PDA

View Full Version : Japanese L2D Q?

walsh2509
01-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Japanese L2D Q?

I went for a jolly in a Spitfire over Okinawa and just for target practice I added a Japanese L2D.

I got behind it and let rip, left engine burst into flames and when the smoke cleared a little I seen that I had shot off the top part of the Tail , so with no rudder to turn right or left I expected it to go into a dive ?? newb! right or wrong?

All it did was go into a gentle very slow decending circle, this lasted for about a minute or so, then with left engine totally covered in flames and the top tail piece totally gone it straightened out then started to climb?

Q? should this plane with a engine out burning engulfed in flame and the tail fin missing, pull out of a decent level out then start to climb again?

ps.. does the pilot in a Japanese L2D sit on the left or right?

I forgot to say as the plane started to go down I saw 1 jump clear, when I F2'd for a look round the decending plane I saw there was still 1 person on board, he was sitting in the right hand seat, is that not the co-pilots seat?? if it is then the pilot has so to speak done a runner!

HotelBushranger
01-30-2005, 06:02 AM
Hahaha thats coz you killed his co-pilot mate.

And as for the burning plane, yes AI is very queer sometimes. I've also noticed that sometimes when on fire they'll bail out, sometimes they won't, perhaps coz they know it'll go out or something. So, just pump a few more cannon rounds into the burning wing should do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

walsh2509
01-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Hahaha thats coz you killed his co-pilot mate.

I take it what your saying is the pilot bail-out but the co-pilot didn't because he was dead!

As for the engine it burned big and bright all the time, from being shot up and then decending in slow turning circles for a least a minute, then it still burned big when it came out of the decent and started to pull level and I watched this plane for about 4/5mins and all the time large long flames came streaming out from the engine ( and don't forget the Tail Fin was totally gone too )and after pulling level it went into a gentle climb I watched this climb for at least the final 2 minutes and it was still in a steady climb and I quit the mission.

So with the pilot bailout and the co-pilot dead? for if he was alive then he would have bailed too! who was flying the plane? And with the pilot out and the co dead, should the plane have not went into a dive? instead of this gentle turning decent into a leveling out then into a steady climb! which I watched for 2 mins before i got fed up and quit!

There is still a lot that needs to be fixed in this game.

HotelBushranger
01-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Hmmmmm, yes that IS strange. Usually if the pilot bails it continues the course it was last at, although i reckon when the pilot is killed, it should go into a dive, as hes leaning forward. I think I can remember this sort of this happening with an empty Betty, it could be just flyign conditions and AI accuracy with the joystick, or it could sort of be just following the same flight pattern as good as it can. I'm not sure perhaps you should take this up in one of the other forums, ahh Tech I think theres one.

Bobsqueek
01-30-2005, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Q? should this plane with a engine out burning engulfed in flame and the tail fin missing, pull out of a decent level out then start to climb again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word. yes.

JaggedRaven
01-30-2005, 06:48 AM
I've seen it too...sometimes turbulence will upright them as they glide down to their doom. But my favorite is when I get killed while pulling a high G loop...and my aircraft continues to loop in almost pefect circles barely losing altitude until fuel runs out...clocked it at 20 minutes one time. Works even better for jet aircraft...they can actually GAIN altitude by doing this in a constant climbing turn/loop. For this to happen in real life the pilot would have had to have died and pinned the stick back all the way...can't see that happening with the flight stick's dynamic motion and a lot of dead bodyweight. Still...funny as heck to watch!

VW-IceFire
01-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Shooting off the tail doesn't equal instant dive. The tail provides stability in flight but the tail is not the only flat surface along the plane that provides that ability. The entire side of the aircraft and the airframe contibutes to the overall effect of keeping the plane flying more or less straight ahead. Thats why things like tail fillets became necessary on bubble canopy conversions of certain aircraft such as the P-47D-27 and P-51D to make up the stability.

That said, the AI behaves very strangely (and infact the FM behaves strangely sometimes) when a tail is shot off. Its a funny thing and its quite difficult to fly if it happens to you.

Captain_Avatar
01-30-2005, 11:15 AM
You also have to remember that the L2D /C-47 /DC3 was designed as a passenger plane and as such it was a very stable platform. If you let go of the stick in a fighter you'll eventually spin out of control. A Cargo/Passenger plane stay level for much longer.

LC34
01-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I had a time in a P-38 when I bailed out, no enemy fighters or damage to my plane, just fooling around.

Anyhow after bailing out, the plane continued on a very slow, turn/climb. It stayed on this course going up and up without me flying it until it came to its ceiling limit, must have run out of oxygen in the engines or something so it sputtered out and dove until it got started again and did the same thing, although not for long as after the dive it must have picked up too much speed and it eventually (after watching this for about 25 mins, it did a nose dive into the ground. Was really fun to watch and guess at how long it would stay in the air. I couldnt watch it actually crash though. Didnt want to see a plane so dead set on staying in the air come to such an end. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Krt_Bong
01-30-2005, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bobsqueek:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Q? should this plane with a engine out burning engulfed in flame and the tail fin missing, pull out of a decent level out then start to climb again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word. yes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all, even with a lot of side area a plane missing it's rudder and a twin engine at that with one burning should naturally turn into the dead/burning engine and enter a spin. Anyone familiar with flight dynamics knows this, Full-Scale twin pilots have known for years that the loss of one engine can cause a spin if they turn into the dead engine, however the damage model on A.I. planes is probably not so sophisticated as to have that included in the flight model I'm guessing

3.JG51_BigBear
01-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Japanese pilots sit on the right not the left.

darkhorizon11
01-30-2005, 05:23 PM
It is possible to fly an airplane with an engine out the rudder missing. In WWII most pilots weren't experienced enough to really deal with this and probably would have bailed.

In your case, it probably was just quirky AI.

JunkoIfurita
02-03-2005, 06:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Japanese pilots sit on the right not the left. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm you on that one, BigBear. The planes are oriented the same as road vehicles and Japan (as well as Australia and the UK) drive on the left - hence the driver is on the right.

----

FltLt_HardBall
02-03-2005, 05:01 PM
There is a difference between how damage is represented graphically, and what's going on inside the game engine, IIRC.

You may sometimes get a situation where the mathematical damage model is say, "moderate", but the graphical representation of that looks worse. So let's say the tail was 40% damaged in the mathematical model, but the graphic damage only has 2 settings ("damaged", and "gone"). It looks worse than it is.

I had that once with a P-39. The elevators were visually gone, but I still had a little control.

BTW, in New Zealand we drive on the right, but we still follow the international convention of the airplane commander sitting on the left.