PDA

View Full Version : PoE made of graphene?

blazefp
08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene) is a new finding that earned the nobel prize of physics to two guys in 2010.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>It's
<LI>200 times harder than steel (that's harder than carbon fiber)
<LI>lighter than carbon fiber
<LI>it can have atomic thickness
<LI>it's a superconductor at normal pressures and temperatures (it can go up to 500GHz unlike silica that can't even reach 5GHz)
<LI>it's extremely resistant to shock and prolonged strength (I know there's a word for "prolonged strength" but I can't remember sry.)
<LI>it can be turned in to very efficient solar cells
<LI>it's very resistant to heat
<LI>it's even resistant to some bacteria like E-coli
[/list]

and the list goes on and on and on...

My question is, did we finally found "the" material? Not just some material, but an ultimate form of a material like that of what the apple is made of.

Krayus Korianis
08-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Increased resistance to pressure is what you're going for.

Probably did.

Inorganic9_2
08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Graphene? I doubt it. Graphene is a single sheet of graphite-type carbon, so there's no way it's that strong.

Try carbon nanotubes instead. Highly conductive, and can be made into stronger structures. It can also be used as a solar cell in combination with titanium dioxide nanostructures...or perhaps when doped with gold... (I've forgotten that part)

(also, how do you measure pressure/temperature in Hz? :s)

GunnarGunderson
08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
but what colour is it? Further more, Leonardo said the apple is fabricated from materials that shouldn't exist, which is open to interpretation I suppose

chizzy12
08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
the PoE doesn't exist...whats wrong with you people?

blazefp
08-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
Graphene? I doubt it. Graphene is a single sheet of graphite-type carbon, so there's no way it's that strong.

Try carbon nanotubes instead. Highly conductive, and can be made into stronger structures. It can also be used as a solar cell in combination with titanium dioxide nanostructures...or perhaps when doped with gold... (I've forgotten that part)

Well wikipedia isn't the best source but I've seen this already in a scientific magazine so I suppose it is true.

About that thing of Hz, most superconductor are only superconductors at low temperatures. Don't ask me why, I just read/heard (I can't remember) this

blazefp
08-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by chizzy12:

--' every object in AC universe is at least based on a real object

misterB2001
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by chizzy12:
the PoE doesn't exist...whats wrong with you people? that's what the Templars would have you believe!

LightRey
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by blazefp:
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene) is a new finding that earned the nobel prize of physics to two guys in 2010.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>It's
<LI>it's a superconductor at normal pressures and temperatures (it can go up to 500GHz unlike silica that can't even reach 5GHz)
<LI>it's extremely resistant to shock and prolonged strength (I know there's a word for "prolonged strength" but I can't remember sry.)
[/list]

My question is, did we finally found "the" material? Not just some material, but an ultimate form of a material like that of what the apple is made of.
It also only has the properties you describe on a molecular level. It's literally as thin as the diameter of a carbon atom. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but this can't be the material.

blazefp
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazefp:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>It's
[/list]

It also only has the properties you describe on a molecular level. It's literally as thin as the diameter of a carbon atom. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but this can't be the material. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
At least I tried right? xD

Calvarok
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
The apple is made from things that humans don't understand by 2012, so obviously no.

LightRey
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
At least I tried right? xD
Don't worry about it, it's still very interesting stuff. I actually went to a presentation about this at the university I go to last year.

blazefp
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Hmm but it has that strength and weight only in a molecular size too? I was thinking about Alta´r's armor.

RzaRecta357
08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
They aren't at least BASED on a real object. You're plucking that from thin air.

AC1 and 2 both have characters that don't actually exist. So does Revelations with his new girlfriend.

The apple of eden that was plucked by Adam. That's what the apple is based on.

The Metal?

Don't bother trying to figure it out. It's just like Wolverine but without a name. A fancy metal that doesn't really exist. Just in the AC universe they don't give it a name.

LightRey
08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Hmm but it has that strength and weight only in a molecular size too? I was thinking about Alta´r's armor.
The problem is that graphene can by definition only be one layer thick. It basically loses all of its special properties if it's stacked. Stacks of graphene are called graphite, which is basically a pencil. In fact, if you draw something with a pencil you've probably made some graphene here and there.

blazefp
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Ok theory screwed

naran6142
08-30-2011, 08:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

Well wikipedia isn't the best source but I've seen this already in a scientific magazine so I suppose it is true.

About that thing of Hz, most superconductor are only superconductors at low temperatures. Don't ask me why, I just read/heard (I can't remember) this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well at low temperatures the atoms are closer together, i imagine it has something to do with that.

but im no expert

whats more interesting than what the apple is made of, is how it works

Samuel032593
08-30-2011, 09:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chizzy12:

--' every object in AC universe is at least based on a real object </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might be based on a real object or theory, but it IS a work of fiction, the apple might be a theoretical object, but I doubt it works in the same context, if it really does exist at any rate.

Panfaun
08-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Oh, I saw a special on this one time. The apple and everything that's made to be super special in this seems to be made out of unobtainium. Lol, not the stuff form Avatar the movie, but the joke in that it's probably impossible and the science it kind of uses is half at best.

And tbh, I know Altair made that armor really awesome and all, but well, he had the apple, but for right now, doesn't seem to possess the tools necessary to build them. I jsut remembered how Ezio left it behind in Monterriggioni, lol.

@Lightrey: can you make the individual sheets then make the armor? Or will I be better off scribbling with my pencil? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

Inorganic9_2
08-31-2011, 01:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazefp:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>It's
[/list]

It also only has the properties you describe on a molecular level. It's literally as thin as the diameter of a carbon atom. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but this can't be the material. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was trying to say :P

Also, my question about measuring temperature in Hz hasn't been answered (seeing as Hz is a unit of frequency)

Superconductivity is something to do with formation of Cooper pairs, not the atoms being closer together. Not something I've read up on yet (I have far too much other stuff to read up on!)

Maybe the power mechanism for the Apple is a CdSe sensitised titanium nanotube array? ; ) (though you wouldn't believe how difficult nanostructures are to make -__-)

LightRey
08-31-2011, 02:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>It's
[/list]

That's what I was trying to say :P

Also, my question about measuring temperature in Hz hasn't been answered (seeing as Hz is a unit of frequency)

Superconductivity is something to do with formation of Cooper pairs, not the atoms being closer together. Not something I've read up on yet (I have far too much other stuff to read up on!)

Maybe the power mechanism for the Apple is a CdSe sensitised titanium nanotube array? ; ) (though you wouldn't believe how difficult nanostructures are to make -__-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing it's possible "measure" the temperature of atoms by the frequency in which they're shaking, though I can't really be sure of this tbh.

The nanotubes are an interesting idea, though I'm not sure what use the apple would have for superconductivity.

Btw, technically it's not necessarily that hard to make nanostructures. The difficulty lies most in figuring it out, but after that it's often as simple as dipping something in a solution and then putting it in an oven.

blazefp
08-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Wow my thread is now uncontrolled. Everything you're saying is beyond me

LightRey
08-31-2011, 05:05 AM
xD
It's not that complicated really. Most of the things we're talking about are mostly hard to grasp because you need to know what we're referring to.

The power for the apple could really come from anything. First we would need to establish whether it has an internal or external power source.
The fact that it seems to take a toll on the one using it suggests an external power source, which would be the wielder.

blazefp
08-31-2011, 05:35 AM
xD
It's not that complicated really. Most of the things we're talking about are mostly hard to grasp because you need to know what we're referring to.

The power for the apple could really come from anything. First we would need to establish whether it has an internal or external power source.
The fact that it seems to take a toll on the one using it suggests an external power source, which would be the wielder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm so we can't be sure of anything until new answers. Seems assassin's creed enough to me
I hope Ubi won't come out with "the energy of the apple comes from the karma of the wielder".
We'll probably never gonna know this, it seems too complicated for them to explain. Or I'm just too lazy to think about it a bit right now.

LightRey
08-31-2011, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
xD

The fact that it seems to take a toll on the one using it suggests an external power source, which would be the wielder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm so we can't be sure of anything until new answers. Seems assassin's creed enough to me
I hope Ubi won't come out with "the energy of the apple comes from the karma of the wielder".
We'll probably never gonna know this, it seems too complicated for them to explain. Or I'm just too lazy to think about it a bit right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If they do explain it with karma, I would like some scientific (fictional) explanation for karma itself as well.

Inorganic9_2
08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Btw, technically it's not necessarily that hard to make nanostructures. The difficulty lies most in figuring it out, but after that it's often as simple as dipping something in a solution and then putting it in an oven.

I really really wish that were true... I've been trying to make an ordered array of ZnO nanorods for weeks now. Papers lie, I swear http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I doubt the Apple would have much use for superconductivity, except maybe increasing efficiency by reducing heat loss or something? Who knows...maybe TWCB have found something we could do with right now; a room temperature superconductor!

LightRey
08-31-2011, 10:17 AM

I really really wish that were true... I've been trying to make an ordered array of ZnO nanorods for weeks now. Papers lie, I swear http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I doubt the Apple would have much use for superconductivity, except maybe increasing efficiency by reducing heat loss or something? Who knows...maybe TWCB have found something we could do with right now; a room temperature superconductor! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well of course you can't use a regular oven, but really, it's usually as easy as I said. Other forms of nano structures can also be made by using viruses and/or bacteria, which is as easy as implanting some DNA or RNA into some of them and just letting them do their thing.

Inorganic9_2
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Of course; I've been using a tube furnace for most of it, though aqueous methods only require about 90degrees, so you could do those in a regular oven. Reasonable results as well. So much waiting around though.

Cercatrova
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
it's a superconductor at normal pressures and temperatures (it can go up to 500GHz unlike silica that can't even reach 5GHz)

I think this is referring to recent developments of graphene transistors and ICs. The transistors can switch at 100ghz and beyond and being able to do so at much higher temperatures than silicon can.
If you are so inclined you can read this technical article (http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-ibm-graphene-transistor.html) describing what IBM has found. But needless to say it's unlikely that any POE is made of Graphene.

Jjfd99
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I think it very well could be.

LightRey
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Jjfd99:
I think it very well could be.
Did you just ignore every single post in the thread except the first one?

blazefp
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Cercatrova:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it's a superconductor at normal pressures and temperatures (it can go up to 500GHz unlike silica that can't even reach 5GHz)

I think this is referring to recent developments of graphene transistors and ICs. The transistors can switch at 100ghz and beyond and being able to do so at much higher temperatures than silicon can.
If you are so inclined you can read this technical article (http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-ibm-graphene-transistor.html) describing what IBM has found. But needless to say it's unlikely that any POE is made of Graphene. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was probably what I meant xD