth. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CloCloZ
05-16-2009, 07:02 AM
I usually don't fly online.
Just tried a couple of times more than a year ago, just a week after I've bought the game. First time I stupidly flew directly into the jaws of a group of E/As and was instantly shot down. Second time I was flying much more carefully when server suddenly stopped the game and restarted. Adding things like that to the boring endless trips from airport to battle zone, I quickly became quite uninterested in online (but I think I could retry it now ...).

Frankly speaking, looking at many online tracks it seems to me there is a lot of people online that fly and fight much worse than AI at aces (or even veteran) level. Of course the most skilled pilots fly and (especially) shot better.

However, I'm wondering how many online people really can survive more than 20-25 minutes in a 16-vs-16 aces OFFLINE furball (in Full Realism), facing (even when supported by AI teammates) 16 opponents that never blackout, use trims and engines at best, see through the clouds and invariably feel you at their 6 at 400mt (BTW, the latest AI mods made AI behaviour less predictable too). Only evident shortcoming I've found in AI pilots is their deflection shooting (and even that differs from plane to plane and with latest AI mods I saw some surprisingly good deflection shots too). Even when predictable in their evasive actions, they do that at best so you have to follow them skilfully and ... I very often blackout in doing that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
An 1-vs-1 dogfight with an AI ace is quite easy when you have just some experience, facing many at the same time is not.

For me such a furball it's still a challenging task, especially when flying planes I don't know very well.
In fact, I use that way (using QMB or, better, MissionMate) for dogfight training.

SeaFireLIV
05-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Learning is not a quick process. There is NO quick way to improve. There might be long ways and slightly less long ways, but no quick ways to improve your combat skills.

To be honest, every game where you will be competing against Humans has the same story.

But if YOU are a quick-learner, perhaps.

Guess that`s why you get cheaters and team killers sometimes. The type who cannot be bothered to learn.

jamesblonde1979
05-16-2009, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tribunus:
Join us Saturday when Blairgowrie host the UBI Coops. You’ll find a group of friendly people with lots of experience and advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, I missed this one this week I guess, can you PM me when the next one is due mate. I'd love to join in.

nearmiss
05-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I made my starter posting short and to the point.

All your discussions about Online vs Offline have merit for sure.

The method I discussed is to get familiarity with aircombat, learning targeting, etc.

If you replay videos, even if you are on Online player you can learn plenty from it.

The Slip and ball is very important for targeting, it took me about 3 days doing QM to learn how important it was.

Watched those videos over and over watching my aircraft doing all the right things...it seemed.

Couldn't figure for the life of me why I kept getting so close and still missed my targets.

When I started centering the ball and slip when the gunsight was on target I improved my shooting exponentially.

This is something I don't know if I'd have ever learned getting my head handed to me time after time Online. In fact, it can get downright frustrating.

T_O_A_D
05-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I never like QMB
So a few years back I made these missions for target practice.

http://mission4today.com/index...file=details&id=3665 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3665)

Nothing too fancy, but it works. Building your shooting skills, and aircraft control while shooting. It will teach you nothing for going against humans though. Other than being able to hit one quickly if given a chance and taking his threat away from the fight.

The AI suck, so I took away their ammo and I just shot and shoot them. Instead of just clamping on their six I fly all kinds of angles and practice my deflection shooting. With unlimited ammo. Just force your self to shoot in short burst, as if you would with limited. If you plan on killing them all.

I like going unlimited any more, and see what I can get with a single load out.

I also have one mission in the bunch that the AI do have weapons, and you can win it, with unlimited ammo, but you still have to fly smart.

mortoma
05-20-2009, 02:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
Flying against AI and flying against human opponents are basically two entirely different games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, flying against most humans online is easier!! Anytime I flew online I did well, even though I was always an offline player 98% of the time. I found it easier to shoot down most human player because you can sneak up behind them, unlike AI. The AI have perfect situational awareness and humans don't. But then you sometimes run into a human player that knows what he is doing and is better than AI. But most people online aren't all that good.

jayhall0315
05-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Ahh, Mortoma, but any decent full real player is always checking their six every 6-10 seconds. The lowtards and new do fly in straight lines for 30 or more seconds at a time, but most decent players dont. A veteran or Master level full real player is leagues tougher to shoot down than the silly stock AI (although I would like to try that AI mod).

Jay

Bearcat99
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
My two cents..........

First off... excellent idea nearmiss.. any mehtod of practice is better than none.

As for the AI... a few things to consider...
1-The AI mod os pretty darned good if I must say so myself..
2-One of the keys to making the AI work to your improvement while practicing is to mix the skill set. A mix of average veteran with a few aces & rooks tossed in works best for me.

There is also something to be said for practicing in full switch mode... even if like me online you prefer more relaxed settings..... IMO and from my experience in this sim for my squadmates and I ... limited icons just work better towards more effective communication.. and with the hotkeys mod you can have limited views... but BOT..

I also think however that there is no quick way to improve combat skills in this sim.. primarily because the process and the results are as unique as each individual virtual pilot, their skill set, lifestyle... as in how much time do they actually have to even fly... let alone practice... how much are they willing to invest into practice as in going beyond their comfort zone.. and how creative and self aware they are as in knowing their own strengths and weaknesses etc...

lowtards jay? c'mon man... you are better than that... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

jayhall0315
05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Dont take it too seriously Bearcat, LOL. I am only mentioning that many guys who hug the ground at 200m on some full real servers (I see it often on some maps in Zekes vs Wildcats for example) and then complain later that 'people keep coming down on them from above'. Well NS, ... of course they do. Anyone who does that is easy prey.

So yeah... flying low without checking the six often, plus being mentally challenged.... yep, that = lowtard.

Bearcat99
05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Low slow tards eh....

I just got finsihed flying a QM in a 51 against a FWA9.. I had this guy... I was hammering him and he had peices coming off his plane.. we started to scissor.. and he rolled a perfect hi yo... and I was coming in too fast... I slipped a bit too far in front of him.. then I tired to dive away and reverse... but he was right there... and took the tip of my wing off.... this with the AI mod. That AI mod & the 6DoF mod are IMO a few of the best mods out there....

slipBall
05-23-2009, 12:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nearmiss:
The Slip and ball is very important for targeting, it took me about 3 days doing QM to learn how important it was.

Watched those videos over and over watching my aircraft doing all the right things...it seemed.

Couldn't figure for the life of me why I kept getting so close and still missed my targets.

When I started centering the ball and slip when the gunsight was on target I improved my shooting exponentially.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, extreme importance, along with convergence distance. Another way to understand this, is to consider the Slip & ball as the rear barrel sight of a rifle, in your aircraft.

jayhall0315
05-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, you keep talking about this AI mod, so I think I am finally going to have to give in to the dark side and give it a shot.

So many folks in the lobby rave about the 6 DOF but have not tried that either yet (although, I have seen youtube clips of it).

Bearcat99
05-23-2009, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nearmiss:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, extreme importance, along with convergence distance. Another way to understand this, is to consider the Slip & ball as the rear barrel sight of a rifle, in your aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HmmmmI will have to pay attention to that.

jamesblonde1979
05-24-2009, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
Dont take it too seriously Bearcat, LOL. I am only mentioning that many guys who hug the ground at 200m on some full real servers (I see it often on some maps in Zekes vs Wildcats for example) and then complain later that 'people keep coming down on them from above'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO, maybe they were expecting to get bounced by a U-boat.

Lurch1962
05-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I heartily recomment CERT's v.30 AI mod (the latest, AFAIK, and the first version I tried out a few weeks ago). The difference in the AI bot's performance is heaps better! At *least* a full skill setting better. I used to fly against the AI at ace level exclusively, but as I continue to adapt to these more-capable AI, I sometimes find that I have to 'downgrade' to the veterans instead. A few points I've noticed:

- They turn harder, while still retaining a decent amount of energy.

- AI wingmen no longer slavishly glue themselves to the leader, and so are not the kills-in-waiting they formerly were.

- In a head-on, leaders *and* wingmen will AGGRESSIVELY attempt to take a shot as you're twisting out of their way.

- They take less time maneuvering into a favourable position, so you've got to check six a heck of alot more frequently, and NOT be leisurely in lining up on the 'guy' in front of you when his buddies are about.

BillSwagger
05-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I dont use any AI mods. If i need to shave off some rust i'll go into quick mission and load a match between a ki-84c and a p-47d at 3km. The AI, ki-84c is set to ACE which usually causes him to fly right at me, so i give my self the advantage and he'll try to loop around.

The ki-84 is somewhat more resistant to the .50 cal than the other fighters, and its firepower makes a mess of the 47 pretty quickly.

If i want to practice a high alt fight, i fly the P-47D against a ta-152h AI at 7500m.
This can be a long fight, just like online.

sledgehammer2
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
What is the "AI mod"?