PDA

View Full Version : No AI-only for BoB

Foxtrot-Hotel
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Ok, I know chances that somebody "important" will read this are lower than low, but I have to much time and give it a try...

I have one simple, but great Idea for you(I bet I'm not the first to have it, but again I give it a try...):
ok, this is imposible to do for the FB series, so I suggest this for BOB:
Pleas don't program planes that are only available for AI only! You'll always find fans of some certain plane, and they all are sad that their fav-plane is "AI-ONLY". the solution is, just don't includ AI-only planes. make them all flyable... even flying a Fi-156 would be fun sometimes, and I would love to take the Blenheims out for a ride sometimes, and missionbuilders, and serverhosts will find some good ideas to incloud these planes usefully(even the "storch").
every plane will find many pilots who will love to fly it, I guarantee this, no matter which plane you'll add in your sim.
Make every plane in a flightsim flyable, and you'll have even more fans and costumers of your next Sim.

If somebody important read this, and thinks about the idea, let me now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Foxtrot-Hotel
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Ok, I know chances that somebody "important" will read this are lower than low, but I have to much time and give it a try...

I have one simple, but great Idea for you(I bet I'm not the first to have it, but again I give it a try...):
ok, this is imposible to do for the FB series, so I suggest this for BOB:
Pleas don't program planes that are only available for AI only! You'll always find fans of some certain plane, and they all are sad that their fav-plane is "AI-ONLY". the solution is, just don't includ AI-only planes. make them all flyable... even flying a Fi-156 would be fun sometimes, and I would love to take the Blenheims out for a ride sometimes, and missionbuilders, and serverhosts will find some good ideas to incloud these planes usefully(even the "storch").
every plane will find many pilots who will love to fly it, I guarantee this, no matter which plane you'll add in your sim.
Make every plane in a flightsim flyable, and you'll have even more fans and costumers of your next Sim.

If somebody important read this, and thinks about the idea, let me now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chuck_Older
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I am definitely the most important person I know, and I have thought about this

Historically, Oleg has only accepted planes for flyable that meet certain requirements in terms of what he considers quality

Almost without doubt, you can call this level of quality 'high'

So you either have few aircraft flyable (which is the report we hear from Oleg- small number of flyables ot start), you have few aircraft total because you only have flyable aircraft, or you have some aircraft of less than high quality

I don't agree with the idea that it's better to have an aircraft missing than it is to have the aircraft unflyable by the player

ImpStarDuece
01-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Lets look at this another way.

Suppose that you need 20 types of aircraft to recreate a theatre effectively. For example, Malta, 1942, just because I'm reading about it at the moment. To model the battle for Malta in 1942 alone you would need at least:

British

Spitfire Vc (trop),
Spitfire PR IV/VI
Hurricane IIB/IIC,
Beaufighter,
Swordfish,
Beaufort,
Albacore,

German

Ju-87B/D/R
Bf 109F4
Bf 109G2
Ju-88A4/A5/A6
Do 24K/T
He 111H
BF 110G

Italy

MC 200
MC 202
Re 2001
SM 79
BR 20
R.S. 14
Z. 506B
Z. 1007bis

So, around 22 aircraft to represent a whole year around Malta, without taking in 'occasional' aircraft like Sunderlands, Venturas, Ju 52s or SM 84s.

Now, suppose that you only have sufficient cockpit and gunner position refeneces to model 12 of them realistically. Do you then just ignore around 1/2 of the aircraft that saw combat in the theatre because you can't make them flyable? Do you neglect the sea-planes and/or the more minor types (Beauforts, B.R. 20, Z. 1007, Do 24 ect) just because you are unable to recreate cockpits for them? Or instead do you put in AI only planes so that people can recreate all the missions in a particular theatre?

I'd obviously prefer to have EVERYTHING flyable, but i don't think that it's a realistic goal for some theatres. Some of these aircraft simply don't exist anymore, so accurate cockpit models may be hard to impossible to find.

I rather have the virtual world heavily populated with a mix of flyables and non-flyables, than a wirtual world populated by relatively few aircraft that are all flyable.

Skycat_2
01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
ImpStarDeuce replied well. I was working on a flippant remark about also making all of the vehicles drivable.

In the current FB/PF I am perfectly content living without a C-47/Dakota dynamic campaign ...

FWIW.

vocatx
01-25-2006, 06:49 PM
The main thing is that we have the MAIN PLAYERS flyable. Take a look at Pacific Fighters to see what I mean.(No Kate, Devastator, Avenger, etc.) I personally could care less if the La-5FN were flyable or AI (I'm not knocking it, I enjoy flying it), but why has the Ju-88 never been flyable. Why do we have no Do-17, or flyable Blenhiem?

Foxtrot-Hotel
01-26-2006, 03:20 AM
You all got me a little wrong here...I'm not talking about letting any plane out..I want them all in, and all flyable, even when that means that more resources are needed...even the minor represented ones... I'm talking about as much planes as we can get, and all flyable...
if it realy not possible to add cockpits to some of the Birds, I totaly agree with your opinion to put them in as well, but we have many planes which have the oportunity to get a cockpit, and it would be a great Plus if every plane has it's cockpits, and gunpĆ¼ositions, as far as posible...and the rest could be AI only, I agree with that..

SaQSoN
01-26-2006, 03:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You all got me a little wrong here...I'm not talking about letting any plane out..I want them all in, and all flyable, even when that means that more resources are needed...even the minor represented ones... I'm talking about as much planes as we can get, and all flyable... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, you say, you are going to donate (note, donate, not invest) in 1C game dev. business enough money, to hire addtional crew (like 50-100 more people with monthly salary at about 3-5K USD, each), who will do all those models and program them into the engine in a reasonable time (like a year or so)?
Do we getting you right now?
If we do, then hurry up and contact Oleg, please, immidiately! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Foxtrot-Hotel
01-26-2006, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SaQSoN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You all got me a little wrong here...I'm not talking about letting any plane out..I want them all in, and all flyable, even when that means that more resources are needed...even the minor represented ones... I'm talking about as much planes as we can get, and all flyable... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, you say, you are going to donate (note, donate, not invest) in 1C game dev. business enough money, to hire addtional crew (like 50-100 more people with monthly salary at about 3-5K USD, each), who will do all those models and program them into the engine in a reasonable time (like a year or so)?
Do we getting you right now?
If we do, then hurry up and contact Oleg, please, immidiately! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I say, I defenetly buy this sim to pay the personal...I wouldn't even moan if all that "extra" work wouldn't take more personal, just double the time and add 2 weeks extra, to make this a marked ready, and complete produkt http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SaQSoN
01-26-2006, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I say, I defenetly buy this sim to pay the personal... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You see, there is one litle problem: that wouldn't be enough.
I thought, it is obvious, that the ammount of certain product content is dictated by the desired size of the margin between investments and predicted revenue from the product sales.

In other words, the ammount of flyable planes in the BoB will depend on their development cost and possible revenue from the BoB sales.

By enlarging the number of flyables, you will make the development cost to go up (very quickly) and in the end it will become larger, then any possible revenue. Which would render the whole business pointless.

Foxtrot-Hotel
01-26-2006, 05:47 AM
I know what you mean saqson, and you are defenetly right, but on the other hand we keep getting updates and new planes, that take resources, which COULD be used to add to the completion of BoB.
I love to get those updates, but as you can see, it can't be just a question of money alone... many factors to calculate with, money, deadlines, marketanalyses, stuped fns like me ;-),and so on...
sure I don't want to have a a "storch" flyable to the costs of a half-ready game, that wouldn't make sense..., but having as much planes as possible(finacials inclouded) in a sim is defenetly great, but it would be even better with most of them flyable...

JG53Frankyboy
01-26-2006, 05:58 AM
i think with flyable planes like:
Bf109E
Bf110C
Ju87B
Do17 or He111 or Ju88A ( i would prefer Ju88A)
Cr.42
G.50
Br.20
Spitfire I/II
Hurricane I
Blenheim IV

you can do a lot in the BoB time area !

GT182
01-26-2006, 09:00 AM
That's all well and good having all aircraft flyable but.... the main thing most of us want is being able to use Tracker IRs with the vectoring software.