PDA

View Full Version : ISP whinge

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Heya all..

Is it ok if I have a vent? Frankly I'm pi$$ed off with the attitude of my ISP provider. Let me fill you in on what has happened so far, let me know if anyone has had similar experiences.

A couple of months ago, I signed up for a 12 month unlimited download/connection plan for 256k ADSL. Generally I download 2/3 Gig a month via different methods, like online gaming, linux ISO's, etc. I have been having really bad troubles lately last couple of weeks, where the ping fluctuates (spikes) to 500 ms for about 10 seconds, every 20 seconds or so. This kind of network fart really affects online games,especially IL2 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif , and can even abort http downloads. I sent them a complaint with detailed ping and traceroute attachments, and recieved no answer.

Today my ISP sent a email to all its subscribers, stating that some unlimited customers are 'abusing' their connection and d/ling too much, adversely affecting their network infrastructure. Now this really vents my volcano, because they shouldnt be signing up unlimited connections if their infrastructure can't handle it! It's like making someone pay mint money for a ferrari and saying keep it under 50. They also said they are implementing some kind of download 'warning' and 'speed limiter' for people who download 25% more than other broadband customers.

Bleh... time to change ISP. well thats my rant for today :-P

-Hareball

--------------------------------------
We should have all the generalizing extremists taken out and shot.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Heya all..

Is it ok if I have a vent? Frankly I'm pi$$ed off with the attitude of my ISP provider. Let me fill you in on what has happened so far, let me know if anyone has had similar experiences.

A couple of months ago, I signed up for a 12 month unlimited download/connection plan for 256k ADSL. Generally I download 2/3 Gig a month via different methods, like online gaming, linux ISO's, etc. I have been having really bad troubles lately last couple of weeks, where the ping fluctuates (spikes) to 500 ms for about 10 seconds, every 20 seconds or so. This kind of network fart really affects online games,especially IL2 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif , and can even abort http downloads. I sent them a complaint with detailed ping and traceroute attachments, and recieved no answer.

Today my ISP sent a email to all its subscribers, stating that some unlimited customers are 'abusing' their connection and d/ling too much, adversely affecting their network infrastructure. Now this really vents my volcano, because they shouldnt be signing up unlimited connections if their infrastructure can't handle it! It's like making someone pay mint money for a ferrari and saying keep it under 50. They also said they are implementing some kind of download 'warning' and 'speed limiter' for people who download 25% more than other broadband customers.

Bleh... time to change ISP. well thats my rant for today :-P

-Hareball

We should have all the generalizing extremists taken out and shot.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm so glad I'm a university student living on-campus. I shudder to think of the day when I'll loose my T-1 connection!

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you right. I used to know your daddy."