PDA

View Full Version : Stutter and HD hits

Thog-
11-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Ok, I've loved the IL2 series since it started, but one consistant problem I've noticed that makes it frustrating enough to give up on is the stutter effect.

I'm talking about the sudden pause or slowdown at various points in the game, usually when it seems to be loading a new animation or sound (or something), that lasts for anywhere from a few seconds to half a minute. In the meantime, the game often continues, so when you suddenly have control again you're nose-down and about to make a crater. Worse, the game doesn't snap back to full response. It takes another 5 to 20 seconds of stuttering to come back.

Sometimes this is minor, often it's major. It's worse when it encounters a new plane/vehicle/texture, which makes merge combat impossible. Basically you have to play a mission at least once before you can -play- the mission.

Before anyone asks, I've seen this in 4 machines over the last 3+ years, on various OS's, video cards and CPU's, with 256meg and 512meg. It may be hardward specific, but if so, I'd really like to know what it is.

If this is a system setting of some sort, or a memory setting, or a game setting, I'd like to know. If anyone has anything useful on how to avoid this, I'd like to know. I'm really, really tired of this problem, and it's gotten to the point where I'm having a hard time enjoying the game. It's like playing online AH/WB and losing connection every minute or so.

Thog-
11-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Ok, I've loved the IL2 series since it started, but one consistant problem I've noticed that makes it frustrating enough to give up on is the stutter effect.

I'm talking about the sudden pause or slowdown at various points in the game, usually when it seems to be loading a new animation or sound (or something), that lasts for anywhere from a few seconds to half a minute. In the meantime, the game often continues, so when you suddenly have control again you're nose-down and about to make a crater. Worse, the game doesn't snap back to full response. It takes another 5 to 20 seconds of stuttering to come back.

Sometimes this is minor, often it's major. It's worse when it encounters a new plane/vehicle/texture, which makes merge combat impossible. Basically you have to play a mission at least once before you can -play- the mission.

Before anyone asks, I've seen this in 4 machines over the last 3+ years, on various OS's, video cards and CPU's, with 256meg and 512meg. It may be hardward specific, but if so, I'd really like to know what it is.

If this is a system setting of some sort, or a memory setting, or a game setting, I'd like to know. If anyone has anything useful on how to avoid this, I'd like to know. I'm really, really tired of this problem, and it's gotten to the point where I'm having a hard time enjoying the game. It's like playing online AH/WB and losing connection every minute or so.

clint-ruin
11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
In some ways it's an effect of doing a flightsim on a 3d card, OpenGL itself tends to make the problem more severe again, and that PF is very memory hungry.

Here's a list of things to check. Just a short list, you'd best post in the tech support forum and let the people there take a look at your system.

A) turn on texture compression. Turning this on can as good as halve the memory use in some maps. This option is in pfsetup.exe [or il2setup.exe if you did the full fbaeppf install]. Click the tab called "video", chose "custom" settings, and try s3tc texture compression. Almost all modern day 3d cards support this format, and it really helps out.

B) Turn down the mipmap level of textures. Set pfsetup.exe to use Bilinear texturing, and also make sure that your graphics cards own driver is set to use 'application specified' mipmap and texture settings. If you want to crank this down all the way, Nvidia and ATI drivers have options to set this to 'quality' or 'performance'. 'performance' will reduce the memory used by mip levels of textures by a pretty drastic amount the further away any object is. You may not even notice. Perfect mode water only seems to interact well with 'quality' settings however. By lowering the texture level you reduce texture swapping between the hard disk swap file, main memory, and the video cards memory - this can cause pauses for up to a few seconds at a time if PF has to re-cache every single texture while inside the game.

c) optimise your system. There's a bunch of programs that can help boost your systems performance before you start the game. If Windows is doing less in the background, the more memory and CPU time there is for PF. Too much to go into here, but the you'll find a topic about FS Autostart in the tech support forum here : http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=1481001542 - one of the more straightforward things you can do to clean up your system. PF is actually big enough for file fragmentation to have an effect on performance even with NTFS and a large, high cache hard drive. Defragment your hard disk - the commercial program Diskkeeper is very good at this, but the default windows one is better than nothing. It's under Accessories > System Tools in the main program list

More RAM always helps too. Many people have only fully, completely and utterly cured this problem [especially in 'heavy activity' campaigns] by upgrading to as much as 2GB of memory.

Weather_Man
11-24-2004, 05:44 PM
It's simply a lack of RAM. If you are using the pagefile, which creates the stutter, then the only solution is more RAM. PF + Windows will use 800-900mb memory. 1GB RAM seems to be the minimum for smooth gameplay.

Fennec_P
11-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Get the patch too, if you have PF.

Out of the box, everything causes stutter, especially flak. The patch eliminated it almost completely for me, and I just have the 512mb. Less even than I got in FB.

SkyChimp
11-24-2004, 08:12 PM
I have FAR worse stutters and freezes now that the patch is out. I didn't have any before the patch.

clint-ruin
11-24-2004, 08:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
I have FAR worse stutters and freezes now that the patch is out. I didn't have any before the patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg mentioned something about them having played with the caching in Perfect to increase performance. From the looks of things some people are having problems with this [missing textures and stutters] and others are seeing an improvement.

How much memory do you have Skychimp?

AjK_190
11-25-2004, 01:04 AM
When playing offline I've found it useful to unplug my ADSL and shut down the firewall and antivirus software. You may have tried this already but if you haven't it could be worth a try.

BR,

Ajk

Tobus75
11-25-2004, 01:25 AM
I have found that the IL2 series has serious problems in combi with my virusscanner McAfee. Stutters are almost good as gone (I have 512 MB ram, upgrading to 1GB this weekend) when I configured McAfee to overlook my IL2FB+AEP+PF directory when scanning.

FI-finbar1
11-25-2004, 04:35 AM
I use a free programme called "end-it-all" when playing off-line.It used to be widely available but is now a bit harder to find.It's kind of a default part of playing Lock-On.Must confess I have not benched whether it helps on PF but it sure does on Lock-On

Thog-
11-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I'll try out the graphics settings. Getting more RAM is not feasible at the moment (though hopefully by Feb). I do have the patch, and I do turn off my anti-virus software when I play.

Thanks again.
Thog

Thog-
11-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Clint-Ruin, I tried the changes you suggested, and it worked great. Much thanks!

Thog

t0n.
11-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I find the game practically unplayable with the stutters since the patch and I have 2GB of RAM. Whatever went wrong for me has gone wrong properly, and I'm just praying that the next installment from 1C (or Nvidia) sorts it all out.

The stutters, for me at least, don't seem to be tied to graphic settings, object density, or flak. They just occur happily at random regardless.

clint-ruin
11-25-2004, 07:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t0n.:
I find the game practically unplayable with the stutters since the patch and I have 2GB of RAM. Whatever went wrong for me has gone wrong properly, and I'm just praying that the next installment from 1C (or Nvidia) sorts it all out.

The stutters, for me at least, don't seem to be tied to graphic settings, object density, or flak. They just occur happily at random regardless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

Have you tried changing your computers BIOS settings so far? Especially your machines AGP apeture size, but other things like overclocking, bad memory timings, and certain "high performance" AGP options can actually cause the game to slow down and stutter. Have you taken a look at the stickied posts in the tech support forum ?

Glad to hear it worked out for you Thog, too.