PDA

View Full Version : Need Updates On CD

CVA-63
11-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Have pf 3.03. Live in rural Iowa with no high speed connection. Would like to purchase auto-load cd for new updates of patches. Do not play online. Too old and reflexes are not there!! Any help would be appreciated. Tks

ReligiousZealot
11-28-2005, 11:33 AM
This may sound a bit weird but the only way I think you can get the updates on CD is ordering them from a filesharing site, such as filefront or fileplanet.

Otherwise I can only recommend getting a download resuming program such as Get Right (http://www.getright.com) or Download Accelerator (http://www.speedbit.com).

That or wait for the rumored "Pacific Fighters Platinum Pack" which is supposed to contain all the updates as well as all the Il2 titles and PF.

ytareh
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Im sure someone would put them on a cd and post it to you if you were prepared to offer to cover their (minimal) costs(many might not even accept anyway...).As Im in Ireland I'll give your fellow americans first refusal on this but if you havent had any luck send me a message in a week or two....!Theres a tremendous amount of goodwill in this community despite the odd 'flamewar'.One guy in England once just gave me Dark Blue World on dvd as he hadnt particularly liked it ,no postage charge even....Good luck!

actionhank1786
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll try and see if i can send these things out on a CD.
I'll pm you if i find anything out.

Bearcat99
11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Check your PTs... CVA63..
BTW consider this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4591089933/r/4591089933#4591089933). You might want to go that route. It is actually well worth it.... especially if you are a warbird nut like most of us.

Yen Lo
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
check your pms cva I live in Iowa I can help ya out. I like to help out fellow gamers.

djetz
11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I really think the makers should make these patches available on CD, 100mb downloads are just not an option for me at this stage. I'd happily pay costs. I only recently got hold of FB/AEP and I'm strongly considering buying PF, but the download problem is really offputting. I'm staying at my mother's house while I try to find somewhere to live (don't ask), which is taking forever, so I don't have the possibility of getting broadband access for months at least. I'm stuck on 56k dial-up and a pretty slow and crappy 56k at that.

It would be nice to have the AEP updates and know that I have the possibility of getting the PF updates if I buy the game.

Still, it could be worse: I bought a WW1 strategy game that won't work at all without a 100mb+ download - it would have been nice if someone had mentioned that before I paid my money...

Sooo... I live in Melbourne, Australia... anyone feel like helping me out with a CD? I'll pay costs or work out some kind of payment in kind if anyone is interested.

My email (spam adjusted): djetz(at)email.com

Copy/paste and replace (at) with @ whilst cursing spambot webcrawlers.

x6BL_Brando
11-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I really think the makers should make these patches available on CD, 100mb downloads are just not an option for me at this stage. I'd happily pay costs. I only recently got hold of FB/AEP and I'm strongly considering buying PF, but the download problem is really offputting.

I understand your problem, but does it occur to you that it would cost a lot of money to print up, package & post a CD everytime a patch came out? Especially as it's not likely to be in great demand. This is a commercial issue as I'm sure you understand. How much would you pay UbiSoft for this service? How many should they have made up? 10, 100, 1000? Would you pay $10, $15, $20?

Hopefully someone here will help you out - but I find it hard to imagine that you have no friends with broadband locally or within reasonable distance who would d/l and burn-to-disc an update for you. It's not like you have to own the game to get an update for it. Just send 'em to 3dgamers.com with the appropriate link - maybe get them to d/l some skins & missions from airwarfare.com or flyinglegends.com too as there will be about 600Mb free space on the CD.

Bearcat99
11-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Considering the cost of CDs now adays and first class postage.. I think it is better if community members do it. It not only fosters a sense of true friendliness but plants seeds for new members to "pay forward" if you will. I think the cost of postage is more than the cost of the CD.

blakduk
11-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys
I have the same dilemma- i dont have access to broadband and the work IT guys cant help me either.
I live on the far south coast of NSW, Australia. I recently upgraded to PF (so i have version 3.0) and would like to patch up to 4.02.
Tully- if you read this i often have to go to Canberra for meetings. Can i bludge a CD off you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yen Lo
11-30-2005, 04:59 PM
CVA You get your updates then?

djetz
11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I got an offer to help out, so hopefully it will work out.

Brando: You have a point, regarding the time/money involved in making official copies of the patches available on CD by mail order - it is a lot of trouble to go to... but not everyone has access to broadband internet. I could have used the connection at work, but, sadly, I got downsized... with no warning. I do know a couple of people with broadband access, but one of them I've kind of burned out my favour-asking rights at the moment and the other has just split from his long-term relationship and I really don't want to bother him right now.

I do find that internet forums are a good place for asking for help with things like this: I've been helped out before and I've helped out others in turn. It doesn't take much to burn a CD and post it.

I bought PF, by the way: I found a copy for under $30 so I decided to take the plunge. It's worth it, I've always liked the US Navy planes for some reason, particularly the Corsair.

Anyway, I am in agreement with Bearcat's words about helping out the community, so - blakduk, if I can get copies of the PF patches, I will pass them along to you. Let me know.

blakduk
11-30-2005, 06:34 PM
djetz- your dilemma sound very similar to mine. The local guy i know with broadband access has a tight restriction on his downloads and he's very reluctant to help.
I may have found a solution so if i score a CD first i'll get your details and send on a copy.

BTW- i recently got PF after i saw it advertised for <$30 at the Gameswarehouse site.

Blackjack04
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Blakduk, if you do not have any luck with Tully let me know. I live Sunshine Coast Qld and have most of the patches on file. Will check back this thread Sunday. Just confirm what ones you require. Glad to help.

Aaron_GT
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Here's an idea, Bearcat. Perhaps a sticky thread (or one per continent?) could be put up on the GD containing a list of people who are prepared to help out fellow gamers by putting patches on a CD. You can put my nickname there for Europe.

Bearcat99
12-01-2005, 03:28 PM
I think it's just better to do it this way. I already sent him a CD. So if he gets two or 3 then I am sure the next time he sees a post like this he will have no prolems paying it forward. He should be getting it before saturday.. I thin I sent it Tuesday. I have had quite a few people do similar things for me..... so it is just pushing it along AFAIC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

major_setback
12-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Tip: Subscribe to the sim-flight magazine PC Pilot, they release every patch for FB/PF on CD.

http://www.pcpilot.net/(3py1tl45pdao4i454jujeq55)/index.aspx

It should be available at all good news stalls on both sides of the Atlantic (I have no trouble finding it and i live in Sweden!).

You will have to wait a while before each patch is released but they always get around to releasing them on the CD that accompanies the magazine! There are often lots of other goodies on the CD's , such as add-ons for FS2004 and X-Plane, patches for other sims, as well as demo's and good reading on new releases etc. The mag' only comes out 6 times a year...it's well worth the expense, and you will never have to download a thing!

Here's an example of one of their reviews: the review of Just Flight's Spitfire that they have kindly put on the above website (you can find more of their reviews on that link by looking at the 'back issues section'

http://www.pcpilot.net/(3py1tl45pdao4i454jujeq55)/img/issues/7e5ab533-bcfa-4ad1-bf4a-6a72b11f83a9.pdf

This magazine is well worth supporting...I somehow get the feeling that they are struggling to keep going (reading between the lines). Most of their reviews are well written (with the exception of a recent one that praised Heroes of the Pacific much too highly), anything that they recommend is usually well worth buying.
It is written by dedicated sim lovers who know what they are talking about, and offers the rare chance of an unbiased appraisal of the latest releases in this genre.

bird_brain
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
Tip: Subscribe to the sim-flight magazine I was going to say the same thing, & I have copies of all the discs, but if anyone in the USA needs patches, I have mailed discs before & it costs about $3 for a couple of 100mb patches.

Bearcat99
12-01-2005, 10:59 PM
While both mags.. PF Pilot and Computer Pilot (http://www.computerpilot.com/) are good.... I find that for me the only sim I am really interested in is this one... so often I find stuff in there that I really dont need.

Others may feel differently....

Tully__
12-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Blackjack04:
Blakduk, if you do not have any luck with Tully let me know. I live Sunshine Coast Qld and have most of the patches on file. Will check back this thread Sunday. Just confirm what ones you require. Glad to help.
I'll get it Blackjack04, blakduk & I are making arrangements by PT.

bird_brain
12-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
While both mags.. PF Pilot and Computer Pilot (http://www.computerpilot.com/) are good.... I find that for me the only sim I am really interested in is this one... so often I find stuff in there that I really dont need. Others may feel differently....

I have been flying the Cessna 172 in FS2004 to go along with my real world flight lessons. There is alot of cool stuff in PC Pilot for that sim, even though it is pretty tame compared to FB.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif