PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good at night missions in this game?

Tuskegee1989
07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Anyone good at any night flights or missions? I just got done doing my first night mission a few mins ago. It's kinda harder than day missions because you can barely see the enemy planes unless they have there night lights on at the wings.

LEXX_Luthor
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd guess night lights on AI aircraft in most of The Sims are a gaming crutch to help one overcome the lack of night combat environment modelling. For the most part, night combat historically relied upon...

(1) Search lights illuminating target directly as seen from below, or indirectly by silhouetting (sp?) from above a target against illuminated cloud sheets below.

(2) Moonlight, contrails, city lights below working like the searchlights described above, etc...

(3) Air intercept radar with or without ground radar vectoring, and electronic homing on radio emissions from target.

(4) On some occasions, light emissions from a target such as engine flame exhaust or afterburner, and in one case, a tail gunner using a flashlight when a Luftwaffe fighter happened to be just behind the bomber and neither knew each other were there before hand.

(5) To be completed after my pasting. I'm sure there must be others, but they can wait until I get pasted but good.

WTE_Galway
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
The fact that enemy bombers have their nav lights on is something of an immersion killer I believe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Basically the sort of things real life night fighters relied on are not modelled or barely modelled in IL2 -

1. search lights .. we have them but only at airfields

2. exhaust flame and glowing engine exhausts ... according to oleg at the time a major FPS killer if modelled authentically and not practical - at least with the state of PCs back then

3. radar late war ... the original WWII vintage authentic radar would probably be impossible for most simmers to learn to use effectively and if you want a simplified non-authentic radar its already there ... turn on aircraft icons.

OD_
07-10-2008, 08:40 AM
I enjoy it, and like flying strike missions at night, generally in the Beaufighter...consequently I am regularly at low level...have crashed into the sea a few times when I've not been able to distinguish the horizon properly! lol.

I find it's rearely dark enough on the maps, the AI fly with lights on and your wingmen always seem to lose you! As a result I fly alone and hit whatever I find...always good missions though.

Also it's no good if you've got daylight around you as you can't see much on the screen!!!

LEXX_Luthor
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Galway::
2. exhaust flame and glowing engine exhausts ... according to oleg at the time a major FPS killer if modelled authentically and not practical - at least with the state of PCs back then
That's not just Oleg, other developers as well often "give up" if they can't get Perfect Detail. The "authentic" detail modelling would never be seen during gameplay by a player in another aircraft, and would only be seen on closeup cameo static screenshots, or if possible from the cockpit of that aircraft, which could be important if the exhausts historically blinded pilots.

For aiding intercept, what you do is create "simple" modelling for use in the game with good grafix performance. At gameplay combat distances, the two methods exhausts grafix -- "authentic" and "simple" would look identical. We had a discussion recently, maybe at the 1C Yellow Wallpaper forum, that noted the fact that at combat distances, the customers would never see the difference between a 5,000 polygon plane model and a 5,000,000 polygon plane model.

LEXX_Luthor
07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
OD::
I find it's rearely dark enough on the maps,
That's another gaming crutch probably shared by all The Sims. Teh StrikeFighters out-of-box night sky is like a mid twilight blue, which of course I change to near black, although a good phased moon would make the sky a very dim shade of blue.