PDA

View Full Version : Mouse RMB hack?

SwansofNever
11-21-2003, 02:22 AM
I got carpal tunnel from holding down my right mouse button the whole time I played Uru (I almost always played in 1st person). I would hate to think what would happen to me if I was forced to hold it down through the 'endless ages' of Live. It would probably shrivel down to some sort of gnarled monkey paw or something.

So I am wondering: does anyone know of an unofficial hack that makes it so you can automatically look around without holding down the right mouse button? Or maybe make it so it toggles when you click it instead of having to hold it down? Or is there a general trick or program for Windows that allows you to trick programs into thinking a button is being activated when it is not? Please help me! If Cyan so staunchly sticks by their horrible controls mayhaps some kindly soul can help me out!

Thanks!

SwansofNever
11-21-2003, 02:22 AM
I got carpal tunnel from holding down my right mouse button the whole time I played Uru (I almost always played in 1st person). I would hate to think what would happen to me if I was forced to hold it down through the 'endless ages' of Live. It would probably shrivel down to some sort of gnarled monkey paw or something.

So I am wondering: does anyone know of an unofficial hack that makes it so you can automatically look around without holding down the right mouse button? Or maybe make it so it toggles when you click it instead of having to hold it down? Or is there a general trick or program for Windows that allows you to trick programs into thinking a button is being activated when it is not? Please help me! If Cyan so staunchly sticks by their horrible controls mayhaps some kindly soul can help me out!

Thanks!

IAmTheSteve
11-21-2003, 01:22 PM
You could try using the arrow keys.

More difficult to see what you want, but it may help on your fingers.

Dillenger69
11-21-2003, 02:05 PM
You could always crack your mouse open and install a toggle switch.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

Cr-om
11-21-2003, 03:34 PM
I totally agree, the controls for URU aren't exactly the best control method, seeing as 99% of first person gamers are used to a standard 'forward backward strafe and mouse look' affair, and always the option to map favourite keys. That is the only thing I find lacking in the game, hopefully cyan will come up with a future patch to enable this...

Dillenger69
11-21-2003, 03:48 PM
I already have the wasd mapped, as well as qe for strafe. It seems to work just fine

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

Cr-om
11-21-2003, 03:52 PM
My strafe keys are always caps lock and alt, but in this game you cant map them.

Have you got mouse look to work without having to hold down mouse 2?

D aniel
11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Duct tape does wonders when programmers arent around LOL.

For these risque, use scotch tape. (ahem scotch and then some tape??)

i have been known to tape my rmb down on occasion. the trick: place the stciky side to the top of the button and then press down as your thumb smooths the tape to the side of the mouse or some facsimilie there of.

---------------
You must let MYST offer up the answers you seek, if only you have eyes to see, ears to hear...and wits to rememeber.
(Myst Journal Pg 1 circa 1993)

SwansofNever
11-22-2003, 05:26 PM
tape is a good idea but does not work because of the fact that you need to let go of the mouse button on many occasions to actually DO things in the game. it's not like Exile where if you just center the screen on an object you can click it, you have to get out of look around mode and then move the cursor to it.

i think only a patch will fix this.