PDA

View Full Version : recommended settings for Leningrad campaign?

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I'd like to set up a technically and historically realistic Soviet fighter Leningrad campaign,starting in 1942 in a P-40E. What setting should I use in conf.ini?

I don't have any historical data so I'd welcome your suggestions. For instance, how often did a Soviet fighter pilot fly in Leningrad - once in 5 or 10 days? What about the CampaignAI setting; was there a big difference between the two sides' pilot skill levels? Etc.

I have an Ahtlon 1900+ with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 3, so I can't go overboard with the object density
parameters.

Ciril Rozic

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I'd like to set up a technically and historically realistic Soviet fighter Leningrad campaign,starting in 1942 in a P-40E. What setting should I use in conf.ini?

I don't have any historical data so I'd welcome your suggestions. For instance, how often did a Soviet fighter pilot fly in Leningrad - once in 5 or 10 days? What about the CampaignAI setting; was there a big difference between the two sides' pilot skill levels? Etc.

I have an Ahtlon 1900+ with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 3, so I can't go overboard with the object density
parameters.

Ciril Rozic

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Default setting is good in my opinion.

AI changes automitically according to history, so don't need to fix them.

Set CampaignLength = Long for your convenience. (Thou default is 'Very Long' and it fits in historical frequencies.)

But I think your VGA can't handle it well.
Upgrade it to GF4ti4200 ~ 4600 or Radeon 9500~9800

Finland map is large and there are so many objects and forest. Large forests cut your FPS in half especially in GF3. (I upgraded from GF3ti to GF4ti and it's satisfying.)

================================================== ======
Athlon XP 2500+@3200+ (200*11)
DDR 512M (FSB 200)
GeForce4ti4200
MCP-T SoundStorm
7200rpm 60G HDD

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply, TooCool.

Looking at my DGen.log files, it seems the Soviet pilots of 1942 were of relaitvely good quality compared to the Germans. Then again I could be mistaken, because DGen generates only a few flights (a couple of dozen pilots) and it's hard to tell.

I'll see what I can do about upgrading, given my limited financial resources.

In the meantime, my system is handling the campaign relatively well, although I can't run it in Perfect mode. I get about 30 fps in dogfights and about 20 fps on the ground before takeoff.

Mind you, I've seen a siginificant drop in frame rates since v1.1b. I had about 60 fps in quick missions with v1.0. I got 50 with v1.1b and 42 with v1.1. Also strange is that the frame rate vary less with v1.1b and v1.1. 42 FPS is also what I get in the Leningrad campaign once my group gets airborne (no enemy around yet). Frame rates in external views are also different. (I am using the built-in FPS-meter)

Ciril

Ciril

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 07:38 PM
I thought this thread would be flooded with replies from the knowledgable. No?

TooCool's post is welcome, but I was hoping for bits of historical data or insights that would support (or contradict) the default settings. For instance, it seems the Leningrad pilot flew quite often in spite the less than desirable supply situation. And were local Soviet pilots really that good?

Ciril