PDA

View Full Version : XP Vs Vista article at sim HQ

JG52Uther
09-03-2007, 05:17 AM
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_110a.html

DrHerb
09-03-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm very happy with XP pro for now, but soon enough i will go to Vista at least when a service pack 1 is released

Xiolablu3
09-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I see absoolutely no reason to go from a stable, bug free version of windows to an unstable buggy release purely becasue it looks nicer or has a few extra 'bolt on' features.

I'll be sticking with WinXp for a year or so.

Can anyone list any valid reasons for changing to Vista from WinXP pro?>

Bewolf
09-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Aside direct X 10 and the new aero looks, there is none noteworthy.

Actually Vista has less features then XP, everything added together.

On top of that, digital rights management is brought to a new level. Unlike other system, Vista dictates you what you can do and what not, despite having the technical means.

Nothing for me in the foreseeable future.

stansdds
09-03-2007, 07:07 AM
The only reason to go to XP Pro would be for 64 bit software support.

For me, 32 bit Widows XP SP2 Home works just fine and I'll be keeping it until I am pretty much forced to upgrade or when a truly better operating system comes from M$.

Xiolablu3
09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
As I am a Computer engineer/fixer, I will soon be forced to test it out soon , as soon as I have a few spare parts powerful enough to bang a quick system together to run it.

I have not had any computers with Windows Vista for me to fix yet. I am guessing the first will start arriving in a month or two.

I will know better about the qualities/hindrances of Vista then, I am sure.

verbaska
09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I have the Il2 on Vista. It's working very well

horseback
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I have it on my new laptop, but ONLY because you can't find a new laptop of any horsepower with XP loaded on it any more. Fortunately, the only reason I have Il-2 '46 loaded on it is to show my buddies at work some of my better tracks made while flying on my big XP system gaming machine...

cheers

horseback

Tator_Totts
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I see absoolutely no reason to go from a stable, bug free version of windows to an unstable buggy release purely becasue it looks nicer or has a few extra 'bolt on' features.

Actually my Vista 64 bit crashes less than XP did. It is a more Stable platform. It is just the driver support is not good and the performance of framte rate is less than XP. Some software might not work.

The security features are a pain in the @$$.
Have to disable UAC and always install programs out of the default Program File dir.

I would not recommend right now to go to Vista for frame rate performance. I went to Vista because I knew that the driver support would not be great and I like to tweak around and fix things. I wanted to move to 64 bit and buying XP 64 bit did not seem the right choice to make. Rather by a new OS.

Vista is a stable platform when it comes to crashes and BSOD. Performance no it lags behind XP. 32 bit is easier with drivers and installs.

Games are starting to hit the memory wall and they will have to go to 64 bit soon. I just jump in earlier and deal with the problems.

Waldo.Pepper
09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Vista is inevitable, but I see no reasons to be an early adopter. And plenty of reasons to put it off for as long as possible.

VW-IceFire
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
As I am a Computer engineer/fixer, I will soon be forced to test it out soon , as soon as I have a few spare parts powerful enough to bang a quick system together to run it.

I have not had any computers with Windows Vista for me to fix yet. I am guessing the first will start arriving in a month or two.

I will know better about the qualities/hindrances of Vista then, I am sure.
Biggest issue I've had with my support analyst job is people having problems with UAC and not understanding what they need to do when it asks about an application wanting to install itself. Aside from that I haven't had too many Vista related issues.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Tator_Totts:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Actually my Vista 64 bit crashes less than XP did. It is a more Stable platform. It is just the driver support is not good and the performance of framte rate is less than XP. Some software might not work.

The security features are a pain in the @$$.
Have to disable UAC and always install programs out of the default Program File dir.

I would not recommend right now to go to Vista for frame rate performance. I went to Vista because I knew that the driver support would not be great and I like to tweak around and fix things. I wanted to move to 64 bit and buying XP 64 bit did not seem the right choice to make. Rather by a new OS.

Vista is a stable platform when it comes to crashes and BSOD. Performance no it lags behind XP. 32 bit is easier with drivers and installs.

Games are starting to hit the memory wall and they will have to go to 64 bit soon. I just jump in earlier and deal with the problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1! Vista is FAR more stable, the only times I've seen it less reliable than xp is when someone who doesn't know what they are doing has porked it themselves. The only reason I see for NOT switching to vista now is that some of the less technical would probably be better off with the devil they know and wait for us techies to know enough about it to help them when they do switch. As for waiting for SP1 before switching, no need, Vista great right now, just get your windows updates, there's your servicepack folks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BaldieJr
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
haha microsoft just keeps on fleecing you all.

all i can say is the future of m$ depends on oleg in my house. if the next game is truly good i'll upgrade. otherwise, i'm putting freebsd on my next machine and my game-playing days are over.