PDA

View Full Version : 3D Glasses - any good?

Insuber
11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have feedbacks on the quality of the e-dimensional 3D goggles with Il2-1946? Does they give good results ? And what about the 3D graphic drivers, are they updated/adapted to the more recent nVidia video cards ?

Thx for the answers,
Insuber

Insuber
11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have feedbacks on the quality of the e-dimensional 3D goggles with Il2-1946? Does they give good results ? And what about the 3D graphic drivers, are they updated/adapted to the more recent nVidia video cards ?

Thx for the answers,
Insuber

foxfire1941
11-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I tried these out a few years ago and did not like the effect, I had to wear them over glasses and that made it cumbersome. I found track IR and never looked back.

Today, if they were any good I think a lot of guys would be using them.

So if anyone is using them today maybe they can post their opinion of them.

TX-EcoDragon
11-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Most people I know couldn't stand to wear them for more than a few minutes. . .I'm in that camp as well.

So my answer would be "no".

squareusr
11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
In a flight sim you only effectively have two layers of depth, "infinite" and "cockpit". 3d glasses would be rather underwhelming with a scene like that.

Also, the effect of 3D glasses all that work with a fixed monitor (in contrast to VR goggles) relies on the head of the viewer staying steady and level. This rules out the use of a TrackIR, which is _much_ more important than a little 3D effect. In flight sims, the big problem is that the monitor is so small - the fact that it is flat, on the other hand, is only a minor nuisance (it even frees us from the need to constantly refocus when looking at the outside world, then at the cockpit gauges and then back at the outside world).

Stiletto-
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I am pretty sure that with the glasses blacking out each eye with every refresh of the monitor screen.. You will effectivley cut your frame rates in half because 1/2 of the scene is going to one eye and then 1/2 to the other. It worked great for 3-D missile command on my Sega Mastersystem back in 1987 though!

http://www.sega-16.com/Features/Product%20Reviews/Power%20Base%20Converter/3d_glasses.jpg

Divine-Wind
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I have never used 3D goggles, but as I wear glasses, any goggles or glasses I have to stick over what I'm already wearing is just a real pain to use.

Which is why I'm looking to get that TrackIR headset clip.

stalkervision
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
beer goggles.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Blood_Splat
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I tried 3d glasses and didn't like them. I love TrackIR except for those early days when I would leave the house with a dot on my forehead. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

WTE_Galway
11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Il2 apparently doesn't work that reliably with the 3D glasses either ... some people reported no problems and others said it would not work at all.

Also bare in mind you need a CRT screen, they do not work at all with LCD's.

Hoatee
11-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Ahem!

IL2 Sturmovik works excellently with stereo3D glasses. There are two options, an old and a new.

If you have an old(ish) rig eg Windoze XP, a pentium 4, nvidia card connected to a CRT display, edimensional's glasses are excellent. The only problem I have with them is with viewing aircraft at a distance (specks are apparently 2d objects which don't draw correctly at depth). The version of my drivers is 162.50 and I've left them at that.

On newer machines with nvidia cards under Vista, edimensional glasses won't work because nvidia were idiotic enough to drop support for so-called 'legacy' products in their stereo drivers. However, a pair of vuzix VR920 glasses (actaully it's a headmounted display) will give you excellent stereo 3D in 24bit colour AND, most importantly, a/c at a distance draw correctly.

The only drawback (and it's by no means a serious one) is that vuzix's stereo drivers don't allow users to change stereo depth settings the way nvidia's drivers do. On the other hand, vuzix HMD's are brand spanking new products and nvidia's (Vista) stereo drivers only support either anaglyph glasses or their very own zalman monitors - that is some way exclusive policy that they have adopted.

Playing a game in stereo 3D is much better than in 2D flat, it's about a big a step up from casstte to cd or VHS to DVD, you won't want to go back.