PDA

View Full Version : Ubi, you know why u have piracy?

desonnac0
12-03-2009, 02:05 AM
So, console version is out and there are already reviews... but PC gamers don't have squat. Why in the name of all that is gaming does Ubi think that people are actually going to BUY a game that's been out for 5 months after you've seen EVERYTHING in this game on youtube or somewhere else?
I mean, sure- we'll all play the game, but seriously- why would I buy a game just to get the chance to push the buttons myself? Cuz I've already seen the story unfold n stuff.
Why does Ubi have a problem with piracy?
BECAUSE THEY S***W PC GAMERS.
Hey Ubi, I've got an idea- piracy WILL be LESS if you stop ignoring the people that you should be pleasing. I am more incline to buy a game made for my platform than a damn port that's months old.
Look what happened to Halo 2

PlagueVictim
12-03-2009, 02:35 AM
So let me get this straight, you think that because you have gone to youtube and seen some footage of the game that means theres no point in playing it??? The game is a pleasure to play and its a lot more than just "push the buttons". Yes its a shame that the PC version is taking a while to be released but the people complaining are usually the same people who are outraged when a game is released when it is half finished and buggy. If you want a quality game you have to wait, and PC games have a lot of compatibility issues to resolve since there is a lot of different hardware out there.

HewieAlbino
12-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Plus, PC people would likely get new content and patches not available on the console version unless it's DLC.

Just have patience. Trust me, watching a game being played and playing it yourself are two different experiences.

caswallawn_2k7
12-03-2009, 03:34 AM
people who come out with comments like this are funny, they make excuses why piracy happens then when it changes there is still piracy.

this comment is really funny considering the 360 version was leaked and pirated even before the official release date.

then you have the people who say it's because of stuff like securom why things get pirated, some1 released a online game with no security and about 70% of the players were using pirate copies. (players compared to sales so it could of been even worse)

people complain it's about price so some games got released cheaper they still got pirated.

the fact is no matter what happens there will always be people who pirate games, you are just making excuses to justify it like every other person who believes these things will actually change anything.

Atkamon
12-03-2009, 07:01 AM
You say that, like you HAVE to watch the whole story unfold in videos... I'm waiting for the PC version too, and guess what, I don't have a clue about the story, I only know what they told us before it was released. No one forces you to watch the whole game on youtube.

Also, the button pushing stuff... If playing a game is like watching a video with button pushing for you, then its totally okay that you watched the whole thing on the web. You can spare a lot of money that way... But for most of us, playing the game is a totally different experience, than watching a movie.

Vozlov-2-9
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
/\ Wut he said.

"Why does Ubi have a problem with piracy?
BECAUSE THEY S***W PC GAMERS."

Say WHAT?

SWJS
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I love how PC gamers get good games and special treatment with higher graphics and better controls, and then when a game they want gets delayed in order to improve it: "U HAET PC GAEMRZ! REVOLUTION!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

A game I wanted badly, Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon, was to be released on 360 and PS3, and was delayed SEVEN TIMES before it finally released. A week before release, THQ cancelled the PS3 version, and to top it off, the game still came out unpolished and glitchy. It got 4s and 5s just because of the graphics, and some critics bashed it for nonsense like, and I quote racially insensitive dialogue, just because they disliked it, never once mentioning one good thing about the game. Oh, so it's okay Little Jacob from GTA IV has a ludicrously-thick over-the-top Jamaican accent, yet the characters from the Hong Kong parody in DAH! speak like they're in a bad 70s Kung Fu movie and it is suddenly the most horrible crime in the industry and you absolutely have to bash the game for no other reason? Bull.

/rant

Trust me dude, the developement team at Ubi doesn't hate you. Let them delay it and make it better for you. You're getting better treatment than most of us get.

Ascorius
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Many producers believe that they increase sold copies and decrease piracy by waiting with the PC-release. And I get why. Tons of people have both a console (or several like myself), and a gamingrig.

L.Cie
12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Why in the name of all that is gaming does Ubi think that people are actually going to BUY a game that's been out for 5 months after you've seen EVERYTHING in this game on youtube or somewhere else?

Gamers in PAL/EU regions usually have to wait anywhere from two weeks to a year longer for most games, on every platform. Five months is nothing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

We also tend to have to pay more -- even double.

Neo_Age
12-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I mean, sure- we'll all play the game, but seriously- why would I buy a game just to get the chance to push the buttons myself?

You're the type that thinks once he's seen something on the TV that he doesnt need to see it in real life arnt you.

Rodriquezz
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah i ain't gonna buy it too, i made some pop corn and watched the HD walkthrough on Youtube, was good trip!

Most of the times the improvements are simply not there and it's a 1:1 port. It's just a timebuffer where the evil PC pirates don't get their hands on the game and in the meantime they milk off the money from the console casuals, that's the truth and that's why there is a delay.

For the PC version they just set the graphics from medium to high and enable Antialiasing - tadaaa PC version is finished.

It's all about the money, not about the gamer's interest.

G0dsHolyMember
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
OP's post is rediculous. Like saying that looking at someone else's hot girlfriend is the same as being in a relationship with her, and that's why he cheats on his own already.

ummmm...

^_^

Rodriquezz
12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by G0dsHolyMember:
OP's post is rediculous. Like saying that looking at someone else's hot girlfriend is the same as being in a relationship with her, and that's why he cheats on his own already.

ummmm...

^_^

First http://how-to-spell-ridiculous.com/

and secondly that a really terrible comparison, if you are good you don't have to wait half a year to grab away the hot girlfriend.

HewieAlbino
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Rodriquezz:
Yeah i ain't gonna buy it too, i made some pop corn and watched the HD walkthrough on Youtube, was good trip!

Most of the times the improvements are simply not there and it's a 1:1 port. It's just a timebuffer where the evil PC pirates don't get their hands on the game and in the meantime they milk off the money from the console casuals, that's the truth and that's why there is a delay.

For the PC version they just set the graphics from medium to high and enable Antialiasing - tadaaa PC version is finished.

It's all about the money, not about the gamer's interest.

I don't know if your post was meant to be sarcasm or not, but I'm going to say that porting a game from console to PC is more then just optimizing graphics.

PC and consoles run on different firmwares or computer languages you can say. There are different controls and specs to take care of, as well as issues with PCs that consoles do not have. So what Ubisoft basically has to do, is reprogram and rescript the WHOLE game for it to work on PC.

The game models are there, the animations are there, the collision and dynamic effects are there, but they need a suitable script to follow so that the game will be able to work and run as you have seen. To top it off, even after they have rewritten everything, there is still the bug testing stage and the publishing stage, both which will take about a month to finalize and resolve.

It's like translating a book to a different language. Someone actually has to rewrite everything and proof read it, not just change the front cover and title.

POPersiaT2T
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
maybe UBI intend to delay the PC version in order to decrease piracy and only begin to work on PC version after the game was released on consoles. that's why they need extra time to develop the PC version.

Xenlecan
12-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Decrease piracy? Maybe. Just now getting to work on it? No. Just...no.

firewaterearth2
12-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by HewieAlbino:
Plus, PC people would likely get new content and patches not available on the console version unless it's DLC.

Oh sure... *points to Prince of Persia DLC drama*.

Just have patience. Trust me, watching a game being played and playing it yourself are two different experiences.

I play games because of the story I get to experience. Why should I even bother when I already know what's going to happen? I managed it to stay spoiler free for now. But it's going to be a long spoiler risky time until AC2 is released.

HewieAlbino
12-04-2009, 01:28 AM
I watched AC1 gameplay vids on Youtube before I even picked up the game. Did that stop me from playing it? No.

Sure I know the story and ending, sure I know who I have to kill and what will happen. But to me, the best part of the game is the ability to free-run and assassinate guards and targets as I see fit.

Yes I understand story is important, but don't forget, first and foremost it's a game. If you'd rather treat it like a movie, fine by me. If you prefer staying in a back seat instead of taking the wheel, go ahead. Just have to say you'll be missing out on one of the most amazing game of the decade.

JudgeQwerty
12-04-2009, 06:09 AM
No offense, but you should be poeased they're even porting it to PC. The vast majority of games only come out on one or two platforms. The fact that they're taking the time to translate it into PC means you should be thanking Ubi for working overtime instead of going on vacation with their pay from selling so many copies with the first release. Transferring a game from console to PC or vice versa is VERY DIFFICULT!! Selecting compatible graphics cards, splitting the game across multiple discs, and converting every single file into code yopur Windows or Mac can read. The CONTROL SCHEME is always a nightmare!!

There is a REASON they have to release it later and its NOT because they don't respect you. If they didn't respect you, they'd have just released a sloppy knock off weeks ago.

NeonXXV
12-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
No offense, but you should be poeased they're even porting it to PC. The vast majority of games only come out on one or two platforms. The fact that they're taking the time to translate it into PC means you should be thanking Ubi for working overtime instead of going on vacation with their pay from selling so many copies with the first release.

lolwut?

We should be thankful for a BS excuse for delaying the game? As I said already, AC1 leaked TWO MONTHS before PC release date, and it was FULLY FUNCTIONAL, but it didn't just have Jerusalem map file. What does that mean? The game could've been released 2 months earlier.

Thankful for PC release? Jesus Christ, it's not like they're doing us a favor. They're doing it just to suck off more money because they know PC users have no over way but to wait, that is unless they succumb and buy Xbox/ps3, and that is what Microsoft wants.

Yes, Microsoft has been ignoring PC gaming for quite a while now, and giving us something like the recent Games for Windows on Demand is just sad. Want examples? Sure. PC version of Alan Wake, first announced as a Vista exclusive, with usage of Quad Cores, now PC version has been stalled and the decision to release it lies within a publisher. Now who is the publisher of Alan Wake? No other than Microsoft itself.

Probably the same thing with Ubi.

kleaneasy
12-04-2009, 06:25 AM
This discussion is already well established in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6491071297), please continue any discussion there but bear in mind any posts encouraging piracy will be removed and the poster subject to suspension or ban