PDA

View Full Version : Silent hunter 3 or 4?

pensfan17
06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm a newbee here. Looking to purchase either version need some advise. Silent Hunter 3 interests me more on a subject matter standpoint but is 3 years old. How do the gameplay, campaigns, and graphics compare? Is Silent Hunter 4 much better in these elements? How is Silent Hunter 3's imersion compared to Silent Hunter 4? Does Silent Hunter 3 work with Vista?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Al

WilhelmSchulz.
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Get SHIII. The campaign and gameplay are the same in SHIV as in SHIII. The only diffrence is in graphics. But there are so many bugs in SHIV thats its I have just given up on it(yes I have it and tried it). I say go with SHIII.

Maverick_U2007
06-25-2008, 05:38 AM
My personal choice....

SH3...Great game and with the supermods of GWX and WAC the game will keep you immersed for hours and hours on end. The graphics though are 'slightly dated' but doesn't detract from the gameplay. SH3 is also harder than SH4.

SH4...Another great game which started off with more bugs than could be found in your compost heap...however, with all the patches and MODS it is a game to be admired. The gameplay is a lot easier...the DD's are in no way as lethal as in SH3. The graphics are outstanding and the Supermods....Trigger Maru Overhaul and RSRD take the campaign mode to new heights.

SH3 and SH4 both run in Vista.

A 'Mid range' computer will easily play SH3 but 'may' struggle with SH4.

I know this won't help you but BUY BOTH!!!!. There are so many versions now of the two games that I have 7 seperate installs on my computer.

Playing SH3/SH4 is not gaming, it's a lifetime of tactics and strategy and believe me our lives are not long enough!!!!!!

Maverick

pensfan17
06-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys. This is the info I was looking for. Looks like I'll be getting SH3!

Al

klcarroll
06-25-2008, 07:00 AM
I guess I'll throw my two cents in here:

I think the major question here is which theater of operations you prefer. Some people are die-hard fans of the Atlantic and the U-Boat war; .....And there are many people you can find over on the SH4 Forum who would never even concider leaving the Pacific and their Fleet Boats. Which war are you most interested in??

Maverick makes a great point concerning hardware: ...I run SH3 with GWX on a Dell Laptop, and I am happy with the way it runs.

The same machine staggers under the load SH4 places on it.

One thing you should keep in mind is that sometime in the next year or so, SH3 is going to be "reborn": ....And not through any effort on UBI's part.

When UBI released the "U-Boat Add-On" for SH4, they opened the door for the "Modding Community" to recreate SH3 and the Atlantic War under the new SH4 graphics engine; ....and this work has been progressing! .....The Mods have already added a TypeVIIC, and work on a TypeII is under way.

....But since SH3 can be had for under $20, there is no excuse to wait, if U-Boats are "your thing"!

klcarroll

trainzmainiac
06-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Definently SH4. SH3 is a good game, however it's age is a factor. SH4 has superior graphics, gameplay, and more people are playing it now, so it's easier to find a multiplayer game. As stated before, it had many bugs to start, however with all the patches and mods such as TMO it becomes one awsome game! I highly recomend it.

Trainzmainiac

Kielhauler1961
06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Silent Hunter 3, without a doubt. The Atlantic/Med. war gets harder the longer it goes on, the Pacific war gets easier. I gave up on SH4 about two months after buying it. klcarrol is right, preference is probably a cultural thing. If you were previously more interested in U-boats than Fleet boats then go with your first instinct.

pensfan17
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I ended up buying SH3. Still doing the Naval Acadamy, and am quite impressed with the level of realism and detail. Alittle intiminated about manual torpedeo calculations, but willing to learn!

Al

Bullitt_TDI
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
It's simple. Buy both. I beleive UBI now offers a bundle pack of SH3 ,SH4 and u-boat add on.

Many players on here have both. I am playing 4 now. I don't like one over the other. Both have it's pluses and minuses. I don't think your could say there is a clear winner. Both are two different theaters of war and the operation styles are a little different. To say one is better is in the eye of the beholder really.

Though, as for multiplay. I left a SH3 flotilla for a SH4 subron www.subron16.com (http://www.subron16.com). In the first 10 days of commissioning we gained ~11 members eager to play. I haven't seen that for SH3 in long time.

In the end, I don't knock neither, get both, be happy. Both offer Supermods, and both have gone through the same amount of patches. Though, SH4 has the U-boat add-on pack which makes things more interesting for modding the whote u-boat fleet for SH4.

msalama
06-30-2008, 06:41 AM
I have both, but SH3 is my choice until I can afford a new computer.

It's not that I prefer U-boats over fleetboats per se - although the Atlantic campaign seems a bit harder and thus maybe a tad more exciting - but my old machine just doesn't want to run SH4 very well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif