PDA

View Full Version : Patch 4.10 size? and some help

salthill
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
hi
haven't been on for a while . i see that 4.10m is the latest patch. how big is it?
currently my il2 folder is on my C: drive which is almost full , can i move it to my D; drive and install the patch there?

thanks
salthill

Sillius_Sodus
03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
The patch weighs in at around 288mb, with an additional 65mb for the 4.10.1 patch and yes, you can move your IL2 folder to a different hd and install the patch.

M_Gunz
03-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Just the patch files alone: 4.10 is 295,854k and 4.10.1 is 66,422k -- but some overwrites files already on 4.09.

You could try to just copy the whole folder to another partition and patch that. Making folder copies to have multiple patch/mod versions running works. Just don't wipe the original unless you at least have an IL2 DVD to reinstall from.

Time to start thinking of a drive cleanup or new drive. Burn some DVDs or get or make an external. There's a power and cable rig setup in different versions (the Sabrent is more expensive but built more solid, $25-$30, and the Geeks runs $10-$15 depending on sale) that lets you run internal IDE/SATA as external USB drives you can plug and swap. Got any 'old' drives?

AndyJWest
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Yes, as others have said, you can copy the IL-2 folder to another drive, and patch that - you may even find it loads a little faster that way (having your swap file on a different drive from the application often helps) Just copy the lot, and create a new shortcut to the .exe file.

These days, external HDs are fairly cheap, or if you've got old unused internal drives, as M_Gunz suggests, you can recycle them - I've just removed the drive bay holder from an ancient (1997?) Dell PC, installed a rescued 120GB IDE and 233 GB SATA drive, plugged in a USB connection gadget (Maplins 25, with the PSU - I'm sure I'd have paid less elsewhere), and got myself a nice backup system for my cheepo netbook - and rescued the files on the HDs too. A new external HD would probably not cost me that much more, but I can now access more or less any HD, and feel 'green' with it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif