PDA

View Full Version : Good Match For Spitfire IX

Superio83
02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Can anyone tell me which non-Allied Axis fighters are considered a close, worthy match in combat performance to the Spitfire IX ? I often load up Bf 109G-14 to practice with. But not sure if that's a good match, as I find I'm getting better at out-maneuvering it. The Yaks, Zeros and La, on the other hands, are too superior to fight with.

Superio83
02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Can anyone tell me which non-Allied Axis fighters are considered a close, worthy match in combat performance to the Spitfire IX ? I often load up Bf 109G-14 to practice with. But not sure if that's a good match, as I find I'm getting better at out-maneuvering it. The Yaks, Zeros and La, on the other hands, are too superior to fight with.

Kuna_
02-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Good match for Spitfire Mk.9 in game would be Bf-109G6AS. G10 is somewhat superior but that is different from patch to patch but K4 is undoubtely superior. But all that heavily depends on player experience and skill.

You will also find that Yak, LA, Zero those that you have mentioned are really inferior to both Spitfire and Bf-109.
Once you learn how to fight with speed and obtain proper gunnery skills you will laugh at them. Exception is Yak-9U which has excellent performance and is optimized for higher altitudes too.

Two things that will always secure you a win in any aerial battle:
-speed
-altitude

mynameisroland
02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Try setting the Quick Battles altitude to an initial 6000m. At this altitude you should be able to beat any Bf 109.

The best match for the Spitfire IX is an Fw 190 A6 set at AI Ace the Fw 190 is a very good match for the IX but uses a completely different methodology. The Bf 109 is too similar and if you are skilled with the Spitfire IX you will be all over it like a rash. Yaks, La's and lets face it any Japanese fighters dont stand a chance if you keep the fight above 3000m. Wait for the IX 25lb boost for low level furballs.

Superio83
02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm surprise to learn the Yak, La, Zero are no match for Spit. I tried before fighting below 1000 ft and these always get to my Six, even though I usually beat the Bf 109s / FW 190s with no problem.

Unknown-Pilot
02-07-2006, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
Try setting the Quick Battles altitude to an initial 6000m. At this altitude you should be able to beat any Bf 109.

The best match for the Spitfire IX is an Fw 190 A6 set at AI Ace the Fw 190 is a very good match for the IX but uses a completely different methodology. The Bf 109 is too similar and if you are skilled with the Spitfire IX you will be all over it like a rash. Yaks, La's and lets face it any Japanese fighters dont stand a chance if you keep the fight above 3000m. Wait for the IX 25lb boost for low level furballs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AI sucks in FWs. At any level. And in P-47s. And in anything that can't turn.

Going up against an AI 190, even on Ace, is like going up against a rookie AI in a good turning plane. So the 190 vs an Ace AI in the Spit would work ok.

The Spitfire IXe is the worst IMO. Slow, and slow rolling at normal combat speeds (but then I do mostly fly the 190 lately, coming back to it from the P-47), it just feels impossible to use. I would much prefer the IXc or the VIII.

And the only way to beat a Yak or Ki-84 is to sucker them into a turn fight. If they use their speed, you're toast. Even a Yak3 can run away from a Spitfire. I'd hate to see what a Yak9U would do. Given that they are almost as good in a turn, that added speed makes all the difference. Fly them with an eye to E management and the Spitfires are pushovers.

ElAurens
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Interesting.

In human vs. human engagements the Ki 84 is totally outcl***ed by the Spitfire IX and VIII. They can outdive and outturn you, and have about the same speed. Even starting with an altitude advantage the Ki 84 is quickly ground down by the Spit.

The Ki84 is not the "uber" plane it used to be.

Unless you are fighting Corsairs...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

ElAurens
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, and turn off the bloody word filter OK?

It is infantile.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

mynameisroland
02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
dont want to ruin the Ki 84 is uber campaign , but .... as I said in another post I routinely wipe the floor with Ki 84's in my Spitfire IX e CW. This is online against some very good and some not very good pilots. The Spitfire can follow the Ki 84 in a climing turn and there is no reason for it ever to be above you as even the CW Spit has excellent altitude capabilities.

Xiolablu3
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Ki84/Zero/Ki61 vs Spit 8/9/Corsair makes a great online battle. Map is Burma 44

The Ki84 is faster than the Spit so can dicate the fight, but he only has to make a mistake and the Spitfire is on him. Zero can turn better than the Spitfire. I love flying both sides on those pacific maps on Ukded1 and 2.

A good Fw190A pilot can also make life very difficult for a Spitfire 8/9. Again he can dictate the fight and keep things fast, if the SPit gets in front of his guns then he is ripped to pieces.

I suggest anyone who thinks the Spitfire 8/9 is 'uber' takes on Mynameisroland/Boemher in his FW190A6/A8 on Ukdedictated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Using Ki84's or Fw190A's vs Spitfires is an EXCELLENT way to learn energy fighting and just how it can win the day over the best TnB fighters every time if done correctly.

Oh and 109G6A/S is excellent for fighting Spits, use the mk108 nose gun if you like it, I prefer the 20mm. It is faster than the SPit and can climb better so just use these strengths to dictate the battle.

Super, come and join us online. You will leanr SO much quicker than playing off line. Just offer to be a good pilots wingman, stay above him and cover his *** when he gets into trouble and WATCH what he does. He will be greatful of the help and you will learn. Ukdedicated is a great server to learn on. Server 1 for wonderwoman, server 2 for cockpit on, which ever you prefer.

VW-IceFire
02-07-2006, 03:12 PM
A Bf109G-6A/S or Bf109G-6 Late are both good and fairly even matches to the Spitfire LF.IX. Speed, turn, and overall performance are similar. The Spit is better at some and the 109 better at others.

The G-10 is head and shoulders above the Spitfire IX in this patch. The G-10 I liken to Mustang like performance with Bf109 manuverability.

Xiolablu3
02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Agreed, the only thing I dont like about the later 109's like the G10/G14/K4 is they are very very nose heavy at fast speeds.

This effect is reproduced brilliantly in the game. The heavy Mk108 in the nose is very noticable when trying to pull your nose up at speed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Shame we cant have the MG151/20mm G10/G14/K4.

The faster you go the worse the later 109's become. You really 'feel' all that extra weight in the game, which is fantastic programming.

ImpStarDuece
02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I find that the Yak-9 and Yak-3 are very comprable to the Spitfire in a low to medium speeds and low o medium altitudes. The Bf-109G6AS, La-5FN and Fw-190A6 also provide a really good fight. The Ki-84 used to be quite an overmatch for the Spitfires, but I really haven't flown it in the last 6 months, so I don't know how it performs any more.

Xiolablu3
02-07-2006, 03:53 PM
You should come and fly with us on UKdedicated one night ImpstarDeuce. UKD1 has wonderwoman UKd2 has pit on. Great missions/maps and great admins/regulars.

Pit on is better in my opinion but its not always got anyone playing, where as UKded1 WW is usually pretty full. Anyway, the great company and teamwork makes up for the relaxed server settings on UKd1.

As not everyone connects through Hyperlobby it seems to have less people in than there really is. These are fantastic servers for a relaxed, fun game.

Not seen you on recently Kuna http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif, you used to be on a lot, where have you gone mate? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ImpStarDuece
02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't fly online anymore. I used to fly as Warclouds and UKDedicated about 4 nights a week, but between my control issues from 4.02 and the number of personal issues some people choose to bring with them to the game, I decided that offline was actually more fun and far more immersive.

Right now I'm diving into campaign building. If we could get some bombs on the Mk IIc Hurricane and the Mk V Spitfires, I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

Xiolablu3
02-07-2006, 04:15 PM
DAmn! Sorry to hear that mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I guess I am a noob compared to you...

If you ever decide to take it up again, come and visit us not for flying skills, just for fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)) We will go on a mass bomber assault to the targets so that fighter skills/wobbly controls dont matter. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Build some maps for us to play on the UKded servers!

Grey_Mouser67
02-07-2006, 04:55 PM
For offline enjoyment...the 109G6A/S and the G-6 late are pretty good match ups against the Spit....online too for that matter.

There are still issues with the AI...I am guessing, but based on what I have deducted the AI can and do fly around on full boost with radiators closed all the time...the G-6Late is particularly adept at outrunning or maybe I should say outclimbing all allied planes at all altitudes...even beyond its critical alt...eventually, they turn around and die, but it is quite frustrating to be in a Mustang or Lightning watching the 109 walk away from you...I really wish Oleg would address this as it is a real immersion killer.