PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from Japanese Pilots and crew members...

PBNA-Boosher
10-24-2004, 05:55 PM
I telegramed my mother and she came over to the base from Osaka. We sat beneath the wing of my Ki-61 and had our last lunch together. I'll never forget the look on her face as she stroked the formidable looking Ki61 and said "Please take good care of my son" as if she were speaking to a person.

Susumu Koyama, 68th Sentai on September 6th, 1943, the day before he left for New Guinea.
Aa, Hien Sentotai ISBN4-7698-0790-2 Susumu Koyama

You can find quotes like that here:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/quotes/q_index.html

adadaead
10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
After the training was over, the three of us flew alongside the Yamato at an altitude lower than the bridge of the battleship in a single row. Our canopies were open and we bid farewell. Under normal circumstances, I would wave my hand, but that day, I gave a most sincere salute towards the bridge.

The apperance of the Yamato was completely different from the ship that I knew. It was covered with AA guns from bow to stern, as if all guns available in Japan had been collected and mounted. She was literally like a porcupine.

"Go Yamato!" ......The mightiest battleship in the world was going to leave for an one-way mission from which it would never come back, with a shipload of untrained crew. Cooperating as targets for its last gunnery training were a mere three Zeros. Nothing spoke of the status quo of the Japanese Empire than this fact.

Takeshi Umemura, Hikotai leader , 332 Kokutai , April 4th, 1945, after providing target from the AA crew of the Yamato who's never aimed at a moving target.

adadaead
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Some more:
The sleek new heavy bomber had been transmutated into something grotesque. There was a long steel pole (detonation switch) that protruded from the nose, but at that time I was not sure what it was for. All the glass had been removed from the nose and the tail and covered with plywood. Most onboard equipment including bombing equipment, radio, co-pilot's seat, had been removed. There was no defensive armament. "So I'm going to fly into battle on this...." an empty feeling spread within my heart.

Seiji Moriyama, Fugaku Special Attack Unit, upon seeing the Ki-67 Hiryu bomber converted into To-Go suicide plane with two 800kg bombs.

woofiedog
10-25-2004, 04:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Very Tragic!
How different it is to be on the losing side and knowing that your fate is about to happen.
And still have the courage to walk onward.
Thank's PBNA-Boosher & adadaead

Breeze147
10-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Previous comments deleted by poster. But, since people below have quoted me, others can see what I said. It is my fervent wish to avoid flame wars and in the future I will keep my personal feelings to myself. Will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut? Really, I just hope the f'ing thing works. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-25-2004, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:
A luxury not given to Americans on 7 Dec 41.

I have a bad feeling that PF is going to spawn some very ugly feelings between U.S. and Japan supporters. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. I'm sure there are a few narrow-minded people who still carry the flags (and demons) of our fathers and grandfathers, but the truth is most, if not everyone, on this forum hasn't been subjected to the strong feelings experienced during the war.

Hopefully, they won't pretend to either.

I appreciate the find Boosher. Compelling reading in many regards.

TB

p1ngu666
10-25-2004, 06:31 AM
id say there are no more than a dozen dedicated japanese plane fliers on the forum, if that.

cool, if a little scary site boosh

MajorBloodnok
10-25-2004, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:
A luxury not given to Americans on 7 Dec 41.

I have a bad feeling that PF is going to spawn some very ugly feelings between U.S. and Japan supporters. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never witnessed any ugly feelings between Germans and Russians/Poles/Czechs/French/British, etc. (or Finns and Russians) on these forums, some of whom entered the war after being the victim of aggression (even suprise attack). What makes the PTO so different?

Breeze147
10-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Oops! The caffeine made me do it. I'm going to edit the previous reply. I should have kept it to myself. Henceforth, I will avoid this type of thread.

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Amazing stuff, I`ve seen quotes from the US side, but NEVER the japanese. It`s stuff like this that gives me a TRUE idea of what the war was like for BOTH sides, just like with the Germans and the Allies. Priceless stuff, thankyou.

MajorBloodnok
10-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Oops! The caffeine made me do it. I'm going to edit the previous reply. I should have kept it to myself. Henceforth, I will avoid this type of thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

geetarman
10-25-2004, 09:03 AM
"At 4000 meters, the Zero model 21 could pursue the P-38 with ease." Huh?

Jungmann
10-25-2004, 01:36 PM
IMHO, threads like these do a great service, and I thank Boosher for starting this one.

If the development of hard-core sims like AEP/PF is towards greater realism, then one aspect of realism is the morale--the mind-set, the level of aggression, the attitude--of your opponent. Obviously, we're not to a point where our little puters can process any of that as part of a FM (maybe some day), but I think any insight into what the RL pilots were like adds to our sense of RL simulation and immersion in the game, even if it's just in the back of our heads.

Cheers,

ploughman
10-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Interesting and poetic insight into the "enemy mind." I was particularily touched by the voices of the kamikaze pilots who were defending their nation from a genocidal aggressor.

MajorBloodnok
10-26-2004, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ploughman:
Interesting and poetic insight into the "enemy mind." I was particularily touched by the voices of the kamikaze pilots who were defending their nation from a genocidal aggressor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

DONB3397
10-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Interesting thread. I suspect that most of us, sixty years after this war, keep two-dimensional national models that are a mixture of wartime propoganda, movies, and media. Too bad.

One of my uncles flew a goony bird in the South Pacific and witnessed hard things for a young man to forget. But he came back to the U.S., started a business, and ultimately had interests in Japan.

At a formal dinner in Tokyo, thirty years after the war, he was surprised when one of his business associates apologized for the war at dinner late one night. My uncle looked at the man, who was obviously sincere. He knew the importance of an apology in the culture, and it was an awkward pause in the good will and easy conversation of the evening.

Finally he asked, "Did you start the war?"

"No."

"Neither did I."