PDA

View Full Version : Complete BOB or move to next scenario

Dtools4fools
06-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Wonder what you guys would prefer.

Once BoB is out would you prefer

- to have another add-on of the same time period and same scenario; this means a 'BoB patch' to complete this particular scenario.

This would basically mean adding more planes as flyable for the same time frame. No Focke-Wulfs and Typhoons but Do-17, Defiant, Wellington, Hampden, maybe float planes for both sides for sea rescue scenarios.

or

- Move on to next scenario, be it FW and Typhoons over the channel or be it North Africa.

XyZspineZyX
06-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Who told you that BoB would need to be "Completed" when the sim ships? Who told you that it wouldn't be a "full" BoB from day 1?

You're assuming that they do an incomplete Battle of Britain scenario. I think you can safely bet that the intention is to actually complete the Battle of Britain, not just do a slap-up job and then skip around to something else, and then backtrack and complete the BoB

WOLFMondo
06-02-2007, 07:21 AM
No scenario will ever be complete. There will always be something missing. As long as the core combatents are there then no one can really complain.

I'd love to see a North Africa or 1941-43 channel front addon though or even an early Pacific or flying Tigers type addon.

XyZspineZyX
06-02-2007, 07:23 AM
You know what I mean though

Dtools4fools
06-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Who told you that BoB would need to be "Completed" when the sim ships? Who told you that it wouldn't be a "full" BoB from day 1?

The developers. They did never mention that these planes will be flyable, nor did they mention that they will be added later on.

But they did mention already Focke-Wulfs and Africa.

So I base my question on what we were told so far.

I think you can safely bet that the intention is to actually complete the Battle of Britain, not just do a slap-up job and then skip around to something else, and then backtrack and complete the BoB

I do hope so too, but I would not bet on it. Because it never has been mentioned anywhere.

MEGILE
06-02-2007, 07:28 AM
A complete BoB, with as many relevant & important (common?) planes flyable as possbile would be coolio.

XyZspineZyX
06-02-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry I replied. I'm not going to split hairs until doomsday about having the lack of having Flt Off Wiggins, No 121 Sqdn, get the right shade of brown modelled for his shoes on August 12 1940, and how this means the "scenario is incomplete" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif because that's how this can always go- "Well if THIS isnt in it, how can it be "DONE"?!? "

With that approach nothing is ever done. Y'all know what I'm talking about, but as usual, go right ahead and ignore the point, and focus on hair splitting. You know what I meant, and it's so- when BoB ships, it's "done".

Maybe later, more flyables. but this doesn't mean the focus will be "finishing" BoB. This discussion is a mess and I'm genuinely sorry I got involved in it.

Megile=in charge, I'm out

ploughman
06-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I'd rather they moved on to another theatre, Barbarossa or something else from 1941, can't think of anything else important of the top of my head though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

After all, that'll leave room for 3rd party types to fill in the gaps, that is once they've gotten over filling the skies of Dover with 1945 hot rods of course which should take about a month from the release of the third party tools.

I'll also be interested to see if RRG Studios introduce carrier aviation in their SoW: Korea sim or if Oleg's lot'll keep that for whatever MTO or PTO release they get up to.

Dtools4fools
06-02-2007, 09:00 AM
As long as the core combatents are there then no one can really complain.

Indeed. That's exactly my point.

But from the list of flyables given there are missing some core combatants.

Include them first and then move on to next scenario or move on straight away?

That's as simple as my question was. I never asked to model the right shade of brown for someones shoes.

Personally I would prefer each scenario in detail (regarding flyables) and maybe less scenarios covered at the end of development instead of having as many scenarios covered as possible but all of them lacking some major combatants.

major_setback
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
If you mean go to the next theatre of operations rather than...say...do a Battle of France add-on, I would prefer to go straight to the next theatre. There is a big disadvantage in that thoughI think. The Med theatre needs lots of background info/research and model making and maps. There won't be as much to make for a Battle of France add-on (if we were to get it). So we would get a Frace add-on sooner.

I'd prefer to wait until the Med' sim is nicely complete and rounded before it's release, which probaly means a few years wait. By that time graphics improvements and computer advances will make it even better than the BoB release. It might be worth waiting just that bit longer - and having a few smaller add-ons to fill in the time while we wait.
Don't forget we also get the unnamed title (Korean) at some time after the release of SoW:BoB.

DuxCorvan
06-02-2007, 01:29 PM
How about building a house down the roof?

Man, don't be impatient. First, the sim. Then, we'll see. Be glad that there's a SoW, to start.

Deadmeat313
06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I believe they will fill in the gaps in earlier installments in the later ones as a matter of course - or in patches/addons.

It's what they did with IL-2, so I see no reason to worry overmuch.

T.

Philipscdrw
06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I wonder - if various SoW theatres are released as stand-alone titles, then either they'll all install seperately (and the first one will miss the global improvements applied to the later versions, or will require extra dev time as the devs write every single fix several times for each version of the game) or they'll install into one massive game, and new players will have a heck of a confusing installation routine to get everything installed and patched to the Hyperlobby standard...

BrotherVoodoo
06-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
A complete BoB, with as many relevant & important (common?) planes flyable as possbile would be coolio.

I second a complete BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VW-IceFire
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dtools4fools:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As long as the core combatents are there then no one can really complain.

Indeed. That's exactly my point.

But from the list of flyables given there are missing some core combatants.

Include them first and then move on to next scenario or move on straight away?

That's as simple as my question was. I never asked to model the right shade of brown for someones shoes.

Personally I would prefer each scenario in detail (regarding flyables) and maybe less scenarios covered at the end of development instead of having as many scenarios covered as possible but all of them lacking some major combatants.

**** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are we missing from the line up? I can see us asking for a couple of variations on the Hurricane, Spitfire, and 109 but thats pretty easy. Most of the major types are flyable...and the rest seem to have been shown as being modeled. I don't see any holes...certainly in the flyable list we have a pretty wide diversity although we don't have everything.

Roblex
06-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The way I see it IL-2 has covered pretty much every theatre of WW2 except for the English Channel which BoB will cover so there is not much to move onto after BoB. All the SoW series can add to the 39-46 period is a better game engine & netter graphics & better maps etc. Sure it would be nice to try out the Battle Of France and fly Dewoitines and Fairy Battles and Hampdens but I doubt there is sufficient interest to make it a whole new game in itself. The vast majority of the customer base would not want to pay for something that has much weaker planes than they are now used to. Similarly the Spanish Civil war would be interesting but not grounds for a dedicated release.

Given free rein I would love to see a release specifically to cover the Bomber War with Lancasters, Wellingtons, B17s & B24s fighting off 110s & 190s. Add in nightfighers with electronics, airborne radar & jamming etc. and it would offer quite a new experience. The only problem is what to do about the maps; do we scale them down so that it does not take so long to fly from East Anglia to Berlin? Do we have maps that only cover part of the route and always give bombers an airstart? Neither method is very acceptable.

The

Irish_Rogues
06-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Roblex:
The way I see it IL-2 has covered pretty much every theatre of WW2 except for the English Channel which BoB will cover so there is not much to move onto after BoB.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Not really, missing proper maps and incomplete plane sets...

LEXX_Luthor
06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
PloughMan::
After all, that'll leave room for 3rd party types to fill in the gaps, that is once they've gotten over filling the skies of Dover with 1945 hot rods of course which should take about a month from the release of the third party tools.
Maybe, Maybe not.

The StrikeFighers modders, bless their souls, have modded a mostly complete PVO plane set with weapons before any trademarked "flight sim" superHUDjetfighter were modded, including....

La-9
Yak-15
MiG-15
Su-9
Su-11
Yak-25
Yak-28P
Su-15
PVO MiG-21s
MiG-23
MiG-25
"nose" addon for MiG-17PF and -17PFU

As well as the almost complete ADC planeset including...

P-61
F-94B
F-89C
F-86Dora
F-106

Only much later were the usual superHUDjets like MiG-29 and F-16 (NATO codename Falcon) modded, although granted, the sim previously did not fully support modern digital superHUDs and such. But still, 3rd Partie modder communities are not as described (online cheaters, arcade gamers, etc...) at this one (1) webboard in the larger combat flight sim community.

As well, today we have 3rd Party B-47 and B-58, Victor and Valiant, while there is no (zero) superSTEALTHjetbombers like B-1 and B-2 although they are working up now as we poast, but so is the B-70. Just think -- a great antiflash-white B-70 on a DVD box cover with matching air war simulation modelling would outsell all those shooter game boxes with Su-27 Flaker or F-22 Rapper on the box cover, just on raw looks alone.

Roblex
06-03-2007, 12:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Roblex:
The way I see it IL-2 has covered pretty much every theatre of WW2 except for the English Channel which BoB will cover so there is not much to move onto after BoB.

Not really, missing proper maps and incomplete plane sets...

I did add "All the SoW series can add to the 39-46 period is a better game engine & better graphics & better maps etc.". My point is that these are just improvements to what we already have. Yes I would love to see a "SoW: Pacific Fighters" with maps that actually cover all of New Guinea and the Sumatran oil refineries and Ceylon so we can try out the famous battles & strikes but that in itself is not giving us anything radically new; just an upgrade. The same argument applies to new planes.

What SoW is offering new is not the ability to fly in major WW2 theatres that we have not flown in before, it is the ability to fly the ones we have already flown but with improved graphics & gameplay features. If more maps & aircraft are added that is great but we could have had that without buying a brand new game.

Enthor1
06-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Next scenario.

I know there are those who want every variation of every plane that ever left the ground in the BOB but all I need is the major players.

Then the Med, we can quickly get the major combatants, sans Russia and Japan, involved.

Then East Front again.

And I hope it does not take seven years to get there.

Scorpion.233
06-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Come to think of it, is there a list of which planes will be included in the initial release?

If not, which will make it judging from the screenshots?