PDA

View Full Version : Add-on Request: "break up" old maps

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 05:37 AM
I haven't seen anything about this posted in any of the forums, so here goes - myself and several of my mission-building friends would really like to see the current campaign maps broken up into several smaller maps, for use with online mission building. Say, with the Berlin map, break it up into a Poland map, a map with Berlin and the area to the north/east/northeast of it, and Berlin and the area to the south/east/southeast. As it stands, the campaign maps are just too large to effectively use online.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 05:37 AM
I haven't seen anything about this posted in any of the forums, so here goes - myself and several of my mission-building friends would really like to see the current campaign maps broken up into several smaller maps, for use with online mission building. Say, with the Berlin map, break it up into a Poland map, a map with Berlin and the area to the north/east/northeast of it, and Berlin and the area to the south/east/southeast. As it stands, the campaign maps are just too large to effectively use online.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 07:08 AM
They have smaller dogfight maps.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Personally I don't think the maps are big enough. As it stands, you hardly, if ever, run out of fuel.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Maps could be larger as our complex missions use the entire area.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Lexx - The smaller dogfight maps are nice, but if you're trying to make a semi-historic dogfight map and are using a scripted server, it's ******ed to have to use one of the 2 "land" dogfight maps to represent every part of eastern europe, especially when there are good, real-world maps available that are just too large to use on a dogfight server.

Thief - For a dogfight server, fuel doesn't really matter - you just don't want a huge map to take up your RAM when it could be better used for objects and other stuff.

Mountain - Yet again, "big maps" aren't my concern, just smaller dogfight maps. Sorry if I didn't make that part clear in my initial post.

IMO, there's just no reason to have a map like the Gulf of Finland, that has been officially stated to take up a good 400 MB of RAM, not broken down into several more manageable maps. The Leningrad area (say, the right 1/3rd of the Gulf map) would be fine just by itself, especially given how much action went on in just that area. If someone wants to make a mission that spans the entire gulf all the way to Leningrad, you've still gut the full-sized map, but if you're just focusing on the city and it's surrounding area there's no reason your computer should have to load 400MB worth of information. And more importantly, I don't see why it would be such a huge deal for the 1C:Maddox team to do this - yes, it'll take a little time to do, but it should be easy enough to do that the benefits (to myself and anyone else who makes maps for scripted servers, at the least) would be worth it.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 04:43 PM
You may wish to explore the "conf" file and experiment with manually grafix settings. Gives you more control beyond the FB grafix menu.

400MB. Thanks...I think I just figured out why I am getting no "stutter" on Finland map with 256MB SDRAM....

I always fly with all environmental ground objects detail as low as possible and I am talking FlatFlatFlat as hell. That could be it. In "conf" file you can turn these objects off yet keep visibility distance high for aircraft and active ground objects and ships.

*** What I say is that maybe on maps like Finland the grafix card don't matter but its the RAM not carrying all the little Excellent or Perfect outhouses and stuff that crash everybody (but me http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif ). Also I got WinXP and FB 256MB works smooth. My problem is my low end grafix which makes me desperate for....

...this...I'll bump up my thread about grafix settings in the Mission Builder forum.

Message Edited on 09/07/0304:05PM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Adjusting the graphics card settings (for the card itself) and then adjusting the features used in FB manuelly in the FB setup program can make an enourmous difference in FPS and detail. I havn't messed with the conf.ini but I don't doubt that it gives you even more power to fine tune. I can run the Leningrad and Berlin maps just fine on my very mediocre system.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Set TexQual=0 the FMB map looks silly with *nothing* on it but if you are low end, you can easily double your frame rate.

TexQual=0 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif