PDA

View Full Version : OT :BOBwov 2.04 Patch released

SeaFireLIV
07-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Patch released for BOBwov.

This isn`t some quick-fix patch. It`s quite a major overhaul in stabilty and appears to cure just about all stablity problems (except iof you`re majorly overclocked on CPU - at least with me). No more CTDs.

Also, many sound, small graphic, flight and other enhancements have been made.

If you wanted to try BOB, but were put off by CTDs, controller configs, etc I suggest you give it a new try now.

One of the things I really like is I can now map my hatswitch just like IL2, and I don`t hear my bullets hitting the enmy plane any more...

joeap
07-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Excellent news Seafire, if I had some extra time would not mind trying BoB...in any case good news for those who've put up with all the issues you mentioned.

danjama
07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
tHANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW, ILL GO UPDATE IT NOW.

Ernst_Rohr
07-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I will have to dust off my copy and take another look. I had the original BoB, and bought the new one out of nostalgia, but was really annoyed at the number of CTD's I kept getting. I couldnt complete a days ops without crashing out!

If they got all that fixed, I will take another stab at it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feathered_IV
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Nice! There are copies floating around my local EB store for only Au$20. MIght have to check it out.

I did buy it a couple of weeks ago. But exchanged it a couple of hours later for Oblivion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif (quite good fun though actually) Maybe this time will be for keeps..

jamesdietz
07-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Totally agree...just downloaded it this morning and gave it a run or two for fun.Quite an improvemnt in every way!I've been keeping up with nearly every small patch to come along with this sim & this seems to include the best of all of them & more.These two sims are different in look & feel , but this one is worth trying again while waiting for SoV!!!

ytareh
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Well I hated BOB1 and BOB2 was so unstable even up to 2.03 though it showed some promise in some areas-that splash screen pic of the He111s over the sea is SO good...
This is its last chance!!!

alphalvr
07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
i got it but the damage model stops me playing it (shoot till wing drops off) it annoyed me afer my 3rd kill. Have they improved that by any chance as its the main thing stopping me playing.

i do like the sound (hollywood dogfights)
i did like slipping my canopy open as well and the sound of the wind

i dont like the forests and the silly 3rd person view when you crash (especilly on the ground, the plane just looks silly and totally unreal )

MadBadVlad
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
This will be its last chance for me too. It came off the hard drive months back due to the constant CTDs. If this patch doesn't fix them its off to Ebay

MLudner
07-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought the FM was ludicrous and got even worse after the previous patches so that the aircraft became unflyable for me .... 109 flying in a constant right roll; no matter what I did with trim, prop pitch et cetera I had to hold the stick like I was making a fast left roll. Nose bobs up and down uncontrollably at low speeds making landing a real joy.

woofiedog
07-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Thank's for the Head's Up! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ytareh
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
This patch made no difference whatsoever for me .This game appears to me to be a total P.O.S (not a term I would use lightly!)
My symptoms are text corruption and being forced to ghastly(!)minimum resolution after starting a mission.....
Anybody wants to buy BOB2 WOV send me a pm -its complete with the Documentary DVD -actually the best one Ive seen on the Campaign-and the map/keycard.I think that says it all really....!!!
We really dont appreciate our own game enough...
I spent(wasted?!) more than an afternoon a few weeks ago trying to set up BOB2 and Over Flanders Fields...The latter wouldnt work with large text dpi settings-how the heck is the average punter meant to know that !!!!????It took hours of trawling through forum posts to find that out....Theres obviously some similarly endearing "quirk" with BOB2 WOV but I really cant be bothered at this stage....Ive already played with DEP settings (yeah -everybody knows about them right!?and also BOB2 is meant to have graphics settings at "Let Application Decide Preference"-never come across that before...

MadBadVlad
07-20-2006, 01:53 PM
What is this DEP tweak I keep hearing about? It sounds pretty crucial to a CTD free install of the new patch. If getting the patch installed involves a load of config tweaking nonsense to get the game working I am not going to bother - too much hassle/too little time

SeaFireLIV
07-20-2006, 03:13 PM
This DEP thing I have no idea about. I just ran the 2.04 on a new install.

As for ytareh, I have no idea. You certainly tried and judged on 2.04 quickly. The symptoms sound peculiar.

For me, it`s the most robust system i`ve ever come across.

ytareh
07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
DEP=Data Execution Prevention -stops background services /programs from bothering BOB2...(well its supposed to)

SeaFire I spent a whole afternoon at 2.03 BOB2 trying to get it to work...heard of the expression not going to throw good money after bad -well replace money with time...Its a shame as the cockpits and some of the sounds are nice as are the splashscreens....like to get into the RTS thingy too but cant fathom it...

faustnik
07-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I tried the BoB2 sim, also CFS3 and Strike Fighters. Every other sim seems like garbage after flying IL-2. Not picking here, just being honest. I wanted to like the other stuff.

danjama
07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by faustnik:
I tried the BoB2 sim, also CFS3 and Strike Fighters. Every other sim seems like garbage after flying IL-2. Not picking here, just being honest. I wanted to like the other stuff.

so true http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

But i would say BoB2 is the only one i do like from time to time.

SeaFireLIV
07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
DEP=Data Execution Prevention -stops background services /programs from bothering BOB2...(well its supposed to)

SeaFire I spent a whole afternoon at 2.03 BOB2 trying to get it to work...heard of the expression not going to throw good money after bad -well replace money with time...Its a shame as the cockpits and some of the sounds are nice as are the splashscreens....like to get into the RTS thingy too but cant fathom it...

I understand your frustration. I left BOB for a while too, but I`ve been following the forums and these guys have not given it up and I respect their tenacity.

You mention 2.03, have you actually downloaded 2.04? It needs to go on a fresh install. Maybe you should also run the utilty that shuts down background processes( I didn`t have to, but maybe you do).

Old_Canuck
07-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

I understand your frustration. I left BOB for a while too, but I`ve been following the forums and these guys have not given it up and I respect their tenacity.

You mention 2.03, have you actually downloaded 2.04? It needs to go on a fresh install. Maybe you should also run the utilty that shuts down background processes( I didn`t have to, but maybe you do). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SeafireIV, is it TIR compatible?

ytareh
07-20-2006, 06:56 PM
OK so I got it going ...heres what the problem was....there was a box near the top of the graphics settings screen to select your resolution -there are two ,one for the campaign map and the other for normal in game(3d) use.The latter was "hidden" in a box unless you decided to use a different res to your desktop.But it seemed it was defaulted to 640x480 or some such-so it wasnt really the same as your desktop...
Also Track IR has to be activated in game in the Advanced settings section but cant be unless already running...
Anyway maybe the hours I spent trying to find this out might help someone...

danjama
07-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

You mention 2.03, have you actually downloaded 2.04? It needs to go on a fresh install. Maybe you should also run the utilty that shuts down background processes( I didn`t have to, but maybe you do). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SeafireIV, is it TIR compatible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its TIR and 6DOF compatible

leitmotiv
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
The trouble with controls did it for me last fall---combined with CTDs after the first patch! I didn't have a CTD problem before. I know the Shockwave people are a good bunch (have been very happy with their WINGS OF POWER series), but all the control mapping screw ups really infuriated me, and they just ignored those who had trouble---never a good sign from a company. I decided to give their BOB a second chance. Glad to see the patch helped.

Xiolablu3
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
OK so I got it going ...heres what the problem was....there was a box near the top of the graphics settings screen to select your resolution -there are two ,one for the campaign map and the other for normal in game(3d) use.The latter was "hidden" in a box unless you decided to use a different res to your desktop.But it seemed it was defaulted to 640x480 or some such-so it wasnt really the same as your desktop...
Also Track IR has to be activated in game in the Advanced settings section but cant be unless already running...
Anyway maybe the hours I spent trying to find this out might help someone...

How computer literate are you mate?

Whats your graphics card? Have you upgraded your drivers recently?

Being a newer game, BOB2 is likely to need newer graphics drivers than Il2/FB

ytareh
07-21-2006, 04:21 AM
I would consider myself 'fairly' computer literate -if my description seemed a bit over simple its because I want others who might have a similar problem to clearly understand the fix(and Im a teacher...!)
Running an X800XT PE with an Opty 146 @ 2.7 (3dMark05 6611 just recently) so dont think hardware is the problem...

jamesdietz
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Here's a very quick review after flying several quick missions.Much has improved,esp. tracers,sound and other features such as FPS & CTDs etc.The Game really does has some beautiful moments.On the negative side ( for me) the AI has improved , but it still doesn't match what FB/PF .In FB one can believe the ac have real pilots & to a degree are flying believable manevers in dogfights,but as improved as boB WoV AI is the AI aircraft still have a sort of regimented way of flying,that is difficult to describe , but parade ground-like comes close.Maybe this is merely the downside of having sooooooo many aircraft in the sky at one time ( really astounding numbers actually.The other thing about the AI fighters is the jerky sudden manuevers they seem capable of that seem thru the gunsight to be very irratic,& not believable ( I've noticed the same sort of thing in Over Flanders Field , a WW-1 fight sim, so maybe its a function of the game engine?)Finally the modeling of all the aircraft in terms of lighting on surfaces is improved as well(actual aircraft detailing is really quite good as viewed in screenshots) but still no where near as arresting as in FB/PF.It is getting better, & they are working on this as well as individual squadron markings ( that was supposed to go in this patch, but didn't quite make the cut...)
Summing up it is better in almost every way , but my initial statements in this thread are still in the main what I feel now:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?s=400102&a=tpc&m=7701049593&f=23110283

SeaFireLIV
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, of course, it still isn`t going to be an FB beater ( I hope everyone realises that). No way would I be dropping IL2 for this. BOBwov is more like an offline stand-in, if I want to fly over a proper England defending in a proper dynamic Campaign.

IL2 still has the clarity and imho best dogfighting AI (even if it can see thru clouds). IL2`s aircarft are still amazing to look at and there`s all the threatres, skins (including pilot`s), etc.

But if you want an engrossing fully dynamic campaign that isn`t going CTD every 2 seconds then this is great. I still have doubts (from reading between the lines) whether Oleg will manage a dynamic campaign as immersive as 5 year old wov`s.

But no doubt the aircraft will be spectaculer.

jamesdietz
07-21-2006, 11:25 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Slightly OT: I just wanted to add that the 2.04 patch for WoV has improved the appearence of tracers greatly, but in my experience the BEST looking tracers anywhere are to be seen while flying the Macchi MC-200 in this sim (FB/PF) they are absolutely great!</span>

SeaFireLIV
07-21-2006, 06:42 PM
OK, a couple of views that I MUST show from 2.04...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/shot_000.jpg
I, in the Hurri, and a Spit, attack. (Stop showing off, Spitty!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/nearbomber.jpg
Seeing HE111s...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/underhurri.jpg

Flying below them is slightly safer. Maybe...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/highsmoke.jpg
Something I REALLY like.
I`m at 3000+ feet here, looking UP at smoke!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/tallsmoke.jpg

The billowing smoke from earth. Apparently, Jerry had a direct hit on something really important. I had a small dogfight in this smoke, but lost him. First time I`ve seen smoke that looks like something from reality and actually dogfight in it!

Anyway, just a couple of things I`ve seen...

leitmotiv
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Thank you very much, jamesdietz and SeaFireLIV. When I was using BOBWOV, my impressions fell exactly in line with what you two described. The early version I last used last fall at first dazzled me because of the real English countryside. I was stunned by the effects of a 110 fighter-bomber raid on an airbase (dirt flying, smoke columns, late afternoon atmospheric effects---I was captivated). Furthermore, I was using a 110C, my favorite B of Brit mount, and wildly fighting with swarms of fighters. I was sold. Later, while trying Hurricanes vs. bombers, I was stunned by the enormous numbers of aircraft in the sky, by the ripping rasping sound of Merlins, and by the huge German formations. I was further impressed by the fidelity to period tactics---my Hurricane flight clung to me like disciplined bees, and, if I forgot myself and maneuvered abruptly, I caused an aerial pile-up with the entire flight crashing into me and each other. This absolutely beat the pants off IL-2 of any permutation. What impressed me much less was the lack of definition of the aircraft. You had to be at near-point-blank range to discern your target clearly. I thought the RAF aircraft tended to disappear against land far too easily---far easier than Maddox equivalents. I thought that, perhaps, German bomber return fire was way too ineffective. But, in its own way, I thought it had elements which made it far more immersive, historical, and satisfying to a B of Brit buff than what we had with IL-2. By this I refer to the English landscape (including 1940's London "smog"---this detail really pleased me), the historical tactics, the historical call-signs, and the problem of operating in a "target rich" but definitely hazardous environment. The control problems put me off at that time and the CTDs. I am ready to give it another try as soon as I get my new copy.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by faustnik:

Could not agree more. I really really wanted to like BoB2 and CFS3. I even tried several times to give it another go, but they were still **** compared to this sim. Perhaps I will try this new patch out while Im waiting for SoM (4.06). The only current sim that I like other then FB is Lomac and that wasnt until FC came out.

Old_Canuck
07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by danjama:

its TIR and 6DOF compatible

TY S~

ImpStarDuece
07-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Reinstalled it, downloaded the patch and just tried it out on my laptop.

Result:

30 seconds of play and then it CTD.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Might try it on my PC at home, but I don't know if its worth the hastle.