PDA

View Full Version : What do you get with the Gold Edition ?

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Hello all,

If all goes to plan, this time next month I will have a system capable of running Il2.

I have been looking around websites for purchasing the game and have found the original for 7.50 or the Gold Edition for 13.50 - trouble is I can't find any info on the Gold edition - what do you get ?

If it's simply the original patched version I may as well buy the 7.50 one and patch it manually.

And yes I know FB is better but I have decided to start with the original and get FB when I have finished with the first one.

Regards,

Ace2B

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Hello all,

If all goes to plan, this time next month I will have a system capable of running Il2.

I have been looking around websites for purchasing the game and have found the original for 7.50 or the Gold Edition for 13.50 - trouble is I can't find any info on the Gold edition - what do you get ?

If it's simply the original patched version I may as well buy the 7.50 one and patch it manually.

And yes I know FB is better but I have decided to start with the original and get FB when I have finished with the first one.

Regards,

Ace2B

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 05:51 PM
I suspect you found an old web description that is calling "Forgotten Battles" a gold edition of IL-2. Remember that FB changed from an add-on to stand-alone product nearly at the last minute before its release and that confused a lot of merchants who were taking pre-orders and creating account bins for FB. The result was some pretty strange reclassifications as FB was shipped.

Essentially FB is a gold edition of IL-2, as it is sort of the basic game and add-on sold together (but a single installation in this case). So maybe that's simply how the merchant understood FB to be.

I could be wrong; I understand there was a deluxe version of FB sold in Russia that included a poster, T-shirt, and companion printed manual with elaborate illustrations. I also understand that it was a very pricey package and unaffordable for the average Joe Lunchpail -- a month's pay versus a week's pay for the regular version or something like that (according to somebody in the 'know' about the Russian economy). I don't think a similar deal was offered anywhere else, and the low price your site is asking for the Gold version makes me doubt that they are offering an imported Russian deluxe 'gift' version.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 05:59 PM
If your talking about IL2. I believe it's the patched version. Important to dial-up users. The patches are pretty big.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/anderson3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Fb and IL2 are quite redundant actually. So far I'd buy Il2, but after the patch for FB is out my opinion will most likely change. But still they'll be quite redundant.

Nic

http://nicolas10.freeservers.com/images/et.jpg

OK I -->[]

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Do you think they will ever ship a product with both games in it. The Clancy series, Medal of hOnor, etc...You could just wait for that if they did.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Re: packaging the two titles together

Uhhhh ... what would be the point of that?

Forgotten Battles is IL-2 with more planes and maps, more nationalities represented, better graphics and models, a dynamic campaign, and altered FMs. But for all intents and purposes FB is the addon wrapped around the original IL-2. I don't think the average gamer would be interested in buying them both together.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
JT Skycat -

That's a very good point about it possible being the old name for FB - I have been following the evolution of Il2 in magazines such as PCZone and had forgotton that it was originally an add-on.

I'll email SplashDVD and ask them if that is the case.

Thanks all,

Ace2B

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 11:56 PM
you get a piece of olegs mustache included in the box

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter