PDA

View Full Version : noob question re: waypoints & ground attack points

noobisoft
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
1.) When flying in single missions, do navigation waypoints only show the spot on the ground over which the pilot is expected to fly? Or do they also contain any information that I have not figured out how to access such as recommended altitude and air speed for that point in the flight? (Perhaps I am confusing this with discussions I've looked at regarding setting waypoints in the full mission builder.)

2.) Last night while flying the 2nd single mission for USSR in an IL-2 (an October anti-armor mission in IL-2 1946), I saw that the map indicated a large number of ground attack points well off my flight course, separate from and east of my armor target area points, and apparently behind friendly lines(?!) Does anyone know what these group of target points indicated? (Secondary targets perhaps? An invitation for fratricide?) I did hear over the radio that bombers were approaching, but I never saw them, nor any indication of their payloads hitting anywhere in the area.

Cheers

noobisoft
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
1.) When flying in single missions, do navigation waypoints only show the spot on the ground over which the pilot is expected to fly? Or do they also contain any information that I have not figured out how to access such as recommended altitude and air speed for that point in the flight? (Perhaps I am confusing this with discussions I've looked at regarding setting waypoints in the full mission builder.)

2.) Last night while flying the 2nd single mission for USSR in an IL-2 (an October anti-armor mission in IL-2 1946), I saw that the map indicated a large number of ground attack points well off my flight course, separate from and east of my armor target area points, and apparently behind friendly lines(?!) Does anyone know what these group of target points indicated? (Secondary targets perhaps? An invitation for fratricide?) I did hear over the radio that bombers were approaching, but I never saw them, nor any indication of their payloads hitting anywhere in the area.

Cheers

Ba5tard5word
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
waypoints are mainly for setting the path of AI-controlled planes. they don't appear in your field of vision but they do show up on your map. they also set up an autopilot route you can take--the autopilot route will be a black line between your plane and the waypoint, turn on autopilot and your plane will follow it.

not sure about the other stuff, I haven't really played any campaign missions much. you could maybe open the mission in the full mission builder and see how it is set up.

Zeus-cat
02-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Sometimes a mission builder will place a target icon on a moving object far away from the player's position. This is so that the player will have to hunt for the target and not just look for it at teh target icon. I did this in my torpedo bomber campaign. I put the target icon on the last waypoint for ships the player was supposed to target. Those waypoints would take 2 days for the ship to reach.

You should hear radio chatter from all of the aircraft on your side. Ignore most of it.

If you can figure out which pilot is YOUR flight leader, he will call out altitudes and compass headings as he approaches waypoints. This is difficult if there a re a lot of friendly planes flying around.