PDA

View Full Version : Combat Flaps

blazer-glory
05-30-2005, 01:58 AM
I understand the concept and lowering and raising flaps for landing and taking off but don't understand the purpose of the 'combat position'

ImpStarDuece
05-30-2005, 02:11 AM
The basic idea behind combat flaps is that they are designed to give improved lift to the wing without significantly increasing drag.

If the wing has more 'lift' then it allows several things; 1) to fly at lower speeds while in control i.e. a lower stall speed 2) to increase the maximum angle of attack of the wing before a stall is induced i.e. a tighter turn.

Essentially, combat flaps keep you in the air a little longer at slow speed and allow you to appreciably tighten turns at some speed ranges.

I often use combat flaps in my P-47 for a second or two to bring my nose around for a shot that might otherwise stall the plane (particularly in upwards transitional shots I have noticed). I will often deploy them to tighten a turn and bleed more speed than my opponent expects in an effort to force an overshoot.

F19_Ob
05-30-2005, 02:46 AM
What Impy said....

And The 'combat' flap setting is the only safe setting where U wont jam them because of too high speed.

Since adding lift is the purpose of flaps, all flapsettings can be used in combat, one just have to be careful with the speed.
The jamming speed is a little different depending on plane.

One of my favorite tricks (when it succeeds)is to force an overshoot on an enemy wich also declerates hard to stay behind me.
I make a final difficult angle for him to draw deflection on and I set my flaps for landing and trim up.
If I calculated correctly the enemy stalls when trying to pull lead, or just overshoots outside my envelope.
To get speed down safely, with an enemy in pursuit, I usually barrelroll wich also makes it hard to hit me and add a move for the enemy to react on and draw focus away from my attempt to declerate.

This is one extreeme (emergency) use of flaps but I constantly use them in battle to improve my angle or to lose speed fast for a best turn inside an enemy or just to climb high and stand still on the top of it long enough for an enemy to end up in front and below.

It's hard to describe the situation and the advantage U can get with text only but I usually fly slow planes wich cant escape the opposition and therefore I have to make the most of what I have.
Without flaps I'm sure I would have been able to escape or win the way I have been doing.

Some times in an escaping situation I have been able to avoid getting shot down in seemingly 'clear-shot' situations but instead I've evaded 2-4 attacks before a friendly in a better ride has arrived to aid.

So flaps are both killenablers and buttsavers.
It takes a while to get the experience to use them to full effect(learning flap speeds) but the jurney there is fun.

a thought http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Tully__
05-30-2005, 04:33 AM
At low speeds (below those speeds at which the aircraft is able to exceed the pilot's or aircraft's ability to withstand maximum available lift) the combat flaps provide some lift boost, though with a small drag penalty. At higher speeds they just make you black out or break the wings easier http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

blazer-glory
05-30-2005, 07:15 AM
There's too much to this flying business. Ive got alot to learn! :s

VW-IceFire
05-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Some aircraft like the Ki-84, P-38, and the N1K-1J and 2J (if those become flyable) had specialized combat flaps that were designed to give alot of extra lift with very little penalty by extending the flap rearwards during its extension.

The N1K versions actually have automatic deployment and retraction.

I use combat flaps for a second or two at a time to improve a shot but nothing more than that. P-51D, Corsair, P-47, P-38, and a few others really benefit from their use. I rarely use them on the FW190 as they seem to overcontrol the plane and stall it.