PDA

View Full Version : Meeting a Veteran Hero with two confirmed Zeroes down

melkur1966
12-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Guys,
Last year I met with Mel Kurlander in Chicago.
I was doing some field research for my job as a designer, and was in his apartment.
When I noticed al the pictures of Corsairs on the wall we started talking about his days flying in the pacific. He is one of the last surviving heroes. With 2 confirmed kills.
What a great guy!
He had a laptop, (at 95 years old) and was interested in simulators. Can someone go show him this stuff? He would be chuffed!
He lives around lawrence street on the lake in Chicago.
Regards,
Bart
ps. I would like to built some plains for the game. Can someone tell me which format to use?
I am profesional Designer with CAD tool.
Can export .x files.

LEBillfish
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
My suggestion would be to look for some of the better movies made....Pacific would be great yet some of the non shows some nice details (like shell casings falling)....Though the music will make him nuts, do a search for "Come WIth Me" by RC_Kedic as a start, and there are many more out there.

K2

Heliopause
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
wauw, did he tell anything about the circumstances inwich those kills occured?

T_O_A_D
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
melkur1966

I posted a l ink to this thread over here
http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?p=26412#26412
I personally know of three well behaved, inteligent IL2 Flyers in the area.

capt_frank
12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Lots on Google...

http://darenc.org/Airport/Museum/hurly.htm

hos8367
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
I live in the area, but I'm not sure what exactly you want done. Could you clarify?

T_O_A_D
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Well? Mel any more news info on this?

melkur1966
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry. Did not regurarly check in.

I did read a book about the vf-17 in which Mel is mentioned as the joker,with 2 kills to his names confirmed.
All happened in a short time span. The squadron was very succesfull.
What an amazing character he was.
Let me find out if I can still find his adress and I hope he is still alive. He was already 92 when I met him. But he was interested in simulations, and asked me to revisit him sometime.
I live in Holland so never got back to Chicago.

melkur1966
12-18-2007, 01:20 PM
FOlks,

I noticed some replies on another forum, of people living in Chicago, but can't reply.
Let me dig up some info on mr. Kurlander to see if he is still living up there, and then I will post it and aproach those interested.
Say he would like to see some Sim action, we can always organize meeting him.
Believe me he was an active and spirited gentleman, with a very clear image of those days, his role in it, and his achievements.
His cousin had provided him with a very old joystick and IBM laptop running some old FS.
He told me he would love to see the current state of the art stuff.
He was one of the most strong spirited people I have met in a long time.
And Considering his history a true hero.
After reading the VF 17 history I realized later what sort of man I had met.
I fly il 1946 and Pacific fighters now with a Trackir, and always think of what those guys went through. Amazing.
SO let me dig up his adres, and I will let you know asap.
(please forward link to other forum so I can update everyone interested)
Bart, Netherlands.
ps. I realized I took his name as a username, not knowingly I would be writing about him.

melkur1966
12-18-2007, 01:27 PM
That's our guy, Frank.
And believe me, he still looked like a moviestar at 92.
He was chasing nurses every weekend stealing navy jeeps, and bringing them chocolate and champagne. He was a true ladies man, and hasn't lost the spirit.
Pity he is just sitting there in his Apartment along the lake.

He had this plaque on the wall from 1982. That's when his squad finally got some respect from the officials. They hated their rash behavior back in the day. If it wasn't for their 175 kills , they would have all been fired on the spot. But their leader looked for brash fighters in their characters. He knew that's what was needed to shoot down Zekes.
And they did.
Best story was the beer run. In a transfer to another airbase they stuffed many crates of beers in their ammo pockets in the wings. They had cold beers on arrival. (all doing very short 3 point landings on normal runways baffling all normal pilots....)
Greetz, Bart

T
Originally posted by capt_frank:
Lots on Google...

http://darenc.org/Airport/Museum/hurly.htm

Rogodin
12-18-2007, 08:45 PM
This is a very amazing story and I hope someone has gone to visit Mel and transcribed the experience (and possible pictures).

Rogo

T_O_A_D
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
melkur1966 wrote:I noticed some replies on another forum, of people living in Chicago, but can't reply.

That forum is free and your welcome to join it.

I've bumped the thread again over there too.

melkur1966
12-19-2007, 04:43 AM
He used to live in an apartment on West Balmoral and North Sheridan rd. Next to that Mies van der Rohe building. The one with the triangular section.
I am in the process of aqcuiring his adress, and will try and give him a call when I get it.

Bart

melkur1966
12-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Well that's cool. Just got his phone nr.
Let me give him a call today, and see what he's up to.
Bart

melkur1966
12-19-2007, 04:51 AM
As far as the worry about mr. K not wanting to have unwanted visits:
Let me call him. If he's in the same shape as when I met him last, I am sure he would welcome it.
But indeed a lot can happen in a year when you are 92 years of age.

We where doing research on Dect Phones at the time. On the question if he'd ever read the manual that comes with a new phone or product:
''Hell no, We never even got a bloody manual with those Corsairs!!', '"There was a red button on the cockpit, and I asked them what the hell it was for, and they couldn't tell me''
The woman who questioned him on the consumer product was totally oblivious to his past, and pushed on quesioning him on the phones. It was very funny.
I have some pictures of the occasion, which I can post later.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-20-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm intrigued. It would be very cool (and interesting) if we were able to follow up on this gentleman.

melkur1966
12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Good news guys,
Just had a chat with my WW2 Fighter pilot hero-friend, and guess what?
He is as spirited as last year, redecotating his apartment, and doing well.
It was nice to know he remembered me, He remembered I made him some drawings of Corsairs during the interviews. (I am a proffesional Illustrator and designer) Which he apreciated.
He says his nephew set him up with a new pc, and some flight sims, and he says he did many take-offs and landing-attempts on Meggs airfield. In other words, he is still enjoying flight. Could you imagine him joining one of the Pacific theatre Battles with his virtual corsair? That is unreal yet surreal.

He said he would welcome the idea so meet up with some enthusiasts, but not after his appartment is finished redecorating.
I would suggest that I would call one of you, who would be seriously interested, and I could have a chat about it, and then we could set someting up.

Probably sometime in the new year, like mr. Kurlander suggested.
Exciting stuff.
Mr Kelvind apreciated the fact I read the VF17 book, and added that he would add his personal biography in it if I stopped by. He is always talking about the days. He mentioned only 2 of the vf17 are remaining. In 82 mr Rumsfeld gave them an honery medal.

is there a way for me to post a picture of me and mr. Kurlander on the forum?

Happy flying during x-mass folks, and don't forget your wives downstairs....
Bart

melkur1966
12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
sorry for the Typos..
in a hurry, but wanted to give you feedback.

Bart

hos8367
12-22-2007, 12:21 PM
This is great to hear melkurr1966! I am certainly interested in doing this. I think one of my teammates who is also local to Chicago is interested as well. I will work it out with him, and one of us will PM you our phone number. Perhaps we could get 1946 for him. I am good with computers and should have no problem getting him up and running if that is something he would want. Expect a Pm from one of us shortly.

The easiest way to post a picture is go to http://imageshack.us/ and upload it. Then paste the "Direct link to image" with [ img ] [ /img ] tags around it (no spaces).

T_O_A_D
12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
This is great stuff, I wish I could be there with you two when you get the chance to go.
At least I knew who to get involved. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Also link for the Picture instructions
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314...221069363#6221069363 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314103891?r=6221069363#6221069363)

melkur1966
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
He Folks,
Glad you are seriously interested in going over there. ALso I am glad you share my enthousiasm.
I did try to email Toad, but I am not sure it worked. I will try again.
Was gone for x-mass to celebrate in a place without internet.
So give me a phone nr, or email and I will call you guys to discuss.
I think just Pacific Fighters would be good to show. I noticed the VF-17 skins are available.
I could make one with his name on it and email it to you guys.
Bringing a rig sounds like the best idea. Then you know for sure it will look good.
Mel is an amazing guy, and I am sure he will tell you guys some great stories!
I am looking forward to visiting him again sometime this year.

Bart

T_O_A_D
12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I got your PM, and I forwarded it to the fellows in Chicago.

FPSOLKOR
12-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Can we read an interview with him instead of some broken stories?

Casey1976
01-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello melkur1966,

Just read the e-mail you sent me, and I'd like to get involved in this somehow...As you already know, I did a series of skins for VF-17. If you have any references for Mr. K's bird, please send them to me. Maybe I could do a skin for his F4U. There's a very talented artist over at M4T forums called Max_thehitman, he does some pretty great aviation art...maybe he'd be willing to do a piece on Mr. Kurlander. Wish I could meet the man, but I live on the other side of the country.

Let me know if there's anything thing I can contribute to honoring this man.

Cheers,

KC

melkur1966
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by melkur1966:
sorry for the Typos..
in a hurry, but wanted to give you feedback.

Bart

Hos 8367, waiting for your PM.
You can email me. Bart

melkur1966
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
KC, that's great news. I did load your vf-17 Corsair skins. Great stuff. ALso amazing to connect with so many enthusiasts so soon.
Mel would be thrilled to see his bird re-established. I do not have an image of his bird, but imagine a Corsair with to kills on the side , and his name next to the cockpit.
Didn't he have his big Skull on the tail?
LEt me look it up, in the bible. (Flying rogers, with T.Blackburn) But I am sure you have the book.

I will give Mel a call one of these days and inquire about the look of his airplane.
Again Casey, really cool you are offering this help.

I am trying to get some of the chicago chapter to go and show him the pacific theatre with your skins. That would be so amazing.
Greeting, Bart

Originally posted by Casey1976:
Hello melkur1966,

Just read the e-mail you sent me, and I'd like to get involved in this somehow...As you already know, I did a series of skins for VF-17. If you have any references for Mr. K's bird, please send them to me. Maybe I could do a skin for his F4U. There's a very talented artist over at M4T forums called Max_thehitman, he does some pretty great aviation art...maybe he'd be willing to do a piece on Mr. Kurlander. Wish I could meet the man, but I live on the other side of the country.

Let me know if there's anything thing I can contribute to honoring this man.

Cheers,

KC

melkur1966
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Finaly posted some images: of our meeting last year.
You can see them at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Bartacuss/MeetingKurlander
Hope you can view them there.

R_Target
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Kurlander is mentioned briefly in my copy of Blackburn's book. I recently ordered the Schiffer VF-17 book, so hopefully there'll be some good stuff in there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jollyroger33
01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I just found this posting and it has been 2 years since the last posting. I am very glad to see the amount of interest in Kurly. He is a very good friend of mine and I am happy to say that he is doing well a little further north on Sheridan Rd. in Chicago. I did film an interview with Kurly in December 2006 with a film crew from The University of Dayton. I would be happy to share information about the squadron with anyone that is interested. We also filmed interviews with Country Landreth and Jack Chasnoff from the VF-17. Please feel free to email me @ agsink76@gmail.com or call me @ 352-538-3156 if you would like to find out any information about the squadron. I look forward to talking with anyone who may be interested. Have a great evening!!!!!

Alex Sink