PDA

View Full Version : Making test movie...how do i remove all the icons?

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Just working on a few test movies to see if my G2 MX400 can chug along at a good enough pace to make movies with. How do i disable all the icons...so it looks like guncam footage?

Message Edited on 08/21/0304:02PM by Blade_X_

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Just working on a few test movies to see if my G2 MX400 can chug along at a good enough pace to make movies with. How do i disable all the icons...so it looks like guncam footage?

Message Edited on 08/21/0304:02PM by Blade_X_

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Go to Control menu and assign a key to the "Toggle Icons" command /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Or disable Icons in the realism menu.

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:FF3300;font-size:12pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">A society flexible enough to stand for everything really stands for nothing </div></center>

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Or put this in the RCU file which is in..

C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles

Open it with notepad and put this in...

@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

Open Shift TAB and type...

v1fr
v2ff
v1fo

Icons are more usefull now (dare I say more realistic) and does not destract the eyes from concentrating on the target.

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:FF3300;font-size:12pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">A society flexible enough to stand for everything really stands for nothing </div></center>

Message Edited on 08/21/0305:35PM by SmokeJaguar

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:48 PM
SmokeJaguar wrote:
- Or put this in the RCU file which is in..
-
- C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten
- Battles
-
- Open it with notepad and put this in...
-
- SmokeJaguar

Could you describe more precisely what these changes will do, before we go to the effort of making the changes?? I trust that whatever the changes do, the option to toggle icons off completely will reamin.

Thanks.

<center>Wiley</center><center><font color="#FF0000";font size="3pt">Click HERE to visit Wiley'sWWIIGunCameraWorld (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Frameset/)</center>
<center>http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/wi/wileycoyote2/IwoJimatiny2.gif (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Movies/SandsOne.WMV) </center>
<center><font size ="2pt">Click Flag-Raising for the Full-Size(4.2Mb) Version</center>

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 06:03 PM
OberstWiley wrote:
- Could you describe more precisely what these
- changes will do, before we go to the effort of
- making the changes?? I trust that whatever the
- changes do, the option to toggle icons off
- completely will reamin.
-
-
- Thanks.
-

This is information direct from the FAQ and I should have said my bad.

http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm#How%20do%20I%20customise%20icons

Q: How do I customise icons?
A: I see more & more people are considering custom icons as an option to address the dot visibility problem at middle ranges.
Here is some information on controlling dot and icon display. the console command to use is "mp_dotrange".
To activate the console, go into the chat window and type ">"
All information entered into the chat window will be treated as console commands until you backspace over the ">" character.
You can also toggle in and out of console mode by pressing Shift-Tab.

There are a number of parameters available for the mp_dotrange command. They are

FRIENDLY & FOE indicates that this use of the command applies to friendly or enemy units
To apply the same settings to both sides, omit this parameter.

DOT Specifies the range at which the dot becomes visible.

NAME Range at which Pilot name becomes visible

COLOR Range at which the icon takes on the army color

TYPE How far the aircraft type information is displayed.

RANGE Distance at which range information is displayed

ID Where the aircraft ID numbers become visible.

This command is case sensitive. "mp_dotrange" must be in lowercase and the parameters are in uppercase. Range is specified in km after each parameter, and I believe that the minimum you can specify is 0.05km.
The default distances are DOT 16km and all other information 6km.

The command
>mp_dotrange DEFAULT
will restore the icons to the default distances.

The command
>mp_dotrange
without any parameters will display the current icon settings in the console.

One version of custom icons I have seen in use is icons for friendlies, no icons for enemies.
To get these settings, you need to type in the chat window the following console commands immediately after you click fly.

>mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
>mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1

This will give you friendly information at the following ranges.

Aircraft dot 15km
Range 5km
Pilot name 2.5km
All other 100m

On enemy

Aircraft dot 15km
All other 100m

Another version uses a different scheme, using the same parameters for all aircraft. I don't know the exact settings used, but they are something like:

>mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05

The justification for these is the resulting icons are really short and don't clutter up the image very much. It's fairly good to fly with too, you don't have to be right on top of someone to identify friend or foe, and provided you take note of the id number, you can keep track of friend/foe even if you get outside of COLOR range again.

If I set custom icons, I use settings that mimic my personal feelings about where each of the factors would really be visible. I use something like the following:

>mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

As I understand it, in the real deal pilots were usually able to tell friend from foe by aircraft type, but occasionally they encountered captured aircraft with enemy markings. Consequently I've chosen to "recognise" type at a greater range than friend/enemy. All of these settings are based on my own experiences observing aircraft in flight at air shows and from airport terminals. I think they are reasonable estimate as my eyesight is not perfect, but a pilot in combat is usually trying to determine these factors in less than ideal conditions, reducing the advantage of his "superior" eyesight.

There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

With these lines in your rcu. file typing ">tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing ">v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing ">v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and ">v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

Credit to IJ of JG11 for developing the first scheme & vol_lizking for the second.

I hope this helps those of you who may be thinking of experimenting with custom icons.