PDA

View Full Version : Newview question

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 11:18 PM
I've set up newview and am really happy with it - I've got much more situational awareness now I can look around easily.

There's one thing I'd like to do with it, and that is to set the 3 and 4 buttons on my joystick to look over my left and right shoulder (to check my 6). What I'd like is to have it so it looks around whilst the button is depressed, and snaps back to the last view when the button is released.

Can any of the newview experts (Jetstream?), tell me if this is possible, and how I'd do it.

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 11:18 PM
I've set up newview and am really happy with it - I've got much more situational awareness now I can look around easily.

There's one thing I'd like to do with it, and that is to set the 3 and 4 buttons on my joystick to look over my left and right shoulder (to check my 6). What I'd like is to have it so it looks around whilst the button is depressed, and snaps back to the last view when the button is released.

Can any of the newview experts (Jetstream?), tell me if this is possible, and how I'd do it.

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 03:35 AM
You ... sort of can.

Please see the unofficial Newview setup documentation at http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_newview.htm - this is a [sort of] clear runthrough of all of the Newview program menus with descriptions. All information in it is from the user community so there are still some blank areas, but it's now mostly complete.

What you want to do is covered by the following sections:

"

Once you are satisfied that you have your joystick and POV hat numbers selected and have checked that NewView can use them in the Joystick tab, click the "Apply" button, then select the next tab over to the right, Buttons.

XYToLog will write out X/Y coordinates for the current view position in Forgotten Battles. If you find a particular viewpoint that you would like to be able to snap to with a button press, you should bind XYToLog to a key or button, then press this key or button when you are looking at the specific point you wish to be able to snap to later. The coordinates will be noted in the NewView log file. You can then enter these coordinates in under the Additional Settings > Uview tab, then bind the appropriate button to the numbered coordinates in the Buttons > Combinations > Uview control subtab. Note that you must tick the checkbox to "enable logging" in the Additional Settings > Miscellaneous tab for coordinate logging to function.

Uview:

7 different Uview coordinates can be bound here. Please see the XYToLog setting mentioned above for specific instructions on these controls. Note that the same semantics apply here as for the Centering section - various Uview controls will either snap or pan depending on whether you have selected "with return" or "without return".

The UView Coordinates subtab allows you to enter coordinates obtained from the Newview Log file:

Each numbered Uview coordinate allows a subtly different function. Again, "with return" refers to making your view pan to the specific coordinates entered, "without return" will instantly snap your view to that location. "With return to center" will move your view to the specific position defined, then pan your pilots eyes back to look at the gunsight. Please see the setting XYToLog above for a more detailed explanation.

Several other important settings are controlled from the next sub tab, Miscellaneous:

Enable Logging is essential if you wish to make NewView save coordinates for the purposes of entering them in the Uview tab. You can also set the path and filename for the NewView log file.

"

So basically -

1. enable logging in the Miscellaneous panel,
2. bind a key to "XYToLog" in the Buttons section,
3. load FB,
4. poke your XYToLog button when you're looking at the point you want to be able to snap/return back from,
5. exit FB and load up your NewView log file and NewView
6. enter the coordinates from the logfile in the UView coordinates panel
7. bind the buttons you want to use for those views in the Buttons > UView controls panel.

Now, when I went to actually go and do this, I think I discovered a little buglet in NewView - certain coordinates won't activate the 'with return' option. It seems 'with return' [pan there and pan back to previous view angle] can only handle small coordinate values. For example, setting 12000 / -12000 for the X coordinate made the view 'stick' there and wouldn't come back. Small Y values assigned to the same UView would return back to the previous Y coordinate value when the button was released. The "jump to" buttons also ended up with some problems of their own as well, making the view look down into the cockpit seat when they were released.

Given these problems, may I suggest that you bind your UView buttons to "with return", which will pan to those coords just fine. Then, assign the function "Center View Without Return" to button3+4 - NewView allows controls to be assigned to two keys or buttons being pressed at once.

So say, button 3 will look over your left shoulder, button 4 will look over your right shoulder, and both together will snap your viewpoint back to the gunsight.

This is only the result of a few minutes experimentation. If anyone else [jetstream?] wants to do similar tests and see what you can find out what's going on, that'd be nice :>

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 08:52 AM
I've set up a check-six with return to previous view using UView1 and UView2.

1) Assign a key for these functions in Buttons tab (3.1)
2) Assign coordinates in Additional Settings tab (4.2)

1. With Return (Check Six, Left) X 12300, Y 0
2. With Return (Check Six, Right) X -12300, Y 0

That's it.

NOTE: You can add the use a combination of keys and buttons as well in NewView (like using a Modifier key). I still haven't taken full advantage of this feature. For example, you can use the same joybutton for multiple functions if you are willing to use a modifier like CTRL, ALT, SPACE or another joybutton at the same time.

Check Mirrors!
UView5 -> X = 0, Y = -2300

If anyone has Toggle View Mode working, let me know. Apparently it offers THREE viewing modes: 1 = NewView, 2 = IL2_1, 3 = IL2_2.

Clint, can you add this to the HELP/FAQ?

Jet