PDA

View Full Version : What are the best military movies??

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 08:29 AM
What are the best military movies to watch when you are playing your favorite military sim??

Submarine:
I think it's a no-brainer that 'Das Boot' is the best Sub movie. But there are other good ones.
Run Silent Run Deep
In Enemy Hands (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316824/) (anybody ever seen this 2004 sub movie?)

Bombers:
Memphis Belle
Strategic Air Command?

Fighters:
Top Gun

Tanks:
??

What are you favorites??

zaza-mushi
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Mine best is
"The bridge at Remagen" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Digger1957
03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
These movies are the ones that I watch a lot while playing SHIII:

Besides of course the original uncut version Das Boot,
The Enemy Below
Midway
Tora Tora Tora
Sink the Bismarck

Non War:
Crimson Tide
The Final Countdown
The Hunt For Red October
K19

Documentary:
Der U-Boot Krieg

axeman3d
03-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Tora Tora Tora
You have to watch this, if just for the great action sequences at the airfield where you see footage so real you think it must be colour film from the war. Guys are inches from real explosions and flying propellor blades, and it turns out it's because the stunts went very, very wrong but looked so good they kept it in.

Where Eagles Dare
The absolute best 'Guys on a Mission' movie ever made, and the Clint Eastwood film with the biggest body count. "Broadsword calling Danny-bhoy"

The Longest Day
The longest film, where Hollywood invades the coast of German occupied Normandy. Stars absolutely everyone, and looks fabulous in black and white.

Das Boot
Duh! Most realistic war film around. Get the directors cut and in German/subtitles for best effect. I have a home cinema projector and watching this on a 7-foot screen in the dark of your own home with 5.1 surround audio is just awesome.

brklyndodgers
03-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Patton is up there.

Red Dawn - Nuclear Age Movie, go Wolverines!!!!

quillan
03-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Saving Private Ryan - Think what you will about the rest of the movie, but the first half hour showing the D-Day landings is phenomenal.

The Hill - Old movie (1965) starring Sean Connery. It's a British military penal camp in Libya during the war. Quite a powerful film.

Kelly's Heroes - Everyone should see this. It's a comedy war movie, but still good.

The Wild Geese - It's about mercenaries in Africa. The music is VERY 70s, but if you can overlook that, it's quite intertaining.

King Rat - Based on the novel by James Clavell, made into a movie back in the 60s. Japanese POW camp in Singapore. Read the novel, too. It's even better.

Celeon999
03-30-2005, 09:41 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">The thin Red Line</span>.

Many didnt liked it but i cant understand why.
Theres much to learn in this one.

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Ahh.. King Rat. The book and movie were both good.

sp3irs
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
The Longest Day - Definitely a classic and best film about D-Day. Could have been filmed in colour but the director made the right choice to do it in black and white. Alot on the scenes were filmed of the actual places on the fighting

Black Hawk Down -gets my vote for best modern combat film.

All quiet on the Western Front-Another Classic

matkal80
03-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Action in North Atlantic.

Great convoy movie.

KG26_Thief
Ice Cold in Alex you philistines ... mind you it's not really a war movie

oh, and Zulu

Haele
Can anyone link me to the version of Das Boot that is subtitled and with all the extra bits and goodies (not the english dubbed version - dubbing is evil)? I've never actually seen it before http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

BaneSixEcho
03-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Band of Brothers is hands down the best war 'movie' I've ever seen.

offroadracer11
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Bombers there are 2 movies...memphis bell..and a wing and a prayer..

vodkamike
03-30-2005, 10:02 AM
When it comes to submarine movies there is not much to say except what has already been mentioned:
Das Boot
The Enemy Below

Other excellent war movies:
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan (for the battle scenes)
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket (for Lee Ermie's monologue)

TV-series:
Band of Brothers
The Winds of War
War and Remembrance

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/logo_nyy_79x76.jpg

--------------------------------
"Private Pyle, you climb obstacles like old people fxxx!"

Wolf52371
03-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Patton, Guns of Navarone (not actually real but cool), A Bridge Too Far, The Great Escape, and a bunch of the others here that i dont need to re-mention.

quillan
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Haele, I don't know where you are, so I don't know if this version will work for you, but this is the Region 1 version:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001XAOLQ/qid=1112203229/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-4224434-0907920?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It's 5 hours long, has both English and German audio tracks, as well as subtitles in English and French. There are probably other regional versions out there as well.

djackson44
03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Bridge on the River Kwai (a Classic)

Bridge on the River Kwai (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CX97/103-3739357-1083829?v=glance)

Tora Tora Tora, awesome!

Check out this link!
War Movies (http://www.geocities.com/warmoviedatabase/etop50.htm)

Also (not a movie) but if you get Discovery's Military Channel on Satellite, that's awesome for Military research.

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bane_v2:
Band of Brothers is hands down the best war 'movie' I've ever seen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. Loved it!!

My uncle was in the Battle of the Buldge. He passed away last year. This also was his favorite war movie. He never did talk much about the war. I asked him a few times and he gave short answers. I could tell he didn't want to talk about it, so I left it drop. Everytime I watch Band of Brothers I think of him and wonder what all he experienced in the war...

PsychoFritz
03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
I would have to say Saving Private Ryan for me it was the first movie that I know of to try to be as realistic as possible. Band of Brothers was great too!

Das-Boot is the best sub movie!

Stalingrad was good I thought...I've only seen it once a long time ago.

I liked Enemy at the Gates too...the sniper stuff was cool. I'm not sure the movie was really historically accurate though...they did get the names of the major players in that sniper duel right though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

augie64
03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Midway, Tora Tora Tora, Sand of Iwo Jima.

Greatest Sub movie
Down Periscope - I swear this is what sub life is like. Everyone in this movie I can tell you someone that was just like them.

Maniak82_05
03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
For me the best three war movies are:

1. APOCALYPS NOW, the best one, much more than a war movie....

2. Full metal jacket, for the dialogs/monologs.

3. Band of Brothers, for the realisme.

And a special prize for a french movie with Louis De Fun¨s and Bourvil : "La grande vadrouille".

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
_The Hill_ - Old movie (1965) starring Sean Connery. It's a British military penal camp in Libya during the war. Quite a powerful film... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone interested in military stuff should rent The Hill. It's not only one of the best war movies ever made, it's also one of the best dramas ever made, with the best actors of the 60s to boot.

My other favourites include (first non-WW2 movies):

Land and Freedom
The best movie of the Spanish Civil War ever made.

Zeppelin
Michael York foils the Kaiser in this 'Boy's Own' adventure yarn.

Riddle of the Sands
Not strictly a war movie, but here Michael York (again) foils the Kaiser's evil plot to invade dear old Blighty prior to WW1. A real 'ripping yarn'.

Waterloo
Rod Steiger as Napoleon. Great!

Crimson Tide
Denzel Washington vs. Gene Hackman, and with Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolphini thrown in for good measure, what's not to like?

Zulu
Hokey, but great cinematography.

Path to War
The best movie about how the US got into Vietnam.

The Duellists
Before Ridley Scott totally sold out and became a reactionary hack, he made this beautiful film set during the Napoleonic Wars.

Love and Death
Woody Allen's take on the Napoleonic Wars, Russian novelists, death, and Wheat.

Henry V
What Englishman can fail to be stirred by Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of one of England's greatest psychopathic tyrant warmongers?

Little Big Man
See the American Indian wars from the perspective of the victims of the American holocaust.

Now the WW2 stuff:

Tora Tora Tora
From a time when they made war movies that didn't portray the enemy as monsters or idiots.

Memphis Belle
Okay, it's overly dramatic and not all that realistic, but it's a good old-fashioned war movie nontheless.

Ice Cold in Alex
Which goes to show that Americans miss out when they ignore everything except what Hollywood puts out.

Band of Brothers
I despise this mini-series, but you have to admit it's technically brilliant. Plus, I may as well mention how much I hate Saving Private Ryan too. Overblown sentimental nonsense dressed up with great special effects. How is it that these films fool so many people?

A Midnight Clear
In my opinion, a better film than Saving Private Ryan, made on a much lower budget.

Cross of Iron
The ultimate WW2 movie. If you haven't seen this one you can't call yourself a WW2 buff.

A Bridge Too Far
Another essential WW2 movie.

...and for the real sub fans:

The Cruel Sea
De rigueur for U-Boat gamers.

Below
A ghost story set on a WW2 sub. A lot of fun if you like to mix supernatural horror and war.

And of course, Das Boot

Iuvart
03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I have to add "Fabrik der Offiziere" based on a novel of the same name by Hans Hellmut Kirst. The only book to ever make me cry in the end. It's only been filmed as a TV-Miniseries and I don't know if it's ever been translated to english, so I guess you'll have to lern german to see it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Oh, and I have to put in a plug for 'The Rocketeer'. Okay, it's not a war movie, but it has nefarious Nazis in it, and they're planning to invade the US.

Ziem
03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Some more:

The big red one (1980): based on Samuel Fuller's book and also directed by him; very cruel, honost yet underrated movie
Catch 22 (1970): Based on Joseph Heller's novel; well known
Cross of iron: Sam Peckinpah movie
The battle of midway(1942): short documentary made in 1942 by Director John Ford (director of another war movie: They were expanable)who actually got wounded while shooting it. It Got an academy award for best documentary. Also with James Roosevelt, son of FDR Roosevelt.
The young lions (1958): based on Irvin Shaw's bestseller with an already then hard to hear Marlon Brando.

On a lighter note MASH (the movie).

and as earlier mentioned:
Stalingrad
Platoon
Apocalypse now
Saving Private Ryan
The Deerhunter
Das Boot
The Longest day (If you like a gung ho movie)
Full Metal Jacket

Z.

HeibgesU999
03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
1. Biloxi Blues (my dad was at Camp Shelby in WWII, and visited Peach Streethttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )
2. Mister Roberts
3. The Caine Mutiny
4. Ashes & Diamonds
5. In Harm's Way
6. They Were Expendable
7. Cross of Iron
8. Hope & Glory (Foreman Autobio of life during Blitz in London)
9. The Longest Day
10. Tora Tora Tora
11. The Naked and the Dead (Easily the best book about WWII from American perspective)
12. The Tin Drum (A much better book but still...)
13. A Bridge Too Far
14. Run Silent Run Deep (Much more intersting than Moby **** any old day of the week!)
15. Flying Leathernecks
16. Sands of Iwo Jima
17. Memphis Belle
18. Father Goose (How can you not love this movie!)
19. Battle of the Bulge (Book'em Dano!)
20. To Hell and Back
21. Band of Brothers

HeibgesU999
03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
for Beeryus

Boris Grushenko: Jejune!? Me, jejune!? I'm the least jejune man in all the Russias! I'm known for my lack of jejunocity!

Haele
03-30-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
Haele, I don't know where you are, so I don't know if this version will work for you, but this is the Region 1 version:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001XAOLQ/qid=1112203229/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-4224434-0907920?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It's 5 hours long, has both English and German audio tracks, as well as subtitles in English and French. There are probably other regional versions out there as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, I completely forgot to mention that. I'm in the UK so Region 2 for me I'm afraid. I've found a few copies that are 3 hours 20 minutes, I take it these aren't the "full" releases?

Hertston
03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Several of those already mentioned, and a couple that havn't been (sorry if I missed them)

Glory. THE best Civil War movie, and one of my favourite movies of any description.

Hamburger Hill. The best `Nam movie by a mile. I can only assume those going on about Platoon and FMJ have never seen it.

HeibgesU999
03-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I thought Hamburger Hill was realistic but not a very good movie.

Was it based on "The Thirteenth Valley?"

This book is about some guys in the 101st in Vietnam and is just outstanding. Its by John Delvechio if I remember.

wizaro2000
03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't see many Vietnam War movies represented in previous posts so I'll throw out a few that are often overlooked but that are fantastic movies and must sees for any military history/movie fans:

Hamburger Hill
Tigerland
The Green Berets
Full Metal Jacket
The Deer Hunter

Wizaro

Hertston
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it was based on the battle for **** Ap Bia ("Hamburger Hill") in the A Shau Valley in May 1969.

The Thirteenth Valley is a (very good) novel.

Wizaro,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>fantastic movies and must sees for any military history/movie fans <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Green Berets ! You ARE joking, aren't you ?

HeibgesU999
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
I gotta say, I really enjoy The Green Berets, although now I am totally against American involvement in Vietnam.

malkuth
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Saving Private Ryan
Band Of Brothers
Longest Day
Patton
Red Dawn

aussieosprey
03-30-2005, 08:29 PM
1)The Light Horsemen(great australian movie)
2)Blue Maxx(awsome aerial battles for 1964)
3)memphis bell(the best)
4)Tora Tora Tora
5)battle of britain(best docu movie)
6)Band Of Brothers(hands down the best series ever)
7)enemy at the gates
8)saving private ryan
9)we were soldiers
10)hunt for red october

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:

This book is about some guys in the 101st in Vietnam and is just outstanding. Its by John Delvechio if I remember. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes! The 13th Valley. Best war book I ever read (well, maybe Middle Parts of Fortune was better, but it's close). I think Platoon was (very loosely) based on it.

Holly-Woods
03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Not technically a war movie but an absolute must-see for students of the battle of the Atlantic:

James Cameron's Expedition Bismarck.

JC takes his knowledge of film making, his gazillion dollar budget and the most sophisticated movie cameras in history almost 3 miles down to explore the wreck. Also, he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt (gotta cover my head when I write this....) that Bismarck was not sunk by the Royal Navy; she was scuttled by her crew.

Anyhoo, he brings along survivors from both sides of the hunt and their memories alone are worth the price of admission. Plus, there's some very cool computer generated imagery (ala Titanic) of Bismarck at sea and of the final assault and a brilliant play-by-play of her sinking. You gotta see it.

Holly

"She sits upright; proudly defiant"
Robert Ballard, July 1988

quillan
03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Haele, I popped over to amazon.co.uk and took a look. I didn't find the same exact version, but they do have Das Boot-The Miniseries, which should have all the footage, just not the extras. Unfortunately, it's English dubbed. Any chance of you getting a player that isn't region specific? I know they make them.

Holly-Woods
03-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Quillan,

You can get a chip inserted in the DVD player that will enable multi-region and multi-system playback but without a multi-system TV, you'll be screwed. Your picture will be snowy, black and white chaos.

Bonzo_Madrid
03-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Well being how no one has mentioned it....pursuit of the graf spee,the cruel sea is a fabulous movie too as well as cross of iron.

Simmoxx
03-30-2005, 09:34 PM
man,not one person mentioned the battle of Britain
for shame!!!!(edit;ok sorry ,seems one person did)
the best of the best

another classic is all quiet on the western front

the last bullet
odd angry shot
galipoli

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Holly-Woods:
Quillan,

You can get a chip inserted in the DVD player that will enable multi-region and multi-system playback but without a multi-system TV, you'll be screwed. Your picture will be snowy, black and white chaos. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get DVD players that enable multi-region and multi-system playback, and which actually convert the signal to whatever system your TV is. I just recently got one (because I'm British and living in the US, so some of my favourite films are only in PAL format) and it works great. You can play literally anything on it - well, that is, anything that's on a DVD or CD disc.

Holly-Woods
03-30-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:

You can get DVD players that enable multi-region and multi-system playback, and which actually convert the signal to whatever system your TV is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! That's cool. Is this a fairly new thing because when I was living in the UK a couple years back, there were no players that converted the signal; had to rely on the TV for that.

I'm a big Black Adder fan and all of the stuff I had on DVD, I had to leave with friends because the UK DVD players won't work here (with the giant plugs and power requirements). That was really annoying having to buy this stuff twice. Now I have a multi-system but not multi-region DVD player and I'm still SOL.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simmoxx:
the last bullet
odd angry shot
galipoli <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, the only thing I remember from 'The Odd Angry Shot' (apart from the fact that I liked the movie) is the wanking machine, LOL.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Holly-Woods:
Now I have a multi-system but not multi-region DVD player and I'm still SOL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they're relatively cheap. I just bought one for $200. You can find it here: http://www.planetomni.com/MSDVD_SMPO.shtml

Now that particular model is no longer available (they are a bit slow at updating their website, but they are good at getting shipments out fast), but if you call them up (and I'm assuming you live in the US), they'll get you the model you need (I got the Sampo DVE611).

Holly-Woods
03-30-2005, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
You can find it here: http://www.planetomni.com/MSDVD_SMPO.shtml <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankin' U!

Capt-Pugwash
03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Hello all its Pugwash here, at the minute im off the Spanish main aboard The Black Pig drinking hearty amounts of Rum and singing naughty songs with my band of villinous band of cut throats.Hmmmmm my fav war film has to be a russian film called "Come and see",its about a young russian farmer kid who's village is overrun by a unit of the Waffen ss,he buggers off sharpish into the forest and joins up with the partisans.Bloody great film Sean Penn thinks so as well and that will do for me as hes a great actor.Anyway thats enough from me im off now to do some pillaging

TA TA

blue_76
03-30-2005, 11:33 PM
The Blue Max. I just love WW1 dogfights http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
03-30-2005, 11:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt-Pugwash:
my fav war film has to be a russian film called "Come and see"... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, I just saw that movie today in the bookstore's DVD section. I saw Sean Penn's recommendation on the cover, and since I reckon he's the best director working in Hollywood at the moment I gave it some serious consideration, but the price ($30) put me off buying it on spec.

Hertston
03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
Haele, I popped over to amazon.co.uk and took a look. I didn't find the same exact version, but they do have Das Boot-The Miniseries, which should have all the footage, just not the extras. Unfortunately, it's English dubbed. Any chance of you getting a player that isn't region specific? I know they make them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The dub is an option, default is German with English subtitles.

GuillermoZS
03-31-2005, 12:29 AM
And don´t forget:

DARK BLUE WORLD

one of the bests WWII planes movies ever. And...

12 O´CLOCK HIGH
THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN