PDA

View Full Version : Understanding online points system?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 03:00 PM
If you shoot down an opponent then get shot down yourself you only get 10 pts? If you return to base though, you get 100? I shot down 4 a/c one after the other in WC server today and then bailed being captured by enemy forces. I hit refly before being booted and it only gave me a score of 40. I take it, if I would've have made it home safely or ejected over friendly lines I would've gotten 400 pts?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 03:00 PM
If you shoot down an opponent then get shot down yourself you only get 10 pts? If you return to base though, you get 100? I shot down 4 a/c one after the other in WC server today and then bailed being captured by enemy forces. I hit refly before being booted and it only gave me a score of 40. I take it, if I would've have made it home safely or ejected over friendly lines I would've gotten 400 pts?

Taylortony
02-13-2005, 04:36 PM
u have to land to get the 400 i believe............. go for bombers they score even better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stiglr
02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Simply put, it's set (rightly so) to make you want to return home and live to tell about your mission.

You still get token credit for kills if you don't make it back, but to get full credit, land your kills.

Makes sense to me.

Seems like on that 4th kill you got careless, greedy or perhaps unlucky.

Better luck (or sense) next time. And then you'll get the score you deserve.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Simply put, it's set (rightly so) to make you want to return home and live to tell about your mission.

You still get token credit for kills if you don't make it back, but to get full credit, land your kills.

Makes sense to me.

Seems like on that 4th kill you got careless, greedy or perhaps unlucky.

Better luck (or sense) next time. And then you'll get the score you deserve. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I entered the fight I had 3 other friendlies with me. By the time I had finished off my 4th kill there wasn't a allied plane around lol. I assume they bugged out or were shot down. There were so many burning holes in the ground I couldn't tell ya. I actually was so friggin close to the red marker I could've cried. I saw 2 bf109's and FW on my tail with no help close by so I took my broken a/c as far as she would let me before a bf109 sawed my wing off(as warclouds server so nicely put it). I just barely missed the friendly lines and had to eject. I think if my friends would've been able to stay alive just a little longer I might have made it across. Oh well, That's the best run I've ever had in the almost month I've had the game!

LW_August
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
You have to land at an airfield to get the full amount of points. However, it doesn't have to be an active field and it doesn't even have to be on your side of the lines.

WTE_Galway
02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
sinking boats gives good points http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LuckyBoy1
02-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Let me be a friend and be blunt here. If you are playing this game for points, you are playing the wrong game.

I fly cover for an online JABO squad. It is my job to run around and put a few rounds in each and every 109 and 190 attacking us. Any 109 fan here wil;l tell you it is a great plane until it is injured. Then it is a real challenge to fly. At that point, the JABO's flying planes with far more ammo than my P-51 come in and process the enemy like so much surplus meat. They get the kills scored to them. Does this mean I didn't provide the needed effort to win the mission?

Try to think stradegy and teamwork and not points.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Let me be a friend and be blunt here. If you are playing this game for points, you are playing the wrong game.

I fly cover for an online JABO squad. It is my job to run around and put a few rounds in each and every 109 and 190 attacking us. Any 109 fan here wil;l tell you it is a great plane until it is injured. Then it is a real challenge to fly. At that point, the JABO's flying planes with far more ammo than my P-51 come in and process the enemy like so much surplus meat. They get the kills scored to them. Does this mean I didn't provide the needed effort to win the mission?

Try to think stradegy and teamwork and not points. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like the topic says, I'm just trying to understand the points system. Now I know. I fly with my squad all the time and the last thing that's on my mind is points. I just try and keep us in the air as long as possible. They do the same for me also! Thanks.

Zeus-cat
02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Since none of us play for points, just ignore this:

Object Points
Aircraft 100 points per engine
AAA 60
Tanks 40
Halftracks 40
Armored Cars 40
Artillery 30
Train Car 30
Trucks/Cars 25
Static Aircraft 20
Ships 100 (this has changed since PF, but I have not updated it)

Single Player Mode Points
Hidden Objective 100
Primary Objective 50
Secondary Objective 50

Being killed results in 90% loss of points
Being captured results in 80% loss of points
Bailing out alive on your side of the front line results in 50% loss of points
Emergency landing (crash or landing off the runway) results in 30% loss of points.

Note that landing penalties do not apply to carriers as the game does not consider these landings. In other words you can crash on deck and as long sas you do not exit the plane you are not penalized.

Zeus-cat

SlickStick
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Good explanation, Zeus.

The other thing to remember, if the guy who scored hits on you dies before you land, you 'll get full points no matter how much damage he inflicted, provided you don't break the prop, gear or other bits on landing.

Stiglr
02-14-2005, 12:22 PM
@Luckyboy1:

I sort of agree with you about flying for a team, and for a purpose... but the idea that you are "punished" pointswise for failing to return is also a good thing.

Too many "flying Quakeheads" look at arbitrary points as a measure of their flying. It is at some point, a measure of how many you can take down, but it also factors in what should be a very healthy survival instinct.

The answer, if you ask me, is to allow the host to assign both point values and rigid win/lose objectives that are assignable to certain objects (bridges, certain buildings, staff cars, or to attrition rates). In this way, you can have REAL mission objectives, and you can also weight objects to try and control player behavior. Ex: if it's a Kursk scenario, you might put big weight on armor killed and on Sturmos and Stukas, and minimize fighter on fighter kills. Or the whole scenario could hinge on whether a certain bridge is blown or standing after 2 hours of play.

Any scenario, dogfight or co-op is improved when there's more of an objective than "fly in that direction and shoot down whatever you see".