PDA

View Full Version : OT: (but relevant) Slide scanning service

Chef-Scott
10-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Anyone know of a good "trustworthy" slide scanning service that does not charge an arm and a leg to scan slides?
I have some slides from the late 70's from when I went to Texas to see the Confederate Air Force. Lots of nice shots of many different planes from the WWII era.

DxyFlyr
10-08-2005, 05:42 PM
I had about 250 slides done by these people (http://www.old-photo.com/) last year.

They did a great job and were very fast. I played with the idea of buying my own slide scanner, but turned out to be a bit cheaper doing it through them.

xTHRUDx
10-08-2005, 06:26 PM
might be easier to just use a buddies scanner. i've scanned normal 35mm negs on a scanner with good results. the scanner or image software (photoshop, etc)can usualy translate the image properly

Jumoschwanz
10-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Right, many scanner these days come with the ability to scan slides and negatives. For what you pay someone to do it you could probably buy at least one good scanner to do it yourself.

Jumoschwanz

Chef-Scott
10-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey, thanks for the link DxyFlyr!! I'll give them a call.

xTHRUDx and Jumoschwanz, flat bed scanners do not have the resolution for top quality scanning that a dedicated slide scanner can offer. After spending my life in the printing industry, it is much easier and more cost effective to find a third party for some things.

DxyFlyr
10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
No problem, Chef. I hope they work out for you. I was happy with the job they did for me. I was a little apprehensive as these were my Dad's slides spanning several decades. Mailing them off to strangers was hard to do, but it worked out fine in the end.

You do have to do a little prep work for them. They like the slides oriented correctly and sorted into bundles... don't remember the specifics.

Another thing about doing them yourself is the time involved. I figured I'd spend the better part of 3 weekends sitting at the 'puter putting little slides through one at a time. Frankly, it was cheaper to let someone else do it who has a proper slide scanner with a multiple feed attachment.

It turned out that my brothers and sisters wanted copies so I ended up splitting the cost 5 ways. Not bad at all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif