PDA

View Full Version : 1191 AD

Omar1131
03-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Events
==============

April 14 - Pope Celestine III succeeds Pope Clement III as the 175th pope.

April 17 - Tusculum's destruction by Commune of Rome army.

May 12 - Richard I of England marries Berengaria of Navarre.

July 12 - Saladin's garrison surrenders, ending the two-year siege of Acre. Conrad of Montferrat, who has negotiated the surrender, raises the banners of the Kingdom of Jerusalem and of the Third Crusade leaders Richard I of England, Philip II of France, and Leopold V of Austria on the city's walls and towers.

September 7 - Third Crusade: Battle of Arsuf - Richard I of England defeats Saladin at Arsuf.

===================================

chewie1890
03-10-2007, 11:16 AM
And....?

XxKillabytexX
03-11-2007, 01:08 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Giving us a point of all this would make my life ALOT easier.

noobfun
03-11-2007, 06:47 AM
yes we know the game is in 1191 .... only relevant fact in there was the fall of acre

we know its in crusader hands so the game is set late in 1191

xasspenx
03-11-2007, 07:03 AM
I guess the game takes place just after the Saladin's loss at Arsuf. Am I close Omar1131?

noobfun
03-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by xasspenx:
I guess the game takes place just after the Saladin's loss at Arsuf. Am I close Omar1131?

ummm omar isnt a dev so he wouldnt know, all we know is 1191, crusaders hold acre so the makes it some where between mid july and the end of december

xasspenx
03-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Omar, i like a history lesson so keep on going!

princeofyo
03-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I think we'll get to see the battle of Asurf during the game.

noobfun
03-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by princeofyo:
I think we'll get to see the battle of Asurf during the game.

i know a battle was mentioned between richard and saladin but not sure which one it was

and it wasnt mentioned if you are involved in the actual battle or killing someone near the battle field, a commander watching the battle, or at the bagage train

xasspenx
03-11-2007, 08:15 AM
That sounds awesome! I cant wait until this game comes out. Its gonna be so awesome!

Omar1131
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
The Siege of Acre was the most important event of the Third Crusade, lasting from August 28, 1189 until July 12, 1191, and the first time in the history of the crusades that the king was compelled to personally see to the defence of the Holy Land. It was also the deadliest event of the whole period of the crusades, for the Christian ruling class of the east.

Battle of Acre=================

On October 4 1189 Saladin moved to the east of the city to confront Guy's camp. The crusader army under Guy stood its ground in front of Saladin's forces. The Christian army consisted of the feudal lords of the kingdom, many smaller contingents of European crusaders, and members of the military orders; the Muslim army consisted of troops from Egypt, Turkestan, Syria, and Mesopotamia.

The Muslims lay in a semicircle east of the city facing inwards towards Acre. The crusader army lay in between, with lighty-armed crossbowmen in the first line and the heavy cavalry in second. At the later Battle of Arsuf the Christians fought coherently; here the battle began with a disjointed combat between the Templars and Saladin's right wing. The crusaders were so far successful that the enemy had to send reinforcements from other parts of the field. Thus the steady advance of the Christian centre against Saladin's own corps, in which the crossbows prepared the way for the charge of the men-at-arms, met with no great resistance. Saladin's centre and right flanks were put to flight.

But the victors scattered to plunder. Saladin rallied his men, and, when the Christians began to retire with their booty, let loose his light cavalry upon them. No connected resistance was offered, and the Turks slaughtered the fugitives until checked by the fresh troops of the Christian right flank. Into this fight Guy's reserves, charged with holding back the Saracens in Acre, were also drawn, and, thus freed, 5,000 men sallied out from the town to the northward; uniting with the Saracen right wing, they fell upon the Templars, who suffered severely in their retreat. Gerard de Ridefort, Grand Master of the Templars, was killed. Andrew of Brienne was also killed and Conrad had to be rescued by Guy. In the end the crusaders repulsed the relieving army, but only at the cost of 7,000 men. Saladin could not push them back without another pitched battle, and his victory remained incomplete.

Aftermath=============================

The crusader army marched south, with the sea to their right and Saladin's army following them to their left. On September 7, they met at the Battle of Arsuf, north of Jaffa, in which Saladin was defeated. Richard captured Jaffa on September 10, but throughout the remainder of 1191 and into the summer of 1192, he was unable to realize his ultimate goal of recapturing Jerusalem. The dispute over the kingship of Jerusalem was resolved in April 1192, with the election of Conrad of Montferrat, but he was assassinated only days after his victory. The pregnant Queen Isabella was hastily married off to Richard and Philip's nephew, Henry of Champagne.

Meanwhile, Richard was informed that his brother John was attempting to usurp the throne in England. He arranged for a treaty with Saladin, and the Third Crusade came to an end. On the way home, he was taken prisoner by Leopold, and charged with the murder of Conrad, who was Leopold's cousin, and also with insulting the Duke by throwing down his banner at Acre. He was ransomed for an enormous price, and did not return to his own territories until 1194.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem was now relatively secure, with its new capital at Acre, from which a narrow strip along the Mediterranean coast was ruled. By 1291 all of this had been conquered as well, with Acre falling to the Mamluks that year.

thanks

=======

XxKillabytexX
03-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Exactally how much of this are you copying and pasting cause Wicki called and they want there info back.

******Oh god that last joke that i said was so lame sorry you guys had to go through it I really am.....honnest******

Omar1131
03-12-2007, 05:39 AM
at least giving some information to the people is better than just sitting and watching the threads,isn't it?

noobfun
03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Omar1131:
at least giving some information to the people is better than just sitting and watching the threads like you,u idiot

he means quote ya sources plx

omar the problem with what your posting some of it is involved some of it isnt.

were dealing with mid to late 1191. acre has fallen the cities muslims slaughtered and the christians have started repopulating the city.

the battle of arsuf is relevant as we get to go sight seeing there. the rest is nice to read but ...

andy276
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by danny.b87:
well i just wanted to say that the site is updated i dont know if you know but i just wanted to say it

http://www.1191ad.com/index_public.html Did you notice this thread isn't about the site called 1191 AD but about events in the actual year 1191 AD?

moqqy
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by danny.b87:
well i just wanted to say that the site is updated i dont know if you know but i just wanted to say it

http://www.1191ad.com/index_public.html

HAHAHA.