PDA

View Full Version : DOTS, please change them back as they were in AEP

T_Rom
01-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I have used resolution 1024*768 since FB version 1.0. After patch 3.02beta I can't see planes low below me or ground targets. I changed to resolution 800*640, because otherwise I am blind and Yakfood. Please put dots as they were in AEP: Much better for gameplay. Maybe someday I can change my resolution back to 1024*768. Man can always hope, right?... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Stiglr
01-08-2005, 10:46 PM
No, don't do that, because they sucked in AEP, too.

IIRC, there was the first PF patch that finally made them visible again, the first time since IL-2's first version. But the eye candy folks couldn't handle it, and convinced Oleg that it's more "realistic" to not see anything but the pretty landscape...never mind combat or pilot's ability to see. And we didn't wanna inconvenience the bottomfeeder turn-n-burn crowd, who have no trouble seeing because everything is above them and framed against blue sky. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

S 8
01-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Why not get the 3.03? I have 1024*768 res.and no problem spotting things.

Von_Rat
01-09-2005, 12:05 AM
3.03 is just as bad as 3.02, i have to play in 1152x 864,,, on a 22 in. monitor, and i still have trouble seeing dots, wish i could play in 1600x1200, like i do all my other games, but then i can't see the stupid dots.

your better off with a crapp monitor to play this game.

yep turn n burn crowd loves this patch.

F19_Ob
01-09-2005, 02:37 AM
I think the dots now may be ok...but there seem to be other factors that complicates and makes the results more random and sometimes not good for some.
Not all planes have the same visibility from start.
At certain distances 300-700m some planes just dissappear.( visibility distance setting causes this too)
example:
With medium visibility distance the wings of a seafire dissappears on around 300m and the plane turns into a rocket. other spits aswell as 109's are clearly seen up to 600-700m with the same visibility settings.
The big japanese flying boat (HK8 something)wich by the way resembles a Short Sunderland, looks like it dissappears in thin air with medium visibility and then gets a totally different appearance against the ground.
Yet some planes have a skin or just becomes almost transparent at a certain range wich makes them blend in to a background much better.

In RL it was hard to spot a camoflaged plane towards a forrest. Often it was the sun reflected on the wings that gave them away.
I dont know why the lightreflections are so weak in Pf but they exist atleast. (if your system can handle it ofcourse)

One Conclusion and idea

If u can have max settings on landscape lighting and on objects aswell as maximym detail and so on u will have rather good visibility compared to the poor suckers with low-end machines (like me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif )that cant have that online. For me all planes blend into whatever background exept sky because my settings are low and thus every color becomes dull and gets the same value wich means that some colorblind people will probably suffer greatly.
The positive thing is that we learn good strategies for guessing correctly.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Oh and for me its not unusual to look behind to see tracers coming at me from thin air. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Von_Rat
01-09-2005, 03:25 AM
i can play with everything maxed out,even at 1600x1200 res, still can't see dots, unless i play at a silly low res, for my monitor at least, 1024x768 is low res.

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 05:00 AM
the first patch to PF made dots highly unrealistic

they were far too easy to spot on the default settings , which is the setting that 9.9 out of 10 hosts ran

but i preferred them

Airmail109
01-09-2005, 05:21 AM
odd i play at 1600x1200 and I have no difficulties.......You just have to keep your eyes peeled like they did in world war 2.....believe me the aircraft dont have cloaking devices, if you look hard enough and are observant you will be able to pick out aircraft movement below you. Still, reflections arnt moddled in this game which gave a lot of aircraft away even if they were wering matt paint.

antifreeze
01-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Those complaining are setting the mp_dotrange to the maximum of 25km I hope? It doesn't just increase the distance, but makes them more prominent too. Especially important if you host games or run a dedicated server. The default setting of 14km means aircraft fade too close (about 8km against sky and 3km against ground). With DOT at 25km, aircraft against the sky can be seen at 16-18km, and against the ground up to 5km or so. The 'dot change to LOD' also improves, from about 2km to 4km.

By the way, here is a way to automatically change your dot distance and icons everytime the game loads; great if you are hosting or playing offline:

In your RCU file (in the FB/AEP/PF root folder) enter the following lines to set-up your icon and dot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
@a icon mp_dotrange COLOR .05 DOT 25 RANGE .05 TYPE .05 ID .05 NAME .05
@timeout 150000 file dot.auto
@timeout 300000 file dot.auto
@timeout 400000 file dot.auto
@timeout 500000 file dot.auto
@timeout 600000 file dot.auto
@timeout 700000 file dot.auto
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first line sets the icons up. You can set these parameters to whatever you want for your icons. My only recommendation is that DOT is 25km. You can call these settings from in the game at any time manually by typing 'icon' into the console (shift-tab) if you are hosting or offline).

Now for the automation...
Create a text file. The only text that should be in the file is:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
icon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then save the file as 'dot.auto'. Move this file to the FB/AEP/PF root folder.

Now whenever FB/AEP/PF is started, every couple of minutes the console will automatically change your icon settings for you (if you are playing offline or are hosting a game). Repeating the call like that ensures that your settings will be changed no matter how long you take to initiate a mission. The first 'call' will be about 90 seconds after the game loads.

Finally just a note about the current beta dll files that are being publicly tested. On my system, for the first time since I bought il2 four years ago, I can see planes suddenly disappear and re-appear. I know planes vanish if you set DOT too small, but with DOT at 25km all aircraft currently vanish at 800m and re-appear at 1000m when I use the new dlls. I have heard people complain about this anomaly before, but had never experienced it until now. If I roll back to 3.03 dlls, the DOT and LODs are fine again. So if people see anomalies that you don't see, believe them rather than dismiss them. However, the most helpful thing people can do if they're having problems is email Oleg's team with their system details, settings, a description of the problem and a couple of screenshots. Threads like this don't really help much at all.

T_Rom
01-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Yes, I have heard that increasing the dot range helps a little. But for example in Bellum War, the default setting are always used. So:

COULD WE AT LEAST HAVE LONGER DEFAULT DOT RANGE IN THE NEXT PATCH?

Old_Canuck
01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Shouldn't this be in ORR?