PDA

View Full Version : dive bombing

gwgardner2
07-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I got hooked on dive bombing doing the Straight From the Farm campaign. However, I'm lousy at it. Sure wish there were a save flight option, to save just before diving, so that practice was easier. It's getting frustrating, I'm so bad. Two problems:

1) the bomb always drops short - it seems to not retain any of the momentum of the aircraft upon release;

2) It's impossible to really follow the bomb abd see how far off the mark it is.

Is there a way to do that?

VR_Swampy
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Bombs don't travel in a straight line like a bullet, they follow a steepening curve until traveling straight down. The steeper your dive, the more likely you are to hit.

Try working with the Stuka Ju-87D-5 for a while. It has an icon that appears on the gunsight during a dive that shows where the bombs should hit. Using it, you can learn to judge where the bombs will hit in other divebombers.

http://www.vultures-row.com/public_sigs/vrsig1.gif

Zeus-cat
07-30-2007, 05:24 AM
You can edit missions by deleting all the waypoints up to the one where you drop the bombs. That way, when the mission starts you will be near the bomb release point. I suggest you give yourself a few kilometers of level flight to help you figure out where you need to start your dive. There are lots of dive-bombing missions in my Straight Down campaign.

gwgardner2
07-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Interesting. I'll try editting one then. Not sure if I have a Stuka, with only Pacific Fighters, but I'll check it out.

VR_Swampy
07-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Since Zeus-Cat has authorized editing his missions...

You can edit the planes so you are flying the Stuka Ju-87D-5.

http://www.vultures-row.com/public_sigs/vrsig1.gif

Crash_Moses
07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
The Stuka's great but the SBD won the war. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I made a practice mission so I could practice dive bombing over and over (and over and over). I prefer the SBD-3 because of the bombsight. Here's my advice.

1. Get on target early and hold it. Any last minute rudder or attitude changes are going to throw your aim way off. I used to advocate not using rudder at all but it's just too difficult to stay on target without it. Use it early and hold it steady.

2. Unless you're diving straight down at 90 degrees you'll have to lead the target a bit, especially if the ship is moving. Most dives were done at around 70 degress. If approaching from the rear aim for the bow to hit in the middle (for smaller ships aim slightly ahead of the bow). If approching from the side, aim a little to the opposite side. If from the left try and keep the ship a little to the left of center. If approaching from the rear AND the left side aim towards the bow AND keep the ship a little to the left of the reticle, etc.

3. Release as low as possible. If you can release at 1000 ft. you're doing good. Around 1,800 ft. was the norm although every pilot had their preferences. Dive bombing is more art than science. When you dive make sure you throttle back all the way. If you dive with the throttle high or increase power before you pull out of the dive yer gonna end up in the drink.

S!

VR_Swampy
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
The Stuka's great but the SBD won the war... Unless you're diving straight down at 90 degrees you'll have to lead the target a bit, especially if the ship is moving

His entire reason for asking for help was that he couldn't figure out the lead (or didn't realize he needed lead). The Stuka Ju-87D-5 shows you exactly where the bomb will hit (and, therefore, how much lead to use). It also has a warning horn telling you when to release.

Work with it for awhile, then switch back to the divebomber of preference.

Giantiguana20
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Stukas also auto-level themselves after a dive. If you're just learning that's deffinately the plane to use. SBD's are so slow I usually get my wings chopped off in the dive by enemy fire. Still love em though.

gwgardner2
07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I did edit the first of the Straight Down missions, allowing for repeated attempts. Learned a lot from that.

I've been trying for an approximate 75% angle of dive, since I read another thread here debating that.

I'll try to edit for using the Stuka next.

Crash_Moses
07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by VR_Swampy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Stuka's great but the SBD won the war... Unless you're diving straight down at 90 degrees you'll have to lead the target a bit, especially if the ship is moving

His entire reason for asking for help was that he couldn't figure out the lead (or didn't realize he needed lead). The Stuka Ju-87D-5 shows you exactly where the bomb will hit (and, therefore, how much lead to use). It also has a warning horn telling you when to release.

Work with it for awhile, then switch back to the divebomber of preference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At ease, lad. Tongue in cheek (thus the smiley face). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately Pacific Fighters doesn't come with the Stuka so he'll have to make do with the SBD or the Val (love the Val...)

Good advice nonetheless... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif