PDA

View Full Version : High Altitude 10000m plus

Waldo.Pepper
05-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I wonder if after the patch this will be modelled properly. Would be nice. Somthing to look for.

Tooz_69GIAP
05-24-2005, 01:42 PM
hmm, yeah, that would be cool, but I doubt it

Krakkers
06-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Funny this reminds me of when I first started flying online, I assumed that a lot of the action would be high altitude, so I got to 7500 and had a look around and couldn't see anybody, made a few contrails while I was up there, realised that the action was below 2500 and had a slow decent into the combat and cam e blasting through it like a bat out of hell!

Hmm, Must do that again....

stansdds
06-03-2005, 04:24 AM
The wise pilot will keep his energy high and remain in a superior position for the fight.

bolillo_loco
06-04-2005, 10:42 AM
you going to get lonely up there and catch a cold.

NonWonderDog
06-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I highly doubt it will be changed. Air density is approximated to save processor time; they probably only use a second order approximation or so. Anything more complex would eat up a lot of processor time.

You can see a graph of density against altitude here: http://www.npl.co.uk/mass/faqs/altitudedensity.html
It doesn't really fit any simple curves.

LEXX_Luthor
06-04-2005, 05:32 PM
A simple table of air density and altitude would work fine.

If we want high altitude combat, we have to have a reason because its hard to get there (and stay there) and even harder to do anything up there except dive. Real Life WW2 pilots did not like going up high--unless they had to.

A good way to get the 1944 dogfight Brownie Point community upstairs is late WAR Flyable bombers, but bomber pilots would need a reason to bomb. Forcing the dogfight Brownie Point community to wait a possibly shortened time for re~arm and re~fuel on Online airfield instead of arcade Instant Refly would be great incentive for a surge in the population growth of Online bomber pilots. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

But...we would need Flyable bombers that historically match up with the Flyable 1944 "X-box" dogfighter planes.

Tater-SW-
06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Lightening up the sky up hight would be a nice start. You'd think whoever picked the color had never been in an airliner.

tater

WOLFMondo
06-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
I wonder if after the patch this will be modelled properly. Would be nice. Somthing to look for.

That would be great as currently some planes that should go to or above 10,000m+ have a few problems getting there. If the Spitfire XIV is in there and altitude above 10000m is modelled correcly those Ta152's better watch out!

Col.Baron
06-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Like Stan stated, energy is everything in props. Yes it is a game but as a JUG pilot our squad dominates at alt with teamwork. The lower planes never have a chance to gain energy ......My two cents anyway.......U's who do can keep flying low.....;o).
It is boring at times but I like to land with me and my wingmate intact.....PEACE!!!!!

LEXX_Luthor
06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Fuel mix is modded above 10km, so I think at least some of this stuff about high alt not being modded is false. Although, its sad that AI bombers can't maintain altitude above ~8km, even at Empty load and 25% fuel.

I was (choke) wrong (again). Thinking again, and late WAR western front used low altitude fighter bombers mostly on both sides, so we have a fantastic simulation of this here, and its low altitude so the screenshots can include the horizon and be socially acceptable.

p1ngu666
06-04-2005, 10:07 PM
if u want high alt fighting, then use high alt bases. on one of teh onwhine maps theres airfeilds at 2kmish. u might be able to raise that to 3.3-5km if u put a test runway or carrier on top of the mountain http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

that might crash the game tho...

VF-3Thunderboy
06-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Most of the famous stuff started at high altitude in the Pacific. Wildcats at Guadalcanal flew at 24,000 ft. The Black Sheep flew at an average 24,000 when approaching Japanese airfields. You cant fly dogfighting missions against a ton of aircraft without alot of altitude anyway.Missions should start at 15,000 minimum.

If you want high altitude fights, you need to get a group together to do that, and have wingmen teams or something....

New computer in a month or so, well see.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif