PDA

View Full Version : great book - a must read

jensenpark
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi all:

If you get a chance, nab the newly released:

A Writer At War - Vasily Grossman with the Red Army 1941 - 1945.

Edited by Antony Beevor who wrote the very highly praised 'Stalingrad' and 'Berlin, the downfall 1945'.

Vasily Grossman was a soviet correspondent for the Red Army paper, the Red Star.

He follows the war from the front from 1941 all the way to Berlin.

(it is Grossman that the side character of the newsman from "Enemy at the Gates" is based on).

Amazing first hand accounts of the war from the soviet side. He writes of the 'ruthless truth of war' and spares neither side - German or Soviet.

Grossman, who is Jewish, also writes the most chilling, frightening and moving commentary I have ever read on the Holocaust after visiting Treblinka.

A great read for those interested in the Eastern front.

jensenpark
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi all:

If you get a chance, nab the newly released:

A Writer At War - Vasily Grossman with the Red Army 1941 - 1945.

Edited by Antony Beevor who wrote the very highly praised 'Stalingrad' and 'Berlin, the downfall 1945'.

Vasily Grossman was a soviet correspondent for the Red Army paper, the Red Star.

He follows the war from the front from 1941 all the way to Berlin.

(it is Grossman that the side character of the newsman from "Enemy at the Gates" is based on).

Amazing first hand accounts of the war from the soviet side. He writes of the 'ruthless truth of war' and spares neither side - German or Soviet.

Grossman, who is Jewish, also writes the most chilling, frightening and moving commentary I have ever read on the Holocaust after visiting Treblinka.

A great read for those interested in the Eastern front.

rnzoli
02-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Interesting suggestion, although not entirelity related to air warfare.

Nevertheless, I looked up at amazon, here's the link, http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/184343055X/202...5021#product-details (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/184343055X/202-9156670-9275021#product-details).

There is a truly moving quote from the book about the death of civilians (2nd review).

MadBadVlad
02-13-2006, 03:44 AM
rnzoli wrote: "There is a truly moving quote from the book about the death of civilians (2nd review)"

Indeed, a well wrtten and moving piece.

This looks like an interesting read, even if not written by Beevor himself. Its difficult to find Russian WWII primary source info. that has not been propagandised or glorified in some way so this should be quite an important work.

I recently read Ivan's War: The Red Army 1939-45 by Catherine Merridale. Although this book claimed to cover the war from the average soldiers point of view with many first hand accounts I found that Merridale had actually included very few new accounts and most of those published were from a select few interviewees who did not really have much new to offer. Overall it was very disappointing.

Thanks for the heads-up ofn the Beevor book

djetz
02-14-2006, 05:43 AM
I tried reading Ivan's War, but I found it so dull I gave up. Great idea, badly done.

I will certainly get hold of A Writer At War when I can. I've read the Beevor books, all very good.

Actually, one of the best books I've read of that type is "Is Paris Burning?" by Larry Collins & Dominique Lapierre. Old book, but really well written and fascinating. Should be required reading for people who say the French were useless (or worse) in WW2.

It's the story of the liberation of Paris. The style is very similar to Cornelius Ryan, who did A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day.