PDA

View Full Version : CFS3..is it any good?

muchaclopiec
09-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I saw MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 for $27 AU the other day..i dont know much about the sim, other than its meant to be something of a lame duck, but ive heard there is a fairly decent WW1 add available.

So folks is CFS3 worth forking out for?, and what was wrong with it in the first place.

cheers

bhunter2112
09-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I tried mine for about 1 day and then complained to microsoft and they took it back plus paid the postage. nuff said

SeaFireLIV
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
No.

steve_v
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
So folks is CFS3 worth forking out for?, and what was wrong with it in the first place.
IMHO, I would pass on it at this point. (and feel its over-priced)

ytareh
09-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I have both CFS3 and the OFF add on and to be straight would advise you stick with IL2 .The stand alone game is a pig and needs to be patched and to buy the Firepower addon to be worth while running.The OFF add on (free) has nice immersion -music/splashscreens etc but wasnt earth moving for me ...Theres a version 2 but not sure Id be even a little tempted .OFF has/had BIG downloads in many fragments .
If you feel like a break from the 'routine' of the IL2 game just take up level bombing or gunner duties or mission building ,skinning etc etc .....Ive tried ALL the rest and believe me this is the best.
If you REALLY want some WW1 First Eagles is ok but quite arcadish ...you cant even look behind you....annoying with Track IR.Planes do bounce around-very hard to keep gunsight on enemies and are sluggish as heck....not the easiest flight model considering its 'sim lite' origin....
If youre not already online try that and you will forget CFS3!Should be available practically free on Ebay !Come to think of it if youre that interested pm me and I will sell ya CFS3, Firepower and a quite rare Battle of Britain CFS3 'Expansion Pack' from Just Flight.I will include Over Flanders Fields on DVD with 'Super Patch' (this latter is a free item of course ).

Bearcat99
09-08-2007, 04:53 PM
The problem with CFS3 is that number one out of the box it is pure garbage. Period. No better way to put it. CFS3 out of tyhe box was the worse excuse for a flight sim ever foisted upon the consumer market. CFS2 was a MUCH better product out of the box.
CFS3 became tolerable with a lot of 3rd party add ons... Compared to 46 you would be wasting your money. You would be better off getting either WoV or FSX.. but CFS3 and for the price they want STILL.. is just NOT worth it.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I tired so hard to like CFS 3 and even reinstalled it upwards of 6 times or so but it never happened. The same holds true for BoB II, although the main reason I cant get into it is because there is no multiplayer which is no fault of the game itself. Now I have no trouble enjoying Lomac FC or FS9.

S!

Rjel
09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
It's better than falling on a sharp stick, but not by much.

Bearcat99
09-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
I tired so hard to like CFS 3 and even reinstalled it upwards of 6 times or so but it never happened. The same holds true for BoB II, although the main reason I cant get into it is because there is no multiplayer which is no fault of the game itself. Now I have no trouble enjoying Lomac FC or FS9.

S!

Same here.... I wasnt crazy about WoV.. but it was better than CFS3 after the patch.

AKA_TAGERT
09-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by muchaclopiec:
So folks is CFS3 worth forking out for?, and what was wrong with it in the first place. most expensive coffee coster I ever bought... but worth it.

ploughman
09-08-2007, 05:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

It coasts coffee like no other bit of software I've ever bought.

joeap
09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
$27 AU? Way too much, there are good addons like OFF and MAW (Mediterranean Air War) which are free, but still don't pay more than 10 bucks for it especially what 4 years after it came out??

Lubcke
09-08-2007, 05:28 PM
dont buy it

Chivas
09-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I spent more time installing and uninstalling CFS3 than I spent flying it. I flew OFF for maybe 1/2 hour, haven't tried MAW.
IL-2 1946 is the best product with BOB WOV worth giving a go, especially if your a Battle of Britain fan. CFS1 and 2 are far better flight sims than CFS3.

Skycat_2
09-08-2007, 07:15 PM
SimHQ's review (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_058a.html)--in my opinion, the best review at the time.
Firing Squad review (http://www.firingsquad.com/games/combat_flight_simulator_3_review/default.asp)--the assessment of the dynamic campaign is spot on.
Play review (http://play.tm/story/769)--Richard's closing summarization is worth heeding.
Viking1's review at Frugal's World (http://www.frugalsworld.com/reviews/cfs3-rev1.shtml)--This was one of the very first reviews available. I remember Len posted some preview screenshots from an advance copy of CFS-3. I think he is an add-on developer and may have been biased towards giving CFS-3 a favorable review.

My notes:
- CFS-3 was released a few months before "IL-2: Forgotten Battles" and was probably rushed to completion to have it on store shelves in time for Christmas 2002.
- Microsoft departed from the CFS-1/CFS-2 playing style apparently to make CFS-3 more appealing to a 'gamer' audience.
- When released, CFS-3 was the first major ETO-themed WWII air sim since Microprose's "B-17II: The Mighty Eighth." It seemed to promise something for almost everybody and be the sim that would finally merge the fans of several older, competing sims: European Air War, CFS, Jane's WWII Fighters, and Fighter Squadron.
- "IL-2 Sturmovik" was enjoying only a limited success because it focused solely on Germany vs. Soviet Russia. There were many players within this hobby who initially refused to even try IL-2 Sturmovik because 'Nazis vs. Commies' had no appeal to them.

When CFS-3 and Forgotten Battles were both new releases on the same retail shelves, it could at least be argued that they offered completely different theaters of operations and flyable aircraft. Both titles had flyable P-47D Thunderbolts, Bf109Gs, Fw190As...and that was about all they had in common. If you wanted to fly Spitfires, Mustangs, Lightnings, B-25s, Mosquitos, Tempests, P-80, Ju88 or Gotha 229 you had to go with CFS-3. FB did not get the flyable P-51D or the Normandy and Ardennes maps until a long-awaited update patch.

This helps explain why CFS-3 had even some competitive edge among serious simmers and WWII enthusiasts in the early years. I don't think that it is a coincidence that IL-2's popularity exploded with "Aces Expansion Pack" and "Pacific Fighters." Meanwhile, add-on developers who had tried to make a go at supporting CFS-3 (including Shockwave with its acclaimed "FirePower") dropped away to focus on other sims. Despite its firm entrenchment in the retail market and huge advertising budget, Microsoft cancelled its Combat Flight Simulator 4 project that was in development.

I may come off as being entirely negative against CFS-3; I'm not. I've whiled away many hours in it flying mostly the fighter-bombers and 'moving mud.' CFS-3 has some decent special effects that are made even better by modders like GhostPony (look for his website) or add-ons like FirePower. It is also one of the few WWII air combat sims that will allow you to take off from England, cross the channel and fly deep into Western Europe. As a casual Typhoon 1B fan, I was appreciative that it was included in CFS-3 and that the cockpit is, uhhh, tolerable. As a serious P-47D Thunderbolt fan, I've struggled with the horrific Frankenstein's Monster cockpit that Microsoft created; one cockpit (with minor canopy changes) is used for both Thunderbolt variants in the game. The instrument panel seems to have been based on the P-47B (based on the early style landing gear/flaps position guage) while the gunsight is a fictitious amalgam of designs. As bizarre and inaccurate as it is to have a K-14 sight in the razorback version to begin with, Microsoft makes the gunsight thoroughly unusable by positioning the windscreen's front support directly in front of the gunsight reticle.

Skycat_2
09-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:
I flew OFF for maybe 1/2 hour, haven't tried MAW.
I installed MAW v1.0, tried it out over several nights and then lost interest in it pretty quickly. I removed it soon after. While I applaud the dedication and talents of the development team, I personally felt that MAW had too many faults to be enjoyable in the single player mode. I'm sure it would be an absolute blast in Multiplayer mode however.

steve_v
09-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Since the gloves are off, I bought it and resold it the next week. Its not my cup of tea. IMHO, it sux! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

BurningBeard
09-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I think it is all up to what you are looking for. I have CFS3 and don't fly it at all. However I also have 1946 and fly it very rarely. They are not the same game and should not even be approached the same way. I do however fly OFF phase 2 a lot. The graphics are better than IL2 (in my opinion) and the campaign is really good. I also prefer WWI to WWII. CFS3 does support 6DOF in track IR as does OFF. I prefer the time jump in CFS3 to the speed excell in IL2 etal. CFS3 has been made into a good platform for free and pay upgrades and models. I will admit that I have bought IL2, Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, and 1946 all on a game that I dont use very often, so if you want to get into an expensive coaster collection, I could have saved a lot of money and just waited for 1946. Online is what IL2 is really good for because it is controlled, the additional user generated models cause problems for CFS3.

So take it with a grain of salt. This forum has traditionally thrashed anything CFS3 or MS for that matter, but if you are looking for a platform that can be expanded on with many user models and upgrades, CFS3 is only rivaled by the Red Baron community.

Beard

TheGozr
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I could have saved a lot of money and just waited for 1946...........

From IL2 the begining well waiting for years is not a good solution..

Don't wait just enjoy now things you can get now..

Bearcat99
09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
People talk about all these great user made add ons for CFS3.... but I am curious.. and I dont know because I never bothered to try to wade through it all after the first 6 or 7.. I cant remember.. but just how many addons does it actually take to make CFS3 a reasonably playable sim. My impression is that it would take more than all the patches for IL2 & FB combined and multiplied by at least a factor of two. How far off am I.

knightflyte
09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
People talk about all these great user made add ons for CFS3.... but I am curious.. and I dont know because I never bothered to try to wade through it all after the first 6 or 7.. I cant remember.. but just how many addons does it actually take to make CFS3 a reasonably playable sim. My impression is that it would take more than all the patches for IL2 & FB combined and multiplied by at least a factor of two. How far off am I.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I tried to like CFS3. Had it on my hard drive from the day it was released until the day Forgotten Battles came out. I bought IL2 on Dec 7, 2002. I played and tried to customise the graphis in CFS, but never found anything satisfactory.

My firt campaign had me bombing navy battlestations a good distance away. I lost count of how many EXACTLY THE SAME missions I flew. I even thought I was playing the same mission over and over.

I lost interest and uninstalled it when FB arrived.

Installed it again on a comp upgrade. Still no interest. Once again I installed for Flanders Field. Not long on my machine again. Though I did find the slower pace of WW1 to be a bit refreshing.

There's something to be said about the virtual ERGONOMICS of IL2. For me I can feel it when I sit in other sim's cockpits. There a level of immediate comfortableness in IL2 that lets you concntrate on flying, rather than feel uncomfortable and distracted. I can't explain it any other way. I get the same feeling in BoB WoV.....though I give that a much better grade the CFS. There community is top notch too.

Last note. That's WAY too much cash for CFS. I was up at my local Electronics Boutique tonight and found MSFS:X for $29.00. (didn't buy it as I was going to the movies)

VonGrantoven
09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I have just recently got into IL-2 after about a year of spending a lot of time in CFS3.

Straight out of the box, I would have to agree that 1946 is head and shoulders above CFS3, but frankly no-one flys it box-stock more than once or twice.
The advantages that CFS3 has over '46 are it's incredible modability and the tremendously talented and enthusiastic community that support the game.
Mods such as OFF (absolutely amazing and immersive WW1 simulator) and MAW (Mediteranean Air War) provide a very different experience indeed. There is also a very dynamic feeling in the community that just about anything is possible, new planes objects and even whole land masses appear regularly. Flight models are regularly reviewed (AVHistory produces the 1% series of flight models that aim for accuracy within 1% of the specs of the actual aircraft)

You are absolutely right though, Bearcat, all of this means an almost constant cycle of tweaking and trying add ons to get to the experience you find fits you best.
If you are willing to put in the time and effort you can come up with something that really fits the experience you are looking for.

If you are the sort who hotrods cars or bikes or builds their own computer and case mods, then you will probably like CFS3 and get a lot out of it. Otherwise, I advise you to give it a miss.

Also if you have any interest at all in WW1 then I can't recommend OFF enough. The install on this is painless and it is probably one of the most immersive sim experiences I have ever encountered. I originally got CFS3 just for this alone.

I am definitely not a CFS3 fanboy (I am flying 1946 exclusively right now). It is not to everyone's taste.
However, saying that is total **** and only useful for coffee coaster's is more than a little ignorant of the reality, and won't help you to make an informed decision.

Oh, and $27 does sound a bit pricey. You can probably get it for half that on ebay if you are still interested.

(2 cents by )
VonG
~S~

DustyBarrels77
09-08-2007, 11:37 PM
yes its great game and alot of fun, the people of this community are just fanbois of maddox which is silly for a press one button to fly game like crimsonskies with similiar flight characteristics. Just like any wwii flight sim most are fun and enjoyable, cfs3 does many more important things better then this game. sound, weather, visability distance, flight model, weapons, weather, complex engine management and complex aircraft controls, differential braking for an example.

There is also alot of great freeware addons like MAW and Over Flanders Field plus thousands of aircraft to download, scenery etc.. basically all the fs9 x stuff can easily be converted to cfs3. Also the community in cfs3 are a great bunch of fellows who contribute for free like the aviation history and simouthouse people. The know what a community is rather then a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrable at flying this game. (no offense to anyone) Plus the only way this community contributes anything is free skins and missions in which the majority try to charge the price of the full game for here, and as you see above their responses just like most replies on these forums.

Im one of those who been flying these sims since chuck yeagars flight sim, red baron, aces over europe, aces over russia, aces over the pacific till current day.

Im one of those who like to help others out and not be particular to one game and love all flight sims. I think you will have alot of fun with it especially on todays computers. Back when cfs3 came out the faster computers were P2 400s amd athalons 600s etc and had studder problems on the deck, all thats been resolved long ago.

The one thing you have no control over there in cfs3 are cheats and host locked settings in which I enjoy the il2 series despite its crimsonskies like arcadish game play. But its still fun like anything else.

The ground attack role is alot of fun also cfs3 had alot of nice fx and addon fx, primary and secondary explosions etc in which il2 is simple like pong in that aspect. Try it out and let us know what you think of it really after metting the makers of over flanders field and maw, flying with them and on comms etc Then compair that to the majority of the fellows here and on comms who complain non stop which is irritating.

<o, enjoy

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-08-2007, 11:54 PM
To me, it seemed like the scenery was moving instead of the plane. Am I alone on this?

S!

muchaclopiec
09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Also if you have any interest at all in WW1 then I can't recommend OFF enough. The install on this is painless and it is probably one of the most immersive sim experiences I have ever encountered. I originally got CFS3 just for this alone.
The buzz ive heard about OFF is what piqued my interest in CFS3 in the first place.
Ive always wanted a decent WW1 sim..ive got First Eagles but cant help feeling theres something missing..
if i can get CFS# cheap on ebay, i might give it a go, and see if OFF is as good as evryone says it is.

thanks for your input on this guys

Skycat_2
09-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by DustyBarrels77:
There is also alot of great freeware addons like MAW and Over Flanders Field plus thousands of aircraft to download, scenery etc.. basically all the fs9 x stuff can easily be converted to cfs3.
If FS2004 planes are so 'easily' converted to CFS-3, how come so few FS warbird developers have made CFS-3 ready versions from their models? This used to be pretty standard in the CFS/CFS-2 days but became a rarity in CFS-3. The truth is that FS2004/FSX uses a different format for the models and textures than CFS-3 does. Even if you are able to make an FS plane able to fly in the CFS-3 world, you'd still have to program in the weapons and damage model, etc.

Also, show me where I can find these 'thousands' of CFS-3 planes that are ready for download. Repaints don't count.

Plus the only way this community contributes anything is free skins and missions in which the majority try to charge the price of the full game for here
The IL-2 series contains several models and maps that were built by fans and donated for inclusion.
In addition, look around and you'll find many examples of freeware utilitities for IL-2 including:
- Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator (DCG)
- IL-2 Stab
- IL-2 Mat-Manager
- Daemon's UberQuick Mission Generator
- Hardball's Aircraft Viewer

leitmotiv
09-09-2007, 01:31 AM
The usual CFS3 polka with all the usual dancers---if you have CFS3, try "Mediterranean Air War." As some, including me, have written, once you play with 6 DOF IL-2 loses much gloss. I am not keen on "Over Flanders Fields" because, unlike MAW, they didn't fix the lame-O CFS3 FM. If they did fix it in the latest version, it may be hot stuff. If you are desperate for WWI right now, it is the only option because FIRST EAGLES is ghastly.

joeap
09-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Just like any wwii flight sim most are fun and enjoyable, cfs3 does many more important things better then this game. sound, weather, visability distance, flight model, weapons, weather, complex engine management and complex aircraft controls, differential braking for an example.

The one thing you have no control over there in cfs3 are cheats and host locked settings in which I enjoy the il2 series despite its crimsonskies like arcadish game play. But its still fun like anything else.

...or the people who have no clue...arcadish play? Yea depends on the mission and who you fly with that's all. FM I won't touch, weapons what are you smoking? MS always had the bb gun effects...at least that's my impression.

tagTaken2
09-09-2007, 04:17 AM
To me, it seemed like the scenery was moving instead of the plane. Am I alone on this?

S!

No, good call.

CFS3 made me feel like I was flying a beige box across a stuttery, pixellated Europe. At the time I didn't have much else for comparison, but it still didn't feel right.
Il-2, from the moment I tried the demo, always gives the feeling you are there.

Feathered_IV
09-09-2007, 04:26 AM
a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrible at flying this game. (no offense to anyone)

Er....none taken http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

SeaFireLIV
09-09-2007, 04:55 AM

In my opinion all the Patches and-ons still fails CFS3 against IL2/46, even just against FB\AEP+PF!

Like I`ve said so many times before, I tried CFS3 when it originally came out just before FB. I SO wanted it to work. It had a great `what-if` campaign where Germany or the Allies could win adding longevity potential.

I ran it for 2 months to give it a real fair chance. The first pain was simply getting the thing to run smoothly, I had to do so much tweaking (but i let it off on that since all new games act like this).

The second problem was the game itself. Where shall I start? The easiest way is just to list... i`ll start gentle...

1. Dodgy graphics. Ground looks weird. Clouds look like wedges of white mush. Not improved.

2. Aircraft all look exactly the same in your squad. No indivduality of planes like you can get in IL2. CFS3 planes in your Squad take your colour markings and everything exactly. Drones. Not improved.

3. Aircraft comms with AI are pathetic. let`s see, I think there are only 3 commands. Help, Split and Attack. Friendly AI never warn you if enemy aircraft appears. AI ground bombing is weird, more than not AI friends will plough into the ground after delivering their load. that`s when they get round to delivering it! Not fixed.

4. Warping to target in fighter aircraft intercept missions kills your engine, taking 2 minutes to restart. By then, you`re either shot down or the fight`s over. Never explained, never fixed.

5.Dogfighting. What dogfight? Enemy AI fighter aircraft just keep turning then at some point go up a bit and then continue turning until shot down. No variation. Never fixed.

6. Blow up a bomber or fighter, and the falling gun still fires. Seems reasonable? Not when you realise that empty aircraft which the pilot bailed from will still shoot you if you pass the plane. Never fixed. (this was what finally made me quit the game at the end of 2 months).

7. None of the wonderful damage modelling or precision of shooting that IL2 has.

8. No ranking system. You are leader, forever.

Now the ok CFS3 stuff.

Ground fighting and ground attacks. the immersion facter of attacking ground targets is quite good in that it does look like a whole war going on down there and dropping a 1000lb on a ship or installation really gives you the devastating fireworks you`d expect to see in reality. tanks and vehicles (even though they drive thru eachother) engage each other and shoot at you and there`s a lot of ground detail when maxed out.

I got it patched and got FirePower recently ( a couple of months ago) and gave CFS3 a second chance. All the things above I pointed out were NOT touched. Dogfights are still abysmal, the conking out engine still happens, etc, etc.

What Firepower does is NOT fix any of the obvious dogfighting issues, but enhance the groundfighting graphics and pyrotechnics that make being a Bomber Pilot enjoyable and gives you a few free planes. They don`t say this, pointing out all the other stuff, because I asked before getting FP, no one would give me a direct answer, except to point me to their promotion link (the old don`t mention negatives only positives routine I know it`s a business, shockwave), but it`s NOT a Fighter aircraft sim. This time I had 6dOF TIR -It`s still bad except you can see around you more! Get BOBwov for 6DOF goodness.

The ONLY other good news when I retried it was that CFS3 ran on full settings with no slowdown, That`s because I`ve upgraded twice since the first try.

If you want realistic fights in the skies along with some ground pounding go for IL2\46 and-or BOBwov which are well tested and proven.

leitmotiv
09-09-2007, 06:24 AM
yes its great game and alot of fun, the people of this community are just fanbois of maddox which is silly for a press one button to fly game like crimsonskies with similiar flight characteristics. Just like any wwii flight sim most are fun and enjoyable, cfs3 does many more important things better then this game. sound, weather, visability distance, flight model, weapons, weather, complex engine management and complex aircraft controls, differential braking for an example.

There is also alot of great freeware addons like MAW and Over Flanders Field plus thousands of aircraft to download, scenery etc.. basically all the fs9 x stuff can easily be converted to cfs3. Also the community in cfs3 are a great bunch of fellows who contribute for free like the aviation history and simouthouse people. The know what a community is rather then a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrable at flying this game. (no offense to anyone) Plus the only way this community contributes anything is free skins and missions in which the majority try to charge the price of the full game for here, and as you see above their responses just like most replies on these forums.

Im one of those who been flying these sims since chuck yeagars flight sim, red baron, aces over europe, aces over russia, aces over the pacific till current day.

Im one of those who like to help others out and not be particular to one game and love all flight sims. I think you will have alot of fun with it especially on todays computers. Back when cfs3 came out the faster computers were P2 400s amd athalons 600s etc and had studder problems on the deck, all thats been resolved long ago.

The ground attack role is alot of fun also cfs3 had alot of nice fx and addon fx, primary and secondary explosions etc in which il2 is simple like pong in that aspect. Try it out and let us know what you think of it really after metting the makers of over flanders field and maw, flying with them and on comms etc Then compair that to the majority of the fellows here and on comms who complain non stop which is irritating.

<o, enjoy

Hyperbole mixed with fact. Yes, MAW is a good product. Not as pretty as 46 by a long shot. But it is 1000% more immersive if you are flying a medium bomber at night, for example. Yes, there is a knee-jerk game xenophobia on this forum which belongs more to an elementary school mentality than adults. Stock CFS3 even with "Firepower" is a joke---though I have endured it at times to fly a Lancaster. Some of the add-ons are tiresomely hard to install, and not worth it once installed. You have got to be kidding about 46 being CRIMSON SKIES.

gdfo
09-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Loved CFS2.

Bought CFS3 the day it came out. Could never get it to run properly.

CFS3 there is VERY limited online play. Big Mistake. After installing it there were problems with playing CFS2 online. Contacted MS about it and it was never resolved.

CFS3 makes a good table coaster for putting a drink on.

Fireball_
09-09-2007, 07:02 AM
My experience was that the multiplayer for CFS3 was terrible compared to IL2. Planes would warp around all over the place. It was practically impossible to fly in formation.

Bearcat99
09-09-2007, 07:36 AM
yes its great game and alot of fun, the people of this community are just fanbois of maddox which is silly for a press one button to fly game like crimsonskies with similiar flight characteristics.

Why is it that when people who think CFS is all that come over hear and they start extolling it's virtues... they always have to start insulting those of us over here.... in THIS house who think that CFS is just an over priced piece of ****. Nobody starts calling you "MS fanbois.." or saying you are "silly" for wanting to fly a sim that you have to download a googob of ..... "box of choclate add ons" cause you never know what you are going to get.... or out right fabrications like this little gem:

The know what a community is rather then a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrable at flying this game. (no offense to anyone) Plus the only way this community contributes anything is free skins and missions in which the majority try to charge the price of the full game for here, and as you see above their responses just like most replies on these forums.

I guess all those free templates and missions and campaigns and utilities from Shift_E, CS, Uber D, Lowengren, Aces and I could go on for a few more paragraphs.. are just my imagination...... and what makes you think that this community is confined to this forum? This community goes from here.. to Netwings, SimHQ, Frugals... and more. WE come to this thread and answer the guys questions about CFS3... and YOU come here and feel the need to rag US... not just the sim but US as well.... think about it. You talk about our flying skills.... our intelligence.. after all most of us are just clueless old geezers right....? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif and you have the balls to actually compare this sim to Crimson Skies..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif inm thye same sentence as CFS3..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

DD_crash
09-09-2007, 08:02 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

DKoor
09-09-2007, 08:14 AM
CFS2 was a MUCH better product out of the box.
but CFS3 and for the price they want STILL.. is just NOT worth it. +1

DKoor
09-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Silly FM/Dm arguing aside, IL-2 is still the best flite sim outhere so best, pwns all teh rest that it's not even funnay.

VonGrantoven
09-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Why is it that when people who think CFS is all that come over hear and they start extolling it's virtues... they always have to start insulting those of us over here....

I totally agree with you on this, Bearcat.
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion (I gave you my thoughts on the issue already, even knowing they probably weren't shared by the majority here), but I think it is totally out of line to attack the folk on this forum in that manner.
I am new here myself, but up till now I have found people on this board to be very friendly and helpful. I certainly haven't seen any evidence that its run, by "clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all".

DustyBarrels, though I may agree with a few points you made, much of your tirade was sheer provactive exageration which hurts your credibility, and has probably done more to turn the original poster off CFS3 than interest him in it.
I have been playing flight sims aces over Europe and PAW/EAW and am always interested in comparing the features of each one, as none of them are perfect. Cheap slander on the other hand is neither helpul nor amusing.

Muchaclopiec, if you are interested in seeing this very topic from the other side of the fence, you may want to have a look here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41185&highlight=1946

~S
VonG

jensenpark
09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DustyBarrels77:
yes its great game and alot of fun, the people of this community are just fanbois of maddox which is silly for a press one button to fly game like crimsonskies with similiar flight characteristics.

Why is it that when people who think CFS is all that come over hear and they start extolling it's virtues... they always have to start insulting those of us over here.... in THIS house who think that CFS is just an over priced piece of ****. Nobody starts calling you "MS fanbois.." or saying you are "silly" for wanting to fly a sim that you have to download a googob of ..... "box of choclate add ons" cause you never know what you are going to get.... or out right fabrications like this little gem:

The know what a community is rather then a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrable at flying this game. (no offense to anyone) Plus the only way this community contributes anything is free skins and missions in which the majority try to charge the price of the full game for here, and as you see above their responses just like most replies on these forums.

I guess all those free templates and missions and campaigns and utilities from Shift_E, CS, Uber D, Lowengren, Aces and I could go on for a few more paragraphs.. are just my imagination...... and what makes you think that this community is confined to this forum? This community goes from here.. to Netwings, SimHQ, Frugals... and more. WE come to this thread and answer the guys questions about CFS3... and YOU come here and feel the need to rag US... not just the sim but US as well.... think about it. You talk about our flying skills.... our intelligence.. after all most of us are just clueless old geezers right....? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif and you have the balls to actually compare this sim to Crimson Skies..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif inm thye same sentence as CFS3..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said BC...though alot more polite than I would be.

Neil Young had a song out a while ago that sums up CFS3 perfectly for me:

"Piece Of Cr*p"

Tried to save the trees
Bought a platsic bag
The bottom fell out
It was a piece of cr*p

Saw it on the tube
Bought it on the phone
Now you're home alone
It's a piece of cr*p

I tried to plug in it
I tried to turn it on
When I got it home
It was a piece of cr*p

Got it from a friend
On him you can depend
I found out in the end
It was a piece of cr*p

I'm trying to save the trees
I saw it on TV
They cut the forest down
To build a piece of cr*p

I went back to the store
They gave me four more
The guy told me at the door
It's a piece of cr*p

amilaninia
09-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by steve_v:
Since the gloves are off, I bought it and resold it the next week. Its not my cup of tea. IMHO, it sux! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
Consider yourself lucky, I tried to get rid of mine without success, even EB Games consider it worth less. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I tried MAW 1.1 and 1.2,and with all respect to its dessert rats developing team, still it's same ***** with different maps and planes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Going back to Il-2 after trying CFS 3 or MAW is like waking up from a nightmare to the real life. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Von_Rat
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
The know what a community is rather then a forum run by clueless 40-50 year olds who think they know it all who really are horrable at flying this game.
__________________________________________________ ______________

why dont we have a little one on one, and i'll show you just how horrible this 51 year old is at flying this game.

DuxCorvan
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
The only remarkable thing I find about CFS3 is that its ability to disenchant me is still as fresh as the day I uninstalled it.

I could try other pieces of very obsolescent software -such as SWOTL, AOTP, CYAC, TFH or even CFS1- right now, and still have a good time with them, but thinking about CFS3 just discourages me about installing it again.

Monty_Thrud
09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Please don't mention the MCF$3 word...it brings on my nervous twitching eye http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Try Crimson Skies (http://www.microsoft.com/games/crimsonskies/) instead...why they havent done a new version is beyond me.

Warrington_Wolf
09-09-2007, 03:07 PM
If you want to experience CFS3 on your computer I suggest that you open up the case and take a dump inside your PC, because it would be the same thing.
You need the most powerful computer in the world to get a decent frame rate and acceptable graphics, and it still looks like a diarrhoea mess. The cockpits are a mixed bag too, some look ok (not brilliant but just OK) and others such as the P-51, Me-109 and the P-47 are shockingly bad. According to CFS3 central London is 50% buildings and 50% trees and woodland, in fact all the towns and cities are poorly made. In IL-2 a city, town or even a village LOOKS like a city, town or village and not just a random mess on the landscape. The FM and damge moddeling could (and judging by it, it probably was) have been made by a five year old. When the pilot is shot, "Pilot is hit" is shown in red writing at the top of the screen and that is it, no other indication showing injury (red screen, black screen for example). No matter where you are hit, your controls become sluggish even if the control surfaces have not been hit. The level bombing in CFS3 is completely brainless, all you have to do is keep the plane straight and level. You line up the target in the bombsight and manually releaseyour load, you do not have to calibrate the bombsight (in fact you don't have an option).
The campaign is repetetive, boring and sometimes just outright f**ked up, your enemy can be on its arse before one mission and be all peachy when it is over even if you have completed your mission.
The sounds are a mixed bag too, some of the guns sound ok (the .303s and the .50s) sound ok but most of the guns sound wimpy (the massive gun on one of the mossies is a good example). The engine sounds are also very wimpy and I never thought that I would say this but the internal engine sounds in IL-2 are better, the aircraft sound like they are being powered by lawnmower engines.

To sum it up, it is the wost piece of flight sim software that I have EVER clapped eyes on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif.

Bearcat99
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jensenpark:
Well said BC...though alot more polite than I would be.

TY.... Politeness is easy..... and necessary if you want to keep dialog open and on target.

GerritJ9
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
CFS2 isn't bad, and has some features I like. The jungle on Sumatra or Malaya, for instance, looks much better than in FB/PF. There are some nice community-made mods available to improve details such as 15" guns for Singapore- not available in FB/PF. Also, the community offers planes that FBPF lacks such as the Ki.44 and Ki.45.
Cockpits are dreadful, flight/damage models poor. CFS3 which, as a later sim, should have improved matters, is a waste of time- it is not an improvement but a retrograde step. As for adding OFF to CFS3 to get a WW1 sim, I respect the hard work done by those who made OFF, but Wings of War, with available community-made mods, is better despite its box-stock arcade mode- the graphics, for one, leave CFS3 for dead.
CFS2 is still on my computer, CFS3 isn't.

SeaFireLIV
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:

There's something to be said about the virtual ERGONOMICS of IL2. For me I can feel it when I sit in other sim's cockpits. There a level of immediate comfortableness in IL2 that lets you concntrate on flying, rather than feel uncomfortable and distracted. I can't explain it any other way. I get the same feeling in BoB WoV.....though I give that a much better grade the CFS. There community is top notch too.

Agreed, there`s a special something about IL2 that makes it feel this way. It is hard to describe. How to make something not real feel real, even though it`s only an illusion on screen?

It takes very careful programming.

IL2 and BObwov have managed to capture that `in the cockpit` feeling.

major_setback
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Good for rocket attacks, and the ground objects are of excellent quality, you can detroy shipyards, V1 sites, nice railway stations etc. Explosions are wonderful, trains emit steam if you straffe them.
Roads are curved like in real life, which makes straffing vehicles more fun, and there always seems to be plenty going on, trains and convoys passing etc.
Air to Air combat is no good at all, and the game never runs very well for me even with the patch, which was my biggest issue with it. I could take a small stutter or two, but the game seems to do more than that, it hangs for a moment then skips a fraction of a second, which is very annoying.
Rocket attacks/straffing with the view zoomed in are great fun. There are many exploding ground objects.
Aircraft are nicely modelled for exterior views, but the angle of view is terrible - wide angled, distorted.
It's a bit of fun for a few days at least, and you should bare that in mind when purchasing it. I personally had a month or two of enjoyment out of it and think it was worth buying.
It's not as good as IL2/FB, but nothing is! Only buy it if you don't mind putting it aside after a while.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/img/screens/ss34.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/img/screens/ss19.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/img/screens/ss18.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/img/screens/ss12.jpg

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0902/cfs3_screenshots/bail05.jpg

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0902/cfs3_screenshots/bail07.jpg

stalkervision
09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I like the cool jet exhaust effects in cfs 3.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hear that Oleg? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by tagTaken2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

S!

No, good call.

CFS3 made me feel like I was flying a beige box across a stuttery, pixellated Europe. At the time I didn't have much else for comparison, but it still didn't feel right.
Il-2, from the moment I tried the demo, always gives the feeling you are there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgrt, IL2 like Lomac gives you the feeling of speed that I have not found in another sim.

CFS 3 certainly had some promising pros but for me the cons simply outweighed them. Now if there was a combat sim using the Shockwave WW2 addon for FS9, that would get my attention in a hurry.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM

<o, enjoy

Hate to be rude but I must say it...another clueless noob who knows nothing about this sim nor its community. And as far as being horrible at this sim I will gladly challenge you to a 1v1 FR settings any time. You just let me know. And as always tracks will be recorded and posted.

This community has contributed more to this series then you could possibly imagine. Your ignorance is sad and almost amusing.

S!

Bremspropeller
09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Honestly, I never realized CFS3's graphics suck so much http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Skycat_2
09-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Major Setback pointed out some of the good features of CFS-3. The ground attack and strafing missions are fun. I'd take the screenshots with a grain of salt though; those are Microsoft's pre-release publicity images. Notice the human figures standing near the Jagdpanther in the third screen down; the infantrymen and artillery crewmen were disabled in the final release. Modders quickly figured out how to reinstate them though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The screenshots do point out a frustrating reality of CFS-3 though: The vehicles are ridiculously overdetailed. As a confirmed 'tread head' I initially thought it was great fun to taxi up to an M-16 AA halftrack or M-10 tank destroyer and marvel at the details including the driver. In actual gameplay this is a hugely misappropriated use of polygons and textures because you can't switch to views of other aircraft or ground targets anyhow like you can in IL-2 (or EAW or Jane's WWII Fighters or B-17II or ... well, about any sim you can name). In the end all you ever see are multi-colored specks.

* As an interesting aside, many of these vehicles were given FMs by modders and made drivable to some degree. Want to explore the countryside in a Jeep? There is even a couple of missions where you drive a Sherman onto Normandy Beach and use the guns to take out targets.

Anyhow, the screenshots above show you specialized, highly detailed sceneries like the refineries, V-1 sites, factories and aerodromes. Nintey-nine percent of the CFS-3 world is autogen however, just like with the FS series. The autogen houses look more like distorted Saltine boxes turned on their sides, and I've seen them populated sideways on mountains and cliff faces. I've also seen rail tracks, rivers and bridges set at impossible angles on mountains and hills.

The screenshots also show off where the pine-tree forests actually look somewhat normal. When they are used to create boundaries between agricultural fields or to populate the hills and mountains, they aren't so objectionable. In the flat lowlands, though, the dark green terrain textures, thinly spread trees and occasional leafless trunk combine to look like Bayou swamps.

Havok mentioned his hope that Shockwave would port their WWII fighters for FS9 into CFS-3. This was long been a source of frustration for me and I'm sure for other CFS-3 users--why not make their P-47s or Fw190As usable in CFS-3, preferably to replace the stock versions? The game was advertised as a tactical air war sim; Shockwave tried to make it a decent strategic bomber sim with very nice B-17s, B-24s, Lancasters and ... B-29s with atom bombs??? FirePower's unfocused collection of early war fighters and late war Luftwaffe designs is rivaled only by the Ace Expansion Pack. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Yeah, FirePower is largely a Luftwaffe '46 Spankfest.

Anyhow, I petitioned many times at SimHQ CFS-3 forums and at Shockwave's forums to make the Wings of Power P-47, P-51 and Fw190A flyable in CFS-3. Finally Scott Gentile (aka Blade124, the CFS-3 forum moderator at SimHQ) got tired of my repeated requests and said something like, "I love the P-47 too, but it would take too much time to convert and we're working on our own advanced game engine right now." Funny thing is, a while later they converted the original Wings of Power P-51D as a CFS-3 bonus on their Aircraft Power Pack ...

Flyby_99
09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
It seems that many here don't like cfs3. Actually I enjoy a spin in it every now and then (at least when my system is running). It's better than CFS2 in that you can't modify the flight model then go online and fly a supersonic Mustang, for instance. I also like that it supports tir-6dof. I think the clouds are just fine, and you can adjust them and many features to get good frame rates, iirc. I wonder how many people would fly cfs3 online if it were as easy as hooking up in Hyperlobby? Given the many addons (don't forget the Korean War add-on, another freebie), one can fly about anywhere, in about any era. And really, the scenery doesn't seem bad at all. Yeah maybe the AI is a bit doofus, but then we complain about the AI here too. And running cfs3 on my machine was no more a burden than running IL2 was. Just work the config file a bit, like IL2, and there ya go. It seems enough people still fly it and mod it, so it can't be that bad a piece of (add your insult here)as most seem to make out.
No sim is perfect, and we all here just need to check out Oleg's ready room to find the problems people have with this one. For what is is, it just doesn't seem that bad to me, though I like IL2 better, particularly for the online play where I'ev met so many good people (in HL).
Still, flying the F86 against the MiG15, while using tir's 6dof is remembered fondly by me. Anyone else? Buy it, but get a better price than was qouted.
Flyby out

BaronUnderpants
09-10-2007, 01:06 PM

S!

Yah, same feeling as i got trying out BoB only there it felt like the plane was glued onto a stick and the sky revolved arround it.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
After scanning through some of the responses It seems that those who like CFS 3 always find it necessary to insult those of us who do not like it. Remember that these forums are dedicated to IL2 and the thread starter ask our opinion of the game, not the other way around. Some of you take offense on a personal level that that we do not like CFS3. If you like the game then fine go ahead and describe why you do and attempt to justify a purchase of it to a new user. But do not feel you need to insult the community in doing so. I did not see anyone here insult CFS users for liking the game. He ask for our opinion of the game and we are giving it. Many of us purhcased CFS 3 as soon as it it hit the shelves and were excited about doing so. Many of us have given the game several opportunities and have tried all the so called good mods and addons. In the end the game simply does not offer us any enjoyment whatsoever but yet some still attempt to change our opinions. Once again this is the IL2 forums and the poster is free to go over to the CFS3 forums and ask their opinion of the game. State you opinion and move along and please leave the unnecessary personal insults to yourselves, as it does not do anything to promote your cause. If anything it hurts it.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
The screenshots do point out a frustrating reality of CFS-3 though: The vehicles are ridiculously overdetailed.

No kidding, as many of the vehicles look better then the actual planes you fly. I would rather have a stunning flyable plane model. I have never really been concerned how well the ground models look. I know Oleg is planing some excellent looking vehicles for SoW but the plane certainly will not suffer because of it. And by the time SoW is ready the hardware will more then be ready for such detail.

S!

stalkervision
09-10-2007, 02:05 PM
The only problem I ever had with cfs3 was that with all their resources one would think microsoft would make one hell of a combat flight sim that would kick everyone else to the curb... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

microsoft what are you thinking? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

horseback
09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Back when cfs3 came out the faster computers were P2 400s amd athalons 600s etc and had studder problems on the deck, all thats been resolved long ago. Odd, I bought CFS3 the week it came out and I was playing on an Athlon XP 1800+ at the time, with a GeForce ti4200 video card, and it was vastly inferior to the original Il-2 Sturmovik. After a good week of fiddling and fussing, I took it back to CompUSA and got my fifty bucks back.

No offense, Dusty, but you know less than half of what you think you know.

cheers

horseback

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Back when cfs3 came out the faster computers were P2 400s amd athalons 600s etc and had studder problems on the deck, all thats been resolved long ago. Odd, I bought CFS3 the week it came out and I was playing on an Athlon XP 1800+ at the time, with a GeForce ti4200 video card, and it was vastly inferior to the original Il-2 Sturmovik. After a good week of fiddling and fussing, I took it back to CompUSA and got my fifty bucks back.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgrt I think I was running a P4 1.5Ghz, 740MB Ram, Soundblaster live, and a G4 TI 4400 8x AGP.

S!

knightflyte
09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I had a PIV 2.4GHz. with an Nvidea GeForce 4600. I bought it in May of that year. (2002)

By the time CFS came out procs were about 2.8 GHz, hyperthreaded running on a 533 front side bus.

TheGozr
09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Well the terrain design can be far better than il2 .. no doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxJGeOGNwek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSH-ojjOmhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X6JHwg8o0s

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TheGozr:
Well the terrain design can be far better than il2 .. no doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxJGeOGNwek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSH-ojjOmhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X6JHwg8o0s

Must be an eye of the beholder thing.

S!

TheGozr
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Nope..

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Yep. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TheGozr
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Nope. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You don't have My CFS3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Nope. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You don't have My CFS3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Exactly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

TheGozr
09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
The original out of the box is not good at all.. Then after it can become good after lots of hours and days of work.

Bakelit
09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I got CFS3 20 months ago for OFF 1.0. The few hours I played I could not get into it, though for me it was certainly better than "Fighter Squadron:SDOE" out of the box. As a mostly off-liner and Mig Alley and BoB:WoV player I found the enemy and friendly AI abysmal. Ground attack as some stated is quite nice from time to time.

However I now have OFF Phase 2 installed and that mod rocks if you want WW1. Never play the original anymore but love my Albatros.

Good things it has:
Visually spoken the Firepower add-on brings some quite nice effects and I wish 1946 had the specularity maps for skins, too. With the WW1 aircraft you can have reflective metal cowlings and matte canvas or different shades of glossyness. That feature would make Il2 skins look even better and should have been added with one of the patches. Also would be nice if some of the older Il2 cockpits could be skinned.

Skycat_2
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
A few dozen posts back I stated that the gunsight in the the CFS-3 was 'fictitious amalgam of designs' or something to that effect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CF_K-14v2.jpg

For all of these years I have been under the impression that the reflector plate, reticle and crash pad represent a K-14 while the base was a loose interpretation of a Mk.VIII reflector sight, sans the back up ring sight usually attached at the side.

But then I found this last night in one of my books:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/P47M_K-14_YanksMuseum.jpg

The photo is from a restored P-47M at Yanks Museum, Chino, California circa. 1998.

Sorry I doubted you, Microsoft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

stalkervision
09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
shame..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TheCrux
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I have it ( with some easy tweaks and the Firepower add-on, as well as some 1% AvHistory A/C ) and enjoy it very much. Enjoying it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of IL-2 in the least...and vise-versa. They co-exist on my machine with no apparent ill effects.

Both have great scenery and effects. I do like the actual flying feel/FM of IL-2 ( feels more accurate ), but not enough for me to dismiss CFS3 out of hand, much less as a matter of IL-2 solidarity.

Back to the original topic:

"Is CFS3 any good?" Yes. And if one is willing to mod the game and they're happy with it...so effing what?

I just happen to prefer IL-2 a bit more, but then again, there is room for shades of gray in my world.

SeaFireLIV
09-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TheCrux:

but not enough for me to dismiss CFS3 out of hand, much less as a matter of IL-2 solidarity.

It`s not about IL2 solidarity. Is that what it looks like? is that why some get so upset when we say a game is bad? If CFS3 was good, I`d post and say it was good without shame, just like I post and say that BOBwov is good without shame. I do not tailer what I think of a game to suit the IL2 community.

And even less with some other subjects - (and I`ve had some hate me for it too, I can tell you).

TheCrux
09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCrux:

but not enough for me to dismiss CFS3 out of hand, much less as a matter of IL-2 solidarity.

It`s not about IL2 solidarity. Is that what it looks like? is that why some get so upset when we say a game is bad? If CFS3 was good, I`d post and say it was good without shame, just like I post and say that BOBwov is good without shame. I do not tailer what I think of a game to suit the IL2 community.

And even less with some other subjects - (and I`ve had some hate me for it too, I can tell you). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do give the nod to IL2, but I don't feel the CFS3 sucks mantra is de-rigueur while preferring IL2. The venom spewed at CFS3 on this BB is most apparent, and so yes, it certainly does have a very party line type solidarity feel to it. I don't see near a fraction the IL-2 bashing on CFS3 forums as the other way around.

*******Hear me well*******

I like IL2 ( both original and 1946 ) better, but as I have said, there is room for shades of gray in my world. IL2 gets the nod, but CFS3 does NOT suck.

SeaFireLIV
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM

...but CFS3 does NOT suck.

Sorry, but it does. Big time. I`ve wasted enough of my life on it to beat you money on it.

knightflyte
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Like I said I tried CFS before IL2. I obviously must not have been satisfied to purchase another game with a very ugly plane on the cover. Made by RUSSIANS on top of that.

My first impression of IL2 when I fired it up was: "Wow! This is a cockpit."

My second was that this runs VERY VERY stable with a decent amount of detail on land and cities.

While there is a sence of barren landscape the 3d environments of the city and industrial settings immersed me more than CFS. I always felt like the cities et al in CFS looked like cardboard cutouts placed on a green/brown tablecloth.

I DO agree with a poster above who showed pics of the mountain areas of CFS. I remember flying online and it was almost as thrilling avoiding an enemy as it was dodging mountain caps. If the mesh was tighter it would look grand.

I think I'm in line with how a lot of folks here 'feel' about CFS. I beleive most of us tried it and found the product lacking. To put in IL2 and have the experience we had right out of the box compared to so much tweaking, and whatever else each player found lacking in their own personal experience with CFS was the nail in the coffin for many CFS3 purchasers.

It's not a 1C Maddox Games/ Microsoft CFS thing for me. It's personal preference based on my experiences.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
It's not a 1C Maddox Games/ Microsoft CFS thing for me. It's personal preference based on my experiences.

Thazrite...some people for some odd reason can not seem to accept this.

S!

Yambretta
09-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Would love to try it out,
I have CFS3 with both the Firepower and DDay add on packs and in the last 4 years it has failed to work on any of my last 3 pc's.

Same problem on all machines in that every time I crash get a fiery explosion then whole thing locks up.

It does this whether add on are installed or not.

I did phone microsoft help line and ermm lets just say they was as much use as a chocolate teapot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Slice
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Yambretta
Ask the question on sim-outhouse.com in the CFs3 forum.

There's a link to the Over Flanders Fields sub forum from the OFF home page

http://www.overflandersfields.com

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10557

Over Flanders Fields is the best WW1 option right now, completely changes CFS3 world. Immersion in spades.
They are even working on taking the last remaining CF3 annoyances with Phase 3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW no need for this sim that sim arguments, you can fly more than one sim you know without being struck down by the sim gods http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MrMojok
09-12-2007, 02:58 AM
I don't know why so many of the regs in this thread are being so polite.

I'll be glad to insult CFS3 lovers. For days if you like.

PM me.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
I don't know why so many of the regs in this thread are being so polite.

I'll be glad to insult CFS3 lovers. For days if you like.

PM me.

Nah dont stoop to their level Mo. If you let them go they make fools of themselves without our help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-12-2007, 03:07 AM
BTW no need for this sim that sim arguments, you can fly more than one sim you know without being struck down by the sim gods Wink

Now you tell me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

S!

MrMojok
09-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Yah I was kidding. Don't fill up my PM box please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-12-2007, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Yah I was kidding. Don't fill up my PM box please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You may be too late...lol.

S!

Il2ACE
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM

<o, enjoy

You obviously never played Il2. I have had CFS3 and Il2 and I have to say IL2 beats CF$3 in every aspects. Here is how I compare them.
IL2:
Flight Models
Damage Models
Graphics
Effects
Sounds
CFS3:
Downloadable aircraft and maps.
Bugs.

jensenpark
09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
IL2ACE:

CFS3 disc also makes a better drink coaster.

You need to add that to the column

Worf101
09-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I've been tempted to buy CFS3 for years but the price never, ever seemd to drop. I almost bought it once I read the reviews of "Firepower" but couldn't find that add-on in this country so I let it go. OFF also intrigued me but again the cost of the original set me off. When AMD get's it's act together next year I'll build a whole new rig, after that I might give CFS3 a whirl if I can score a good used copy and get ahold of Firepower. I like to keep an open mind on these things.

Da Worfster

Il2ACE
09-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jensenpark:
IL2ACE:

CFS3 disc also makes a better drink coaster.

You need to add that to the column
Or a Frisbee. It cost coffee or flies like no other software.

terriblysilly
09-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Hello! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have played CFS3 Firepower. I must tell you that it is not nearly so good as is IL-2. The only advantage are awards and pilot experience points (to customize your pilot's skills).

But I would say to you: yes, get CFS3! Why? Only for this: Over Flanders Fields. So much fun! I love WWI flight simulator more than WW2 flight simulator, so I am biased maybe. But it is very very good mod! It makes CFS3 into whole new game. Very fun!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
09-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
I've been tempted to buy CFS3 for years but the price never, ever seemd to drop. I almost bought it once I read the reviews of "Firepower" but couldn't find that add-on in this country so I let it go. OFF also intrigued me but again the cost of the original set me off. When AMD get's it's act together next year I'll build a whole new rig, after that I might give CFS3 a whirl if I can score a good used copy and get ahold of Firepower. I like to keep an open mind on these things.

Da Worfster

Not worth it, even with FirePower. Fire Power adds effects, but doesn`t fix the numerous glaring faults, which what i was hoping. Therfore it failes badly to be a flight sim and should be called `An exercise in frustration and disappointment`.

And yes, I am too polite. It deserves worst than my polite English attitude will give it.

gdfo
09-22-2007, 04:15 PM
What some of you might find interesting.

Last week by chance I had the opportunity to talk to some Microsoft people in person.

The conversation turned to gaming and was very animated. I did ask if there was going to be a 'CFS4'. Several of the people became quit silent and one other laughed.
One of the quiet thoughtful ones said 'I do not think so,at least there is not one under developtment'.
Then I asked why. The answer was, 'that russian guy is hard to beat'.

SeaFireLIV
09-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by gdfo:

Then I asked why. The answer was, 'that russian guy is hard to beat'.

If what you say is true, I think that sums it up for ALL rival WWII aircraft sim makers to be honest.

joeap
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
You might want to edit your post dude, just some friendly advice.

DKoor
09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by muchaclopiec:
I saw MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 for $27 AU the other day..i dont know much about the sim, other than its meant to be something of a lame duck, but ive heard there is a fairly decent WW1 add available.

cheers Buy CFS2 it's twice the sim CFS3 is.

CFS2 was a great sim for its time.
Really enjoyable.
I think even today I could be able to play it.

Bearcat99
09-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Trust me Dave.

stalkervision
09-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muchaclopiec:

cheers Buy CFS2 it's twice the sim CFS3 is.

CFS2 was a great sim for its time.
Really enjoyable.
I think even today I could be able to play it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya cfs 2 is really good... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

tsisqua
09-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I see that after about a year this thread is still here.

I gave away my copy of CFS3.

I've been spoiled by "that russian guy".

Thanks Oleg.

I miss the days when we were all interested in assisting in research, as Oleg came here to ask our help, as well as what we would like to see added. (I don't blame him one bit for being scarce these days)

10 year-old game engine, and still the best thing out there.

Phenomenal!!!!

Hooray for the Russian guy!!!!

Tsisqua

ViktorViktor
09-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Has anyone got a link to the main CFS3 site ? I'm not going to harass them, I would just like to see how the CFS3 gaming community is.

Maybe it's like bizarro IL2 community ?

major_setback
09-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
Has anyone got a link to the main CFS3 site ? I'm not going to harass them, I would just like to see how the CFS3 gaming community is.

I don't know if there is a microsoft forum for CFS3 but you can try these:

http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=9

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=7&styleid=5

Skycat_2
09-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by tsisqua:
I see that after about a year this thread is still here.

Check the date of the opening post.

But otherwise, yeah, almost five years have passed and we're still qualifying 'how much better' IL-2 is than CFS-3. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VonGrantoven
09-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:

If you are interested, here is a thread comparing CFS3 and IL2 from the other side of the fence.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41185&highlight=1946

If you are curious as to why the people over there are still playing CFS3, drop in and say hi and tell em your thoughts on the matter.
They are a good bunch of fellas over there, and I am sure you will get a civil response.

jayo1
09-23-2007, 05:03 AM
IMO the recent mods for cfs3 have finally done the game justice,i have MAW and OFF installed and am very impressed with the difference they have made to the immersion factor,particulary OFF which in effect has totally transformed cfs3 into virtually a brand new sim.Anyone wanting to experience WW1 flying combat really should try OverFlandersFields.

Slice
09-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Good scenery in OFF now http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7/ball5xc6.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ball5xc6.jpg)
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2188/ashot17ks2.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ashot17ks2.jpg)

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
My curious side has got the best of me as I reinstalled CFS3 and I am now downloading MAW. I also ordered BoBII WoV the other day since I traded mine in way back, a month or so after I bought it and have never had the chance to try the latest patches. Im really looking forward to it after reading everyones praises about it. So as you can see Im not a biased simmer and open to any sim as long as its good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif CFS3 and BoB was simply not good when and even months after they shipped. Thanks to the hard work of the games devs BoBII has greatly improved which shows that like Oleg they care about their customers. CFS3 apparently only gets good with the hard work of 3rdy party devs. Its ashame MS did not give a ratass about their product or its customers, what did they release...one patch?

S!

stalkervision
09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
My curious side has got the best of me as I reinstalled CFS3 and I am now downloading MAW. I also ordered BoBII WoV the other since I traded mine in way back a month or so after I bought it and have never had the chance to try the latest patches. Im really looking forward to it after reading everyones praises about it. So as you can see Im not a biased simmer and open to any sim as long as its good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif CFS3 and BoB was simply not good when and even months after they shipped. Thanks to the hard work of the games devs BoBII has greatly improved which shows that like Oleg they care about their customers. CFS3 apparently only gets good with the hard work of 3rdy party devs. Its ashame MS did not give a ratass about their product or its customers, what did they release...one patch?

S!

welcome over to BOBWOV once again. Too bad the first versions were incomplete. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I had a similiar experiance in the begining to yours. Now with the patches and the absolutely outstanding game support shockwave gives all it's members just for the asking and the new improvements coming every day to the game it is a real joy to use.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

I like your attitude buddy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I believe I will set up my CFS3 to use MAW like you are doing also..

leitmotiv
09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
My curious side has got the best of me as I reinstalled CFS3 and I am now downloading MAW. I also ordered BoBII WoV the other since I traded mine in way back a month or so after I bought it and have never had the chance to try the latest patches. Im really looking forward to it after reading everyones praises about it. So as you can see Im not a biased simmer and open to any sim as long as its good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif CFS3 and BoB was simply not good when and even months after they shipped. Thanks to the hard work of the games devs BoBII has greatly improved which shows that like Oleg they care about their customers. CFS3 apparently only gets good with the hard work of 3rdy party devs. Its ashame MS did not give a ratass about their product or its customers, what did they release...one patch?

S!

Hot damn, HaVoK, welcome to the club! BOB II won't make you stop lusting for BOB the SOW, but it has some advantages. The huge brawls with massed bomber formations are worth it. MAW can be fun. I like the French aircraft for a change of pace. Lots of bombers. They fixed the useless CFS3 FM so it isn't poisonous. Good luck!

P.S. Hey, I know what you mean about the original BOB II. A month after I got it right after it came out I frisbeed the SOB into the trash.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

S!

Hot damn, HaVoK, welcome to the club! BOB II won't make you stop lusting for BOB the SOW, but it has some advantages. The huge brawls with massed bomber formations are worth it. MAW can be fun. I like the French aircraft for a change of pace. Lots of bombers. They fixed the useless CFS3 FM so it isn't poisonous. Good luck!

P.S. Hey, I know what you mean about the original BOB II. A month after I got it right after it came out I frisbeed the SOB into the trash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I already got me a folder setup for BoBII patches and mods and already have a few downloaded so Im ready. I got that new multiskin patch and a terrain patch as well. BoBII should be back in my hands Friday I hope. Just in time for the weekend!

PS. Thanks for the warm welcome Stalker and Leit! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

stalkervision
09-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Your very very welcome HaVoK. Welcome to the club buddy.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=

SeaFireLIV
09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
BOBwov is defintely worth the time. Graphics are ... different, but don`t let that detract you from the substance. there are a lot of nice stuff about WOV that IL2 simply doesn`t have. WOV is in some ways better designed for offline than IL2....

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
Your very very welcome HaVoK. Welcome to the club buddy.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
BOBwov is defintely worth the time. Graphics are ... different, but don`t let that detract you from the substance. there are a lot of nice stuff about WOV that IL2 simply doesn`t have. WOV is in some ways better designed for offline than IL2....

This go around I will be able to max the settings in BoB out, thanks new my fresh new Sapphire HD 2900XT. And please tell me it runs at 1680x1050. I also seen some nice terrain mods and such. Is there a lot of mods for the sim? Thanks fellas!

S!

woofiedog
09-28-2007, 01:33 AM
VMF-214_HaVoK... Don't forget a stop over at CombatAce after you pick up WoV.

CombatAce (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads)

Also...

Column5 (http://www.column5.us/index.htm)

And one more that is from Lexx_Luthor... try out the Cirrus Clouds for SF/WoV maps.

Environmental Mods (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=164)

leitmotiv... You can also get a few aircraft in the air with UberDemon! LoL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot178.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot179.jpg

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks Woofie! Bookmarked!

S!

woofiedog
09-28-2007, 02:51 AM
No problem... I should have added this to the list also... this makes life a lot easier when downloading these add-ons.

7 Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Also there is one more utility for opening up files for setting up the Cirrus Clouds...

SFP1E File Extract Util (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=343)

Bearcat99
09-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Honestly, I never realized CFS3's graphics suck so much http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

That has always been a problem for me in all the MS products.. up high it is decent.. on a good rig it is actually stunning .. and I like the real world maps and all.... but down low.. that mottled effect just turns me off.

The only problem I ever had with cfs3 was that with all their resources one would think microsoft would make one hell of a combat flight sim that would kick everyone else to the curb... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
microsoft what are you thinking? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

My sentiments as well. I was so disappointed with CFS3 out of the box. Mind you also that in the beginning there were no 1% planes and no patch.. I had started flying IL2 @ 2 weeks before I finally got CFS3, which I had upgraded my rig for and since I could now run IL2 with the new specs (The old rig wasn't even close and it would choke on CFS1 on certain maps so ...) and I was hungry for something different. I had no intention of leaving CFS.. but after flying IL2 for just 2 weeks I just couldn't go back to any of the MSCFSs.

Originally posted by horseback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Back when cfs3 came out the faster computers were P2 400s amd athalons 600s etc and had studder problems on the deck, all thats been resolved long ago. Odd, I bought CFS3 the week it came out and I was playing on an Athlon XP 1800+ at the time, with a GeForce ti4200 video card, and it was vastly inferior to the original Il-2 Sturmovik. After a good week of fiddling and fussing, I took it back to CompUSA and got my fifty bucks back.
cheers
horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a XP1600 on a 9000 Pro. Not only that Amazon took so long to ship CFS3 once it came out that I went to the store and bought it... when my Amazon copy finally arrived I sent it back unopened since I knew the sim was not worth the cost of one purchase let alone two.

The original out of the box is not good at all.. Then after it can become good after lots of hours and days of work.

That was another thing that got on my nerves when I tried to give it another shot after @ the 4th or 5th time... there were so many add ons I had to wade through and no one could tell me which ones were right or how to install them.. then too I had my MSFFB2 issue.. that try though I might I still cannot solve... it still does it even in FSX. Especially back then the level of developer support was another factor that sold me on IL2.. When I saw Oleg Maddox on Hyperlobby at least once a week.. it just blew my mind... Friday updates... and the locked code were all things that got me hooked into this series and which were totally absent from any other sim at the time and since I believe..

I do give the nod to IL2, but I don't feel the CFS3 sucks mantra is de-rigueur while preferring IL2. The venom spewed at CFS3 on this BB is most apparent, and so yes, it certainly does have a very party line type solidarity feel to it........
I like IL2 ( both original and 1946 ) better, but as I have said, there is room for shades of gray in my world. IL2 gets the nod, but CFS3 does NOT suck.

What venom? I see absolutely no venom on this thread.. other than the much warranted opinion of many that CFS3 is not a good product. If there is any venom it is not spouted by anyone here.. and if our justified criticism of the sim is taken as venom then ... you need thinner skin. Again as I said to Dusty... the whole "party line" bit.. it all is just so insulting and totally unnecessary just because most of us here do not care for the sim.. that doesnt make us anything other than people who prefer 1C Maddox sims over MS sims.. period. Not fools or mindless brainwashed automatons...

Originally posted by Worf101:
Da Worfster

By that time BoB will be out hopefully.... and we will be at the next level of flight sinmming.

leitmotiv
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, WD, Uberdemon is fantastic.

woofiedog
09-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Honestly, I never realized CFS3's graphics suck so much

Uhmmmm... a couple of CFS2 screen shots...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot171.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot174.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot155.jpg

han freak solo
09-30-2007, 11:51 AM
CFS2 was my favorite before the IL2 franchise.

Those aircraft graphics look better than I remember. How about some cockpit shots?

stalkervision
09-30-2007, 12:33 PM
I always liked CFS 2 except I can't land on carriers worth sh-it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

woofiedog
09-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Will posted some cockpit shots a bit later... have to run out with my son just now. He's picking up one of those Toyota Prius's.

knightflyte
09-30-2007, 02:00 PM

and....

<A HREF="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=" TARGET=_blank>http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=</A>

Curse you Stalkervision, I'll be whistling this one for days. LOL

stalkervision
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:

and....

<A HREF="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=" TARGET=_blank>http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=jHPOzQzk9Qo&mode=related&search=</A>

Curse you Stalkervision, I'll be whistling this one for days. LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"always look on the bright side of life..." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

woofiedog
09-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Well he bought the Prius... but that on board navigation system talk's way to much! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Anyway... here is a cockpit of the P1Y2S Kyokko addon aircraft and must say that it does vary from aircraft to aircraft. Some better than other's... it's not IL-2 or for say Icing on the Cake. But the people who do these addon's for Free do a Great job in my opinion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot015-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot014.jpg

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-30-2007, 11:25 PM
That actually dont look too bad for a dated engine and being free its pretty decent.

S!

stalkervision
10-01-2007, 04:55 AM
I agree... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

woofiedog
10-01-2007, 05:59 AM
One more Ride that's available with CFS2...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot020-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot018.jpg

stalkervision
10-01-2007, 06:05 AM
wish Il-2 had Japanese twin engine fighterbombers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

han freak solo
10-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the pics Woofie!

Those are pretty nice. Another feature I liked in CFS2 was the EZ Breezy mission builder.

Could you post up some links for the old CFS2 stuff?

woofiedog
10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
stalkervision... Check out the rear fuselage on both the P1Y2S & Ki-45. Upward firing cannon... Bomber Killer's! LoL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In the first cockpit screen shot of the P1Y2S... you can see the gun sight at the top of the windscreen.

han freak solo... a bit later today after some running around. I'll post a few sites.

CFS2 isn't IL-2 by any means... but it does offer some Great aircraft to fly with and have a bit of fun.

These guy's... need more than a little torpedo practice! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot004.jpg

major_setback
10-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by woofiedog:

Uhmmmm... a couple of CFS2 screen shots...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot171.jpg

That actually dont look too bad for a dated engine and being free its pretty decent.

I really like the CFS2 foliage, it looks better from up high than IL2/FB for the Pacific scenarios IMHO. The planes don't look bad at all. I prefer some to the FB versions, visually anyway .

Old pics I posted here before:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Hellcat002gam01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/George002gam01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/George001gam01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Hellcat001gam01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/050829bgam01.jpg

Another feature I liked in CFS2 was the EZ Breezy mission builder.

I thought the historical missions were very immersive, lots of aircraft in the air too as you join them.

han freak solo
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by woofiedog:

han freak solo... a bit later today after some running around. I'll post a few sites.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/ScreenShot004.jpg

You know, I'll just stick with IL2. Thanks for the thought though. Perhaps if I get to stay home long enough I'll finally learn to use the mission builder in IL2. Shoot, I just need time to play with Mission Mate.

Too much work travel . . . . makes me want to change jobs. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

reisen52
10-14-2007, 09:27 AM
AvHistory has released some beta flight models using new software for CFS3. They are the guys who did the MAW flight package.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=53945

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=54015