PDA

View Full Version : Emil gunfire questions.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm playing the Experten campaign and I'm having a bit of trouble with the Emil that's short on ammo while Russian a/c are rather tough.
So I took the Emil for a spin in QMB and found out ther where three different very short bursts I could fire in succesion.
The one you can see,the tracer, explodes on the enemy skin, looks damaging.
Second one you cannot see fly off your guns, you see pieces of metal fly off the enemy a/c if hit, but no explosion.
Obviously armour piercing shells.
Third one, invisible again, explosive obviously from the results, this one looks damaging too.
My Q is, do the armour piercing shells do any good damage?
I didn't manage to make any serious damage with it, any time the enemy a/c disintegrated it was from an explosive shell burst.
Maybe it is usefull for damaging an engine or killing a pilot?
Is the FB engine so sophisticated when it comes to matching type of shell together with what it hits and calculate different results?
As far as the F series is concerned, I think the firepower is nothing short of ridiculous.
We know it didn't have a big punch but it looks exaggerated.
Do we expect anything in the patch concerning German firepower?

<center>http://users.compulink.gr/ilusin@e-free.gr/bf109[2)1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm playing the Experten campaign and I'm having a bit of trouble with the Emil that's short on ammo while Russian a/c are rather tough.
So I took the Emil for a spin in QMB and found out ther where three different very short bursts I could fire in succesion.
The one you can see,the tracer, explodes on the enemy skin, looks damaging.
Second one you cannot see fly off your guns, you see pieces of metal fly off the enemy a/c if hit, but no explosion.
Obviously armour piercing shells.
Third one, invisible again, explosive obviously from the results, this one looks damaging too.
My Q is, do the armour piercing shells do any good damage?
I didn't manage to make any serious damage with it, any time the enemy a/c disintegrated it was from an explosive shell burst.
Maybe it is usefull for damaging an engine or killing a pilot?
Is the FB engine so sophisticated when it comes to matching type of shell together with what it hits and calculate different results?
As far as the F series is concerned, I think the firepower is nothing short of ridiculous.
We know it didn't have a big punch but it looks exaggerated.
Do we expect anything in the patch concerning German firepower?

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, I can't say anything about the modelling of HE versus AP shells, but I do think the Emil's firepower is pretty dang mean. The two 20mm, while not having a lot of ammo, pack a helluva punch. I always say that if you get a solid burst on a Sturmovik you can cut it in half. On the other hand you've got lots of 7.92mm ammo that is only effective in certain circumstances. For insance, if you see the E/A has a fuel leak you can save your cannon ammo and set him on fire with your MG provided you can get good hits on the source of the leak. It's fun to set P-39s on fire this way. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:28 PM
I Agree with LilHorse, the MG's are useless unless the enemy airraft has a fuel leak on it. In this version they made the MG17 very weak. I tested them out on IL-2, and they were great, they actually put big holes in planes, so I didnt have to use my cannons are fighters, only on bombers, Hopefully they make the MG's on the German aircraft like in IL-2.

http://www.vvs-regia-avions.com/Regia/MC202-003.jpg
"THE ITALIAN STALLION!"

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:29 PM
The AP is more effective for killing pilots, engines and fuel tanks, because the round will travel farther through the plane, and will go through the pilots seat armor. AP shells also have the ability to get easy de-wingings by breaking the wing spar.

HE shells are less effective for hitting critical points, because they blow up on impact (or slightly after impact), but they cause more damage to local parts. Fragments can also damage local systems like control cables, which is why its great for knocking out elevator and rudder cables.

So the MG151/15 might seem anemic, but I find it a lot easier to get pilot and engine kills with it than with the MG151/20, both because of the AP and the higher ROF.

<div align=center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/fennec/plane.jpg </div><font size=-9>

Message Edited on 08/04/0302:30PM by StG77_Fennec

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Allright.
So I guess you really have to aim your F-2's nose.
I just feel the damage potential for both the very low and very high calibre German guns here is a bit modest.
It can get realy frastrating landing nearly every single shell on the enemy aircraft and get nothing to show for it sometimes.
I get very cheap when it comes to my ammo now as opposed to Il-2.
If I as much as strafe a couple of armoured vehicles I will not take on any fighters with the Emil.
It's still early days in the campaign but when the going gets tough and some opponents actually start manouvring it could become a problem.
And yes, I've had a lot of practice with the 109s, from Il-2 to FB to know what to expect.
I wish they make the guns a bit more potent.