PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson WWI new film



La7_brook
08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Peter Jackson as been shooting this new film in NZ of late http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/EntertainmentNews/Hollywoodpr...D/33299/Default.aspx (http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/EntertainmentNews/HollywoodpraisesPeterJacksonWWIshortfilmshotinsecr et/tabid/418/articleID/33299/Default.aspx) heres YOU TUBE LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngywd4x1LTU

Phas3e
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
This caught us in NZ by surprise,
PJ has quite a collection of WW1 replica planes and the hope was there for a full length movie, but this has come out from nowhere.

HuninMunin
08-25-2007, 06:15 PM
This is NOT a upcoming WW1 movie.
It rather is a test film ( about 15min) for a new camera.
It does involve airplanes though.

leitmotiv
08-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Jackson is an excellent director---hmmmm, is it possible WWI is the new big thing? In which case we may get a really great WWI flying film. With that idiot Ken Burns' WWII doc coming soon on public TV, you can be assured it will spawn a flock of WWII films---WWII being the hardy perennial of war films.

jolly_magpie
08-25-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm hoping it's a test for Dam-busters....

DKoor
08-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Sweat, mud, blood & bayonetes....

djetz
08-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
...that idiot Ken Burns...

"Idiot" seems a little harsh. I find his films a little portentous, but he doesn't strike me as an idiot. He's certainly highly respected, and I don't recall hearing any controversy about him getting his facts wrong.

So what did he do that makes him an idiot in your opinion?

heywooood
08-26-2007, 12:25 AM
for what its worth - I thought the airial CG scenes in King Kong that Peter Jackson did were quite good...so if he is testing a camera for use in airplanes that could be a good thing.

Less CG and more real air to air action is welcome

leitmotiv
08-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by djetz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
...that idiot Ken Burns...

"Idiot" seems a little harsh. I find his films a little portentous, but he doesn't strike me as an idiot. He's certainly highly respected, and I don't recall hearing any controversy about him getting his facts wrong.

So what did he do that makes him an idiot in your opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where were you when every baseball buff in the USA was ready to lynch him for all the stupid errors he made in his baseball doc? It was a huge controversy. And, his jazz doc was so PC and unflattering to white jazz musicians it caused offense. Finally, I read an interview with him in NAVAL HISTORY magazine where the preposterous twit proceeded to pedantically lecture the interviewer on US naval history as if he were Samuel Eliot Morison himself, and it was clear the noodge didn't know a thing. He made a celebrity out of that 5th string hack, Shelby Foote, and only later did it come out Mr Foote had a little "issue" with the black race---he despised them. He publicly declared Nathan Bedford Forrest was a hero of the Civil War despite the little matter of his executing masses of black POWs. And, of course, we all know NBF was the founder of the KKK, right? I do not anticipate Burns will do anything more than he usually does with his WWII doc---make a very pretty, very vapid, very PC, and very poorly researched doc. He is a decorative stylist, not a rigorous researcher.

Von_Rat
08-26-2007, 03:24 AM
i know more than a little about the civil war, and i must say i enjoyed the ken burns documentary on it. its been somtime since ive seen it, but i don't recall any unforgivable errors in it.

iam not a baseball or jazz fan so i can;t comment on his accuracy regarding those subjects.

as for shelby foote i found his 3 volume set of books on the civil war excellant. as for his racist views, i found those books free of any racism. i admire him for his writing, not for any twisted views he might have regarding race.

NBF was a racist SOB, but he was also a pretty good military commander within his limits.

leitmotiv
08-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Whatever floats yer boat. I anticipate, like when I watched his jazz doc, I'll sit there for several nights getting my mind blown by Burns' fatuousness, and finally stop watching.

Blutarski2004
08-26-2007, 06:17 AM
For what it's worth there have been strong rumors afoot for several years now that Peter Jackson is working on a WW1 flying film. He apparently is a great buff of the period. This is reinforced by an unsubstantiated story out of Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome that the ORA director has visited with Jackson in NZ to discuss loan of some of the ORA WW1 aircraft.

This is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Blutarski2004
08-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Von_Rat:
i know more than a little about the civil war, and i must say i enjoyed the ken burns documentary on it. its been somtime since ive seen it, but i don't recall any unforgivable errors in it.

iam not a baseball or jazz fan so i can;t comment on his accuracy regarding those subjects.

as for shelby foote i found his 3 volume set of books on the civil war excellant. as for his racist views, i found those books free of any racism. i admire him for his writing, not for any twisted views he might have regarding race.

NBF was a racist SOB, but he was also a pretty good military commander within his limits.


..... I agree on all points.

Xiolablu3
08-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Forgive me, this is the first time I have heard of 'Ken Burns'.

But I have seen, what I THINK is his Civil War documentary?

Is it the one with an old man with a grufff voice narrating over mostly period mouthorgan music which plays tunes like 'Dixie' really slowly? ALso a lot of black and white photography (what else could it be, but just trying to describe it)?

If it is that one then its been repeated over and over in the UK. Its the best series on the civil war I have seen BTW. Not that theres many to choose from.

Blutarski2004
08-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Forgive me, this is the first time I have heard of 'Ken Burns'.

But I have seen, what I THINK is his Civil War documentary?

Is it the one with an old man with a grufff voice narrating over mostly period mouthorgan music which plays tunes like 'Dixie' really slowly? ALso a lot of black and white photography (what else could it be, but just trying to describe it)?

If it is that one then its been repeated over and over in the UK. Its the best series on the civil war I have seen BTW. Not that theres many to choose from.


..... That sounds like the one. I've always considered it more a social history of the ACW than a military history. Burns' first major documentary effort IIRC.