PDA

View Full Version : Idea on Assigned Aircraft in BOB

3.JG51_BigBear
03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading lately, mostly trying to avoid work I should be doing, and I've been seeing a lot of references to personal aircraft, quality of aircraft over time, air frame hours, etc. I've been reading stories where pilots are sure they didn't get a kill because they weren't used to the plane they were flying and officers getting hopping made because some enlisted man borrowed his plane and got it shot full of holes.

My idea would be to have an aircraft assigned to the player based on rank. If its an officer let's say, he gets the pick of the litter, spanking, brand new model straight from the factory and his aircraft is always fixed first. If you're playing as an enlisted pilot, you get an airplane assigned to you but its probably old, shot up, has belonged to like four other pilots and was made from scavanged aircraft parts to begin with (Brits did this a lot). Anytime a higher ranking pilot needs a planes he steals yours and you end up with something even crappier.

Also if you really beat on the engine and the airframe, maybe the plane will start to deteriorate in performance as the ground crew runs out of fixes for the thing. Over time you end up with an unflyable wreck. If you're an officer maybe you just requisition a new one or steal an enlisted pilot's plane but if your an enlisted man you just deal with it.

I guess this would all depend on how advanced the damage models are going to be in BOB and whether damage can be held over duringa campaign. It might add a little something.

Hunde_3.JG51
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey BigBear!

A long time ago Oleg mentioned something to the effect that if your plane is shot up in one mission, then it may be repaired but a wing spar may be still damaged/weakened for example. The next mission you may put too much stress on that part of the airframe which may result in structural failure. I wish I had the link to this but I remember it pretty well (I think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). I like your idea, and it gives more incentive to attain rank, but more importantly it adds to realism and immersion. I would really like to see engines deteriorate somewhat over time as they are stressed, repaired, etc. Sounds like there is some hope and I really would like to see what was mentioned above be the case when BoB is released.

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
That's my recollection as well- airframe fatigue could be a factor

On the idea of senior officers getting planes fixed first, that's a double edged sword. It may sound reasonable, but it would seem to me that it would rather be on terms of complexity and/or part availability (easily determined in the 'Historic' campaign, God Knows about the user-defined one) on one had, difficulty of repair (instead of a Hurri that needed an engine change totalling 25 hours for three mechanics, those three mechanics would rather be used to repair 6 aircraft that each needed 10 hours of work

In another light, many 'old hands' retained their old aircraft for a long time...but that is a two way street, too: Was it because they had confidence in the old planes because of a new plane's rep? Or did they get the new one because they had 'pranged their kite' once too often for comforts' sake?

Interesting ideas..

3.JG51_BigBear
03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Hey Hunde good to see you back.

That is cool about airframe stress being worked into the game and structural failures. Should be interesting to watch your wing unexpectadly fall off. Definitely something that needs good sound effects.

Chuck after reading all the variables you came up with I came up with sort of a modified system. There could be a point system kind of like Close Combat 3 where you would be awarded points given combat performance and you would have to spend these points on repairing broken equipment and requisitioning new tanks and better infrantry units.

Maybe depending on how man pilots you lose versus how well you achieved your objective you get a certain number of points. Given that number of points and resources available you need to figure out how to keep as many birds in the air and still get the latest aircraft. It would also be cool to use points to get combat veterans transferred into the squadron.

This system may not work on the British side, I don't know how much combat prowess went towards getting equipment and pilots, but in the Luftwaffe, although no unit was really designated elite, there definitely seemed to be those units that got reequiped first and had the pick of the new pilots, JG26 being one of the most obvious examples.

I just think some more realistic elements like this would improve campaigns a little bit and make offline gaming more interesting.

ElAurens
03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
Hey Hunde good to see you back.

That is cool about airframe stress being worked into the game and structural failures. Should be interesting to watch your wing unexpectadly fall off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be very careful what you wish for. Very careful....

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
I think it'll be cool as long as the failures aren't random. If the failure is based off something I did in an earlier mission I think that would add an extra incentive to fly realistically.