PDA

View Full Version : The SOUND! ... my thought

Rickustyit
01-31-2006, 07:17 AM
It's a magnificent news reading that finally the Macchi C.200 and C.202/205 will be flyable "soon"! The Mosquito too was a my long-time dream.

But, again and sadly, even this time I read that there aren't ANY Sound modifications in the game...
Those sounds are AWFUL! Please change them!! I mean... Building a 3d model from scratch, building great interiors from scratch must really be tough I guess and I deeply respect your work (and for free) for all of us simmers.
I am sure it takes a lot of time to do those great 3d models of planes/ships/tanks/artillery etc or those nice maps.

But how much could it take you to just change a single file to modify those HORRIBLE .50 cal and 12,7mm cal sounds????

Please please change them! I am sure it won't take longer than perhaps ONE hour but will give us players a much better overall immersion feeling in this great simulator.
You totally forgot the "sound compartment" of this simulator, and in every single patch I've always waited an improvement that never came.
Today I finally signed up to this forum to express my feelings about this matter.

Those 12,7 sounds are... I don't know what.. they sounds like... hearing a pneumatic hammer from 1 kilometer of distance...
And the russian 7,62 machine gun sounds is something out of this world. What the heck is it? Sounds like a full gaggle of pigeon is flying around my head in despair.

There are samples of .50 and 12,7 - 13mm guns around on the 'net and I personally have some stored in my hard-drive.

PLESE change at least those gun sounds, for the sake of reality and for the sake of immersion. It's the only thing that you "almost" never changed.
I have always considered sounds as one of the main feature of a well designed game.
All the rest is perfect, it's the best sim out there.

Pleas Oleg and team , I am sure it won't take that long to change just 2 gun sounds in the game. CHANGE those horrible sounds or let at least the sound to be modded by us users (like the in-game voices)...

I have been really sad to read the same new patch readme and not finding again a single mention to a modified sound in the game.
Do you flyers feel the same as me?

Rick

GH_Klingstroem
01-31-2006, 08:16 AM
And Im sure you know what the 12.7mm sounds like when fired from the inside of an AC with a 2000hp at 2500rpm in the nose... I can promise you it wont sound like what you want it to sound like! (would be a cool effect though)
However I do agree about the engine sound... It should be changed!

lbhskier37
01-31-2006, 09:25 AM
The thing about IL2 is that the sound quality greatly depends on your hardware setup. If you run onboard sound with cheapie speakers it sounds like garbage, but if you run a good soundcard (audigy or better) and good speakers ($150+ set of speakers) it sounds great.

widgeon
01-31-2006, 09:56 AM
True, on both points.

Widgeon

Rickustyit
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
IMO no, not at all.

GH_Klingstroem: I'm sure you can teach us exactly that those German 7,92mm MG actually sounded even louder in real life then?! What I was refering to was the fact that 2 12,7mm guns on the cowl of (for example) an italian fighter or on a Brewster one are LESS loud and less "powerful" than 2 7,92mm guns.
They are on the same spot.
There are two of them.
But somehow the 12,7mm guns sound "empty" while the 7,92mm on the Bf109 sound like REAL machine guns.
I'm not a fighter pilot, I have not piloted a WW2 fighter, I am a modest private pilot (and still a student at that!) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif but I really think there is something wrong here.

You're sitting in an airplane with a 2000hp engine at 2,500rpm (as you said), can't hear at all your 12,7 magine guns firing just some centimeters in front of you (and some planes didn't even have a firewall, look at the A6M) but somehow you can hear the machineguns' sounds of the other planes nearby. You can even hear the sound of enemy gunners firing at you from a certain distance.
Please explain that to me...

And then there is that russian 7,62mm sound I can't really understand.

lbhskier37: being a "sound effects fan" I have an high quality (not the best though) set and soundcard. Configuration of the game is set to the maximum possible.

Guys, it seems to me that on these forums more often than not, every person that tries to point out some incorrect things about this game is always accused of "speaking bad of the mighty , great, wonderful Il-2/Pacific Fighters and of Oleg and his team".
I think that this sim is the BEST out there, but we can't always say that everything is perfect just as it is, just because it is so in this game... It CAN have its flaws, like everything human-made http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I don't know if you got my point.

Am I really the only fool to think that the machine guns and engine sounds are so awful?

Cheers,
Rick

GT182
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
by Rickustyit
Am I really the only fool to think that the machine guns and engine sounds are so awful?

No you're not a fool. But... it's just something we have to live with. It's Olegs call, not ours. Be patient, I hear that BOB2 will be something new and completely different. Everything improved.

As for speakers as lbhskier37 says.... you need a good sound card and speakers. I just bought a Logitech 5.1 suround sound system and I now hear things I never did before. It is a big improvement.

Stafroty
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
GH_Klingstroem has a point about engine noise covering gun noise, i believe that, but, if light machineguns which are nose mounted has louder sound than 12,7m also in nosemounts, then theres somekind of problem. its a good notice for sure, and if the .50cal sound would be leveled up and made more sharp, it would make .50cal whiners much happy, without touching their gun efficiency at all. cos when something makes loud sound it GOTTA be effective http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

but is it important so much with all these other bugs or problems what we have with this sim, to fix it first?

its good point for bob, as are many other point to taken consideration.

PriK
01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I have a SB-XFI card that is well beyond Audigy and good Boston Acoustic speakers.

The sound still sucks unfortunately, especially compared to BoB:WoV in most samples.

GH_Klingstroem
02-01-2006, 03:50 AM
I have no clue what so ever what it should sound like! What I do know is that they should not sound like the do when heard from the outside. And btw I agree about that the sounds in the sim could be a bit better but I guess we just have to live with that for now...
Oh and im sorry I it looked like I was accusing you ofr speaking bad about the sim! Not my intention! I just dont think that sound are too off afterall...

KOM.Nausicaa
02-01-2006, 04:26 AM
I think the sounds are all an attempt to make you hear what a guy in a cockpit would hear, regardless if the camera is inside or outside the cockpit at that moment. They do not pretent to individualize all the different planes and engines or guns, it's more of a global description of what a sound environment is when sitting in a cockpit with headset on, and zipping at 320 Mph. Oleg said in the past that some engines could be very well "described" better (think recorded) but others not, as they are just not around anymore.
So instead of giving an advantage to some planes in the sound design department and leaving others out, he prefers a general sound description that fits it "all".
The disadvantage is that individual "sexyness" of planes is lost, but in overall the sound design is rather good. And it's--thank god-- not the hollywoodish and childish version like over in the CFS Modder world, where they think its realistic to hear Flak burst from 5km distance loud like the guns of Navarone.
Yes, Oleg lacks the richness of individual sounds, but he gives a fairly good description of what you hear in a cockpit, and "how" you hear it.
But for outside views, I can understand the critic. Nothing beats roaring engines on start up. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Here to tease you a bit, Me 109 with real DB601 engine:

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=5194

dravisar
02-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Thank GOD someone brought this up! The DB605 sounds SUCK in this game...completely missing supercharger whine, and that bubbling roar!!! The P51 kinda somewhat has its roar, but man...the BF sounds....WAY wrong.

The BF109 has the sexiest, most distinctive sound, of any plane ive ever heard. A local guy around here has a P51D he flies around from time to time, and unless he's at full throttle or flying low, it takes awhile to distingiush it.

The sounds arent the best, and need work. The Sim is great...but the sounds are like comparing an AK47 report to an M4...and not caring.

Ick!

Rickustyit
02-01-2006, 02:43 PM
GH_Klingstroem : sorry if I sounded (? no pun intended! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif ) aggressive! I didn't want to.

Nausicaa, thank you for that link! Amazing video , and amazing plane I should say http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Bf.109

I honestly don't think that they will change the total sound compartment in Pacific Fighters in the future... as they're already working full-time for the next Battle-of-Britain sim... I just hope they could fix some weird oddities we still have in the game.
I was rather "upset" (quite strong word perhaps) that in so many patches Oleg & Co. never noticed this, and I haven't seen many posts complaining about engines and weapons' sounds.

Who knows, maybe some of the "bosses" are reading this thread?

Cheers,
Rick

Feathered_IV
02-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Who knows, maybe some of the "bosses" are reading this thread?

Hope so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Its strange that CFS2 actually sounds better in most respects. Without the need to throw thousands of dollars of high-end equipment at it.

Max.Power
02-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
And Im sure you know what the 12.7mm sounds like when fired from the inside of an AC with a 2000hp at 2500rpm in the nose... I can promise you it wont sound like what you want it to sound like! (would be a cool effect though)
However I do agree about the engine sound... It should be changed!

Ah, but I do know what a 2000 hp aircraft sounds like... and they sound nothing like the synthesizer that produces the saw-tooth musical notes that are claimed to be engine sounds.

Listen to the k-4 'family' of engine sounds. You can actually hear this synthesizer sound scaling up and down. It's hillarious.

SeaFireLIV
02-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Well, after hearing everyone say how wonderful BOBwov sounds were, but neglecting to say that they were one-off sound samples that simply didn`t scale (especially in 109 flybys), you have to decide... Take what you`ve got and fiddle with the sound settings until you get something approaching good or get BOBwov - sound is not everything. Increase bass in windows and up the treble a bit.

Remember FB is about 3 years old (with PFabout 2). p.s Oleg is always watching, so who knows he may make further changes to the sound...

PriK
02-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Well, after hearing everyone say how wonderful BOBwov sounds were, but neglecting to say that they were one-off sound samples that simply didn`t scale (especially in 109 flybys), you have to decide... Take what you`ve got and fiddle with the sound settings until you get something approaching good or get BOBwov - sound is not everything. Increase bass in windows and up the treble a bit.

Remember FB is about 3 years old (with PFabout 2). p.s Oleg is always watching, so who knows he may make further changes to the sound...

You're right and sorry to neglect that important aspect. The sound is a trade-off between better samples and a scaleable, more sim-like implementation.

I can accept that for realism sake but the fact of the matter is that there are problems with this approach. Sometimes I can here AAA shooting from beyond visual distance, or planes approaching behind me from a couple km that I would never have otherwise known were there.

MOH_Hirth
02-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes the sound is the weak point in this excellent simulator, CFS2 have a better sound, FB 1.0 was better(Yes, try and you will see).
And isnt a hardware limitation.