PDA

View Full Version : An Innovative way for Carrying Weapons (kinda long)

DigitalZombie
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
This might get buried or moved to the Wishlist thread, but I'll try anyway.

One thing concurrent within the Far Cry series has been sandbox open-world environments, allowing the player to choose their approach, and therefor their own style of gameplay. Carrying weapons is one element though where there the games have limited your options (and not just in the Far Cry series). In Far Cry 1 you had four weapon slots open to carrying whatever you wanted, but the available weapons were slightly limited. Far Cry 2 had a smorgasbord of available weapons, but this time you were limited to one slot for heavy weapons, one for an assault weapon, one for a pistol, and one for a melee weapon.

What I propose is a simple space distribution system that would allow you to carry whatever you like as long as it fits within a maximum volume capacity to add a hint or realism. I haven't seen this in an FPS before, but it was fun for me to customize my loadout in Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion. It could work like this:

Maximum capacity = 7 weapon slots
Grenades = 0.5 slots
Melee weapons and pistols = 1 slot
Sub machine guns = 2 slots
Assault rifles and shotguns = 3 slots
Heavy weapons (LMGs, RPG launchers, Sniper, etc.) = 4 slots

This way, the player could tailor their weapon inventory to their particular style of play. For example: 1 assault rifle, 1 sub machine gun, a machete, and 2 grenades (for the all-arounder). -or- 1 LMG, a hi-powered pistol, and four grenades (for the demolition guy). -or- 1 RPG laucher, and a shotgun (for the power junkie).

I suppose it would only make sense to allow you to go over by 1 point, but at the same time inhibiting you from being able to run. Good for if you already have a nice loadout, but you come across a sniper post complete with rifle, and you want to swap out your assault rifle for a minute while you snipe your targets.

What do you think of this idea? Would it be too limiting, or do you think it's an interesting way for players to customize their gameplay experience?

Hobodealer
06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Hmm, I love the idea but I think it's a bit late to be making such a big change like that. Personally I'm fine with Far Cry 2's system.

Dark_0dyssey
06-23-2011, 06:04 AM
ah i like this reminds me of commandos 2 i approve

RaZoRFINNISH
06-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I think they should also consider a dynamic system which changes the player's speed in relation to the inventory weight (Weaponry) and the player's health - like. with a LMG you should be able to move slowly and running should consume a lot of stamina, and jumping should be very low with LMGs (Also this was a problem in FC2, everyone just bunnyhopped with M249 SAW.)