PDA

View Full Version : Fighter plane bombing

lmysel
02-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I am a newbie and am having an awful time bombing targets in fighter planes such as the F4F, Corsair, etc. Is anyone aware of a tutorial for bombing w/o use of a bombsight.

lmysel
02-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I am a newbie and am having an awful time bombing targets in fighter planes such as the F4F, Corsair, etc. Is anyone aware of a tutorial for bombing w/o use of a bombsight.

han freak solo
02-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I really suck at bombing. My best chances are dive bombing from as perpindicular to the target as possible. Even then I probably hit my target 1 out of six times.

Skip bombing can be fun, too. Just delay your bomb fuse in the arming section before your flight. Otherwise, you may blow yourself to pieces.

HotelBushranger
02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
It's pretty much a matter of learning to understand the characteristics of both your plane, and your weapon load. HVAR rockets pretty much go in a straight line, Tiny Tims require you to aim below the dot in the gunsight, don't ask me about that, with bombs, if skip bombing I have a 2 second time fuse, which is extra precation, as if you dive down at a ship at 1000 metres, you'll be going about 500 ks an hour, which pretty much means most of the time you'll fly past before the explosion. Bombing ground targets is harder, it depends largely on speed and height. Best bet is just fly level, drop the bomb, Ctr F2 to see where it lands, and keep practising that at different speeds and heights. When you've mastered that, try from different positions, like dive bombing etc.
IMO fighter bombing is easier than bombsight bombing, I can't do that for the life of me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Akronnick
02-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Hitting a target with a bomb consists of two skills;

1. Lining up your aircraft with the target

and

2. Releasing the bombs (or Rockets) at the precise moment so that they fall on the target, not in front of or behind it

Try to choose a situation where you have many targets lined up in a row, such as vehicles on a row, or a row of parked aircraft, or a ship(bow to stern)

Lining up the target is pretty easy with low level attacks,it's no more difficult than lining up on a runway for landing. The hard part is judging the range, i.e. calculating how far ahead of where you release the bomb will hit. That's were picking a long target comes in handy. If your bombing a line of trucks for example, if you come in already lined up to the trucks it doesn't matter too much if you miscalculate the range, because chances are you'll hit something down there no matter when you drop.

Other things to consider:

Too stay out of the bomb blast, either set a delay on your bomb fuse or keep above a minimum altitude. I prefer the latter, with my minimum altitude being 750-1000 feet, depending on the size of the bombs I'm using, and how hard I can pull up after bomb release.

Also be aware of the release pattern for the loadout your using. Most bombs and rockets fire in pairs in Il-2, so if your carrying three bombs, you'll have to hit the pickle button twice. It's also a good Idea to wait a second or so between releases. Three 500 lb'ers on top of each other aren't nearly as efective as if you spread them out some. With rockets I like to fire one pair, watch where they go and if necessary correct my aimpoint before I fire the rest of them,

3.JG51_BigBear
02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I've been playing for three years and I have only been able to bomb using one of two strategies (this includes level bombers with bomb sites because I've never been in a position where I had the time to set it up properly). The first is flying as low to the ground as humanly possibly with a fairly long bomb delay. When you're low to the ground the bombs pretty much fall right under the plane so there is no dive path estimation. If you set the delay long enough you won't have any problems with your ride being shot up by your own bombs. The second strategy is dive bombing. Dive bombing is a snap with a dive-bomber, it just takes a little practice. Dive bombing with a fighter can be a mess, its really hard to estimate the right time to pull out and gauge where your eggs will hit without dive flaps to stabilize the process.

Bikewer
02-12-2005, 12:45 PM
A useful training method is to set up QM with unlimited ammo and no AAA, and pick some ground targets.

By quickly shifting to an outside view after you drop, you can see where your bombs fall.
As the guys say, you don't want to get blasted by your own ordnance, so maintain some altitude.

EnGaurde
02-12-2005, 10:55 PM
prolly a rooooly good idea is to set bomb delay to 10 seconds.

memorise on a target where you want to hit, release, then youll have the time to look back and see where the boom goes off.

rinse, and repeat if necessary.

i suggest the middle of an airfield for reference ease.

VF-29_Sandman
02-13-2005, 04:00 AM
the jug is 1 of the easier 'jabo's' to learn. start approach at least 1500 meters. 2000 will give u a bit more dive time. for a 'target', line up on a row of hangers, and pull into the target when at ur right/left wingtip. while ur still flying level, wait till the 1st hanger is about to go under the nose.
now start to go into a 45 degree dive. right when the 1st hanger goes under, pickle all 3 bombs. with any luck, u should be able to take out about 6 hangers in that drop. if ur too fast or too slow, if ur timing is off just a hair, ur bombs will miss where u want em to land.

VF-29_Sandman
02-13-2005, 04:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
prolly a rooooly good idea is to set bomb delay to 10 seconds.

i suggest the middle of an airfield for reference ease. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

u dont need a bomb delay unless: ur bombing at tree-top level, or skip bombing ships. doing a drop at low level, i keep my speed high, and have at least a 1.5 to 2 sec delay.

dive bombing needs to be started no less than 1500 meters. to get into a 85 degree dive, i'd start it no less than 3000 meters.

jarink
02-13-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm a noob, too and I'll second what Bikewer said. Practice in QB with unlimited ammo.

Skip bombing ships is a realtive snap once you get the hang of it. The hardest parts there is to make sure you clear the ship's masts and don't drop too early, 'cause the bomb(s) will only skip so far.

Dive bombing with using a really steep angle of attack is more accurate, but requires starting at a really good height and allowing adequate altitude for the pullout. Adjusting your elevator trim negative (to induce climb) will help with that, too.

Glide bombing is easier to control, but less accurate. Given the deadly nature of light AAA, it's hard to survive a bomb run, too.

I've been able to skip bomb on land under certain conditions! (Really low and really fast, dropping on a paved or hard surface like an unpaved runway/taxiway)

EnGaurde
02-14-2005, 06:43 AM
with flak the way it is, the further away i am from the bomb when it goes bang, the better.

thus, bomb delay makes me smile.

and yes, i do fly in between the grass blades to avoid the dead eye tojos.

HotelBushranger
02-14-2005, 07:10 AM
What's glide bombing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and yes, i do fly in between the grass blades to avoid the dead eye tojos. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Hendley
02-14-2005, 07:43 AM
There are probably lots of different ways to figure it out, but for me learning high dive bombing first (in preferably the Stuka, but the Val or SBD if you only have PF) worked for me.

Once you have that down reasonably consistently, you can just work on making the dive angle shallower and shallower until you can hit things going in at 20 degrees or less.

Going as low as possible also helps a lot, obviously, though keep enough height for at least a shallow dive toward the target.

Oh, and don't try to do it how the AI does. You'll see them in A20s and Me110s merrily level bombing individual tanks at 1000m+...