PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster Warthog



Urufu_Shinjiro
12-23-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.thrustmaster.com/

I know this was posted some time ago in another flight stick thread, but they have since updated the flash animation ad with more info! Thought some of you may not have seen this yet. Also some guys at the eagle.ru forums got some screen caps:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=33753&d=1259394928

Aviar
12-23-2009, 08:47 PM
If you're interested in an A-10 HOTAS, you may find this appealing:

http://www.ch-hangar.com/SiteF.../CHProd_IITSEC_2.jpg (http://www.ch-hangar.com/SiteFiles/Images/product_images/CHProd_IITSEC_2.jpg)

Aviar

na85
12-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow 6kg... that can't be cheap for shipping.

For you Yanks that's about 13 pounds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Waldo.Pepper
12-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by na85:
For you Yanks that's about 13 pounds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Blimey 13 pounds, that's nearly a stone!

And I think that Thrustmaster Warthog - is a terrific pron name.

Ba5tard5word
12-24-2009, 12:32 AM
What is a "warthog pil"???

Col.BBQ
12-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
What is a "warthog pil"???

Take a soda can and shove it where the sun does not shine. That's the "Warthog Pil".

ytareh
12-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Wow !As if the original Cougar HOTAS was too flimsy ...!Personally Id have no interest whatsoever in this having tried and hated the original 'F16' based one.Theres so much to consider before buying this not least will your pc table support it !The spring isnt particularly strong ,in fact its as limp as cooked spaghetti around the centre only stiffening into a hard plasticky feel round the edge/gate...Cost will no doubt be astronomical too....to be honest Id be more excited about and interested in trying a T16000M but none of my local shops seem to do it ...Its just RIDICULOUS that the stiffest spring in a manistream joystick is in the 30-50 euro/quid/buck Logitech Extreme 3d pro...I would pay big money for a PROPER tight springed joystick.As I said I did the whole Cougar thing and apart from being highly impressed with the thing, IN the box, it was downhill from there .Theres simply no need for a joystick that heavy ...Its utterly impractical except maybe for home cockpit builders...Surely theres got to be a sensible middle ground and no its not CH products either (even softer springs)...
MIND YOU if we go back to the silly quest for ultra realism what would a real warbird stick feel like ?Completely flimsy/floppy on the ground to unbelievably stiff when pulling out of 400mph dive?!

PF_Coastie
12-24-2009, 04:41 PM
MIND YOU if we go back to the silly quest for ultra realism what would a real warbird stick feel like ?Completely flimsy/floppy on the ground to unbelievably stiff when pulling out of 400mph dive?!

Yeah, just like MSFFB! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Frankthetank36
12-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Its just RIDICULOUS that the stiffest spring in a manistream joystick is in the 30-50 euro/quid/buck Logitech Extreme 3d pro

I had a Saitek Evo and that thing was insanely stiff around the center. You really needed to yank it away and then when it got away from center it would jolt over from all the excess force needed. Aiming was pretty much impossible. Needless to say I won't be buying another Saitek anytime soon.

squareusr
12-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Completely flimsy/floppy on the ground to unbelievably stiff when pulling out of 400mph dive?!

If you can't move the stick off-center by blowing some air at it it's too stiff at the center.

BigC208
12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
If this thing ever becomes available for the common man, I hope they use HAL sensors and good quality switches. I have had 2 Cougars so far and am only using the stick right now, combined with a CH usb pro throttle. Don't care if it costs $500 to get a proper setup from the start. Beats buying 2 Cougars for $400 and still having to use that CH throttle because the original is porked again. If CH brings their version of the A-10 Hotas to market I'll probably get that one. Never had any CH gear break on me, that's since the first flightstick Pro I got in 1994.

Chivas
12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Whats wrong with the Cougar throttle. I wouldn't mind purchasing one as a spare if its fixable. The throttles placement of rotaries and switches are perfect atleast for me.

Worf101
12-29-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with most said here about Thrustmaster products. I love my UberCougar but had to spend an extra $400 to get it even close to being what it should've been out the box. AND STILL the springs in IJ's Uber mod break on a regular basis (one's broken now) requiring me to take the whole damn thing apart and repair it again. Sigh... Can anyone in this world make a substantial feeling joystick that doesn't flop but also doesn't require a G.I.Joe Kung Fu Grip to operate?

Worf

Sokol__1
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
New baner in Thrustmaster site.

-HALL sensor in every axis.
-No gimbal like in cougar - but James Nut stat that stick moves.
-Thottle base panel that replicat one in A-10C.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9118/image144.png

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7540/bigblaff.jpg

Sokol1

skarden
01-09-2010, 07:42 PM
This looks so very good,I'd even forgo the force feedback goodness of the new logitech stick I was leaning towards for my new controller for something this nice,it would be kik *** for the new A-10 DCS module as well,hell it's be great for any modern flight simulator really.I wonder what it'll cost us aussies when it's released down here.

wolf-striked
01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
WOW!!!! looks like Thrustmaster has gone the way of no stick movement like Saitek has.Now the waiting game as to reviews of which one is better though I am already leaning towards the Warthog.

EDIT....sokol says "-No gimbal like in cougar - but James Nut stat that stick moves." Interesting,how can it move without some sort of gimbal mechanism?

grifter2u
01-11-2010, 03:09 AM
any release date yet for this new unit ?

and does the stick physically move on this new unit ? hope so, the rigid stick with resistance measurements translating into movement would feel very uncomfortable for longer flights etc..

whats the deal with the 3kg being so good, i suspect that it doesnt represent the wheight and quality of the guts of the stick, but rather the manufacturer adding some concrete in the hollow spaces to add wheight (steel wheight being to expensive to add, at its current cost per ton). something weighing a lot used to be a sign of quality components and solid construction, adding ballast for the sake of it is something rather different imo

this looks like the most exiting new hotas on the horizon, really hope it is worth all the buzz when it appears in the flesh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FishCookie
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM
I would think that the stick will definatley move, it's a replica of the A10c Flight control system which is not force sensing but the traditional system. It just doesn't use the same gimbal mechanism as the Cougar did.

Sokol__1
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
it's a replica of the A10c Flight control

In 3D renders of Tm banner show that stick are a better replica of F-16 stick. A-10C stick don't have paddle lever...

Sokol1

julian265
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by wolf-striked:
WOW!!!! looks like Thrustmaster has gone the way of no stick movement like Saitek has.Now the waiting game as to reviews of which one is better though I am already leaning towards the Warthog.

EDIT....sokol says "-No gimbal like in cougar - but James Nut stat that stick moves." Interesting,how can it move without some sort of gimbal mechanism?

Ball joint with two axis Hall effect sensor chip maybe

Viper2005_
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
I agree with most said here about Thrustmaster products. I love my UberCougar but had to spend an extra $400 to get it even close to being what it should've been out the box. AND STILL the springs in IJ's Uber mod break on a regular basis (one's broken now) requiring me to take the whole damn thing apart and repair it again. Sigh... Can anyone in this world make a substantial feeling joystick that doesn't flop but also doesn't require a G.I.Joe Kung Fu Grip to operate?

Worf
After one spring failure too many, I abandoned my U2Nxt for force transducers, and I've never looked back. They cost and arm and a leg, but they have worked flawlessly since installation despite the fact that I've logged enough hours since then to wear much of the paint off the stick (the trigger is now natural metal!) and have been lugging the stick & throttle backwards and forwards between home and university on a regular basis for years.

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb.html

Insuber
04-14-2010, 04:41 AM
What would be the issues to use it for a WWII sim? I assume none, am I optimistic?

Ins

Black_Ops7
04-14-2010, 06:54 AM
What i dont understand is why thrustmaster stil has no official info page on the warthog.

I understand the need for secrecy BUT the competition already announced and released their new HOTAS products, accept for CH.

Saitek X65f
Logitech G940


Why is CH so slow with releasing a new HOTAS product?
(Yes i know CH announced a military grade HOTAS but that is not for home use and does not have a price that can compete with the other HOTAS products)

Chivas
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Is this a force sensing stick or does it move?

Black_Ops7
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
flash banner has been updated
http://www.thrustmaster.com/

(and price is not 312 euro, but 400 euro)

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Black_Ops7:
flash banner has been updated
http://www.thrustmaster.com/

(and price is not 312 euro, but 400 euro)

Holy crap! It really looks nice (better not have any cougar type issues) but over $500usd? Not that nice....

rfxcasey
05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Aviar:
If you're interested in an A-10 HOTAS, you may find this appealing:

http://www.ch-hangar.com/SiteF.../CHProd_IITSEC_2.jpg (http://www.ch-hangar.com/SiteFiles/Images/product_images/CHProd_IITSEC_2.jpg)

Aviar

Wow! That looks pretty freaking awesome. Though I would probably go with the Logitech dual trottle instead because it got all the pretty lit buttones.

This right here http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr...tID=168&PlatformID=5 (http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=168&PlatformID=5) would be excellent if you put the right sized LCD screen behind it. http://www.thrustmaster.com/Up...les/3409/MFD-VT1.jpg (http://www.thrustmaster.com/Upload/1/thrustmaster/products/168/8/Files/3409/MFD-VT1.jpg)

Man the controller companies are coming out with some really great stuff lately, though not cheap but you hope to only have to buy 1 for a long time.

LLv34_Flanker
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
S!

Still using TM Cougar. Today it got a slight mod though. I disassembled it and took it to the workshop at work and nicely asked(read:bribed) the guy there to make some fixes for it. So he fixed the play it had in a very nice way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A completely new feel again!

Another thing I did while the gimbal was under modding..I took the casing of the Cougar and sandblasted it(small glass pebbles used) and then painted stick with MIL paint, F/A-18 cockpit Anti Glare Black http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Damn it looks hot now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Back to topic, will get a Warthog when released. That way I do not need to mod my Cougar to use Hall-sensors.

rfxcasey
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by LLv34_Flanker:
S!

Still using TM Cougar. Today it got a slight mod though. I disassembled it and took it to the workshop at work and nicely asked(read:bribed) the guy there to make some fixes for it. So he fixed the play it had in a very nice way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A completely new feel again!

Another thing I did while the gimbal was under modding..I took the casing of the Cougar and sandblasted it(small glass pebbles used) and then painted stick with MIL paint, F/A-18 cockpit Anti Glare Black http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Damn it looks hot now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Back to topic, will get a Warthog when released. That way I do not need to mod my Cougar to use Hall-sensors.

If it looks so "damn hot" why not post some pics so we can all drool over it?

LLv34_Flanker
05-22-2010, 12:46 AM
S!

Will do when I get the throttle painted too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Will not paint the handles though as the original paint is suited better for them. Next week dismantling the throttle. Maybe the workshop can mod it too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rfxcasey
05-22-2010, 04:38 AM
Humph, must be nice........

LLv34_Flanker
05-22-2010, 04:52 AM
S!

Sometimes work has it privileges http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rfxcasey
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Still want pics!!!!!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif