PDA

View Full Version : Why do most of the planes sound the same.

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I had just downloaded the 'Beta' patch and the mustang does not sound like a mustang at all. Is this going to be fixed.

I was just really disppointed when firing her up to hear the LA 5FN engine sounds.

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I had just downloaded the 'Beta' patch and the mustang does not sound like a mustang at all. Is this going to be fixed.

I was just really disppointed when firing her up to hear the LA 5FN engine sounds.

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Most of the sound you here eminating from a propeller driven aircraft is from propeller itself, cutting the air.
At idle the engine becomes quite pronounced.It is then that you here the engine noise ,or more correctly the sound from the exhaust manifold.
The P-51d utilizes a merlin engine.The Hawker Hurricane also uses the Merlin,but of an earlier make.
The sounds in the game are not very distinct.Even though there are two differt sound files to try.The new patch will use the best all-around sound.

Clear skies,

BuzzardHead

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Oleg described the sound system as using a multilayering approach that lets them change the pitch, attack, and all those sorts of things that are important in knowing where a plane is coming from, or where it is, in particular FB's off in the distance low rumble is quite well done.

These things would not be achieved and the sound wouldn't be nearly as good as if it were using direct recorded samples. The disadvantage is that no plane sounds perfectly like what its "supposed to". But the developers felt that to be a small tradeoff for one of the most advanced sound systems in a game today.

Consider all the effects that are done just with engine noise and you'll quickly understand why it was done.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Fw 190 sounds like a Bf 109 in the game, (I only really fly the 109 so I might be wrong) The FW has a radial BMW engine and the Bf 109 has an inline Daimler Benz engine, so why is it they sound the same? Ok so they might not sound like the real thing, but do they have to sound the same?

As for advanced sound system, I don't agree, I can hear planes shooting that don't exist whilst taxing to the runway in Multiplayer games, I have in a panic checked my six only to realise it's a ghost plane that is either miles away or just a bug caused by a plane that crashed a long time ago.

I have jumped out of my seat from the noise of a shell that was 100 kilometres away. When I'm about to take off everybody else's engine on the taxiway is about 5 times louder than mine. etc etc.

There are tons of games with better sound, the fact is you shouldn't be able to hear the other planes at all in real life so why bother modeling it?

Yes hearing the guy sneaking up on me in multiplayer has saved my skin a million times, but it also saves the guy I'm attacking too, I would prefer the element of surprise it would also encourage better team work.

<center>http://www.xnomad.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg
</center>

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Oleg-Fans. No need for excuses here. The sound engine in FB is worse, more worse than in the old IL-2 and more worse than in every other modern PC-Game!

Message Edited on 12/05/0302:57PM by VVS-Manuc

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 03:04 PM
most real planes sound lovely /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
oh wait, ive been bought up on a diet of merlins
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Good explenation VW-IceFire...

The sound from players plane inside cockpit could be made even nicer, with recorded sounds or whatever.

Since the effects of distance, doppler effects etc don´t
apply on that sound...

Only effect is when you turn your head...
...And when you black out?

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 02:35 AM
tbh if spitfire dont sound vagly like a spitfire, us brits will mob oleg & co /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
This boggles my mind. People are actually saying that the sound model is more complex, therefore better, although it doesn't sound anything like the real plane?

Please, FB has many excellent qualities to it, but the sound is not there at the top of the list. I am not sure why it was designed the way it was - in apparently a combination of synthesized tones that rely not only on engine , but also propeller dynamics, etc.. IT all sounds very good on paper , but in execution the MGs sound waaay too muffled and the engines of very different airplanes sound almost identical. I can detect some very subtle tone differences when fooling around with my CEM controls, but they are veeerrry subtle, and these fine points get lost when I hear a crackle or a booooming AAA that is many km away.

The sound in FB may be waaay ahead of it's time, an overengineered solution, or both, I'm not sure which.

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I don't know anything about the fancy sound engine they've developed for FB, but i know this: it's nowhere close to the good old Jane's World War II Fighters. Man, now those planes sounded like they should sound. Spit like a Spit, 51 like a 51 and you could even hear the 109's turbine whine... Ahhhh /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Golf GTI Edition 2.0 16v

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 01:27 PM
I would imagine that the single most obvious
quality of the sound of sitting in a WW2 fighter
is probably going to be that it is loud.