PDA

View Full Version : Aircraftcarrier decklights???

aukieboy
01-25-2006, 06:59 AM
What about carrier decklights on a MOVING carrier... to do some real dark night landings
I don't know those carriers had them in RL, probably yes but I'm not sure

I have got ****loads of good pictures of lots of CV and CVEs in the 1940s but no good nightshots of the deck so I wonder...

aukieboy
01-25-2006, 06:59 AM
What about carrier decklights on a MOVING carrier... to do some real dark night landings
I don't know those carriers had them in RL, probably yes but I'm not sure

I have got ****loads of good pictures of lots of CV and CVEs in the 1940s but no good nightshots of the deck so I wonder...

p1ngu666
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
yep would be nice...

WWMaxGunz
01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
One time ever I have heard and read of a carrier running lights on at night in WWII.
That was at Midway, IIRC, to let returning pilots get back.

Night lights on a ship at war....

BSS_Vidar
01-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes... They did have deck lights. The LSO wore a suit with reflective strips on his arms and legs, and a center mass patch on his torso. The paddels were reflective as well.

MAILMAN------
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I believe later in the war they turned the lights on also for returning pilots, Marianna'a area I believe.

WWMaxGunz
01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwar/color/lso_dave.jpg

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwar/deckcrew.htm

I dunno how much lights they used in anything like hostile waters.
Light discipline is something strict to avoid giving away position to enemy planes and ships.
Ditto for radio.
Example: Aldis Lamps for ship to ship comms.

Yet there were night ops practiced and used though I can't say in what light conditions or
how deep into contested waters.

I still can't remember just what battle and carrier it was that did crank on all the lights
to get the returning planes back but I do remember that it was a considered risk.

darkhorizon11
01-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I would think they would have had some lighting. Even in hostle waters. It was a risk, yes, but to get the crews home it would be considered worth the risk. On the other hand who would want to fly off on a routine patrol at night knowing there was a good chance they wouldn't find the carrier.

This is a little OT but somebody posted an article here awhile back, basically an interview of an Me-110 pilot who defended Hamburg in 1944, and he said that if an aircraft was crippled a had trouble getting back they would turn on the main lights, man the AAA guns, and wait for a sh!tstorm. And thats Germany, who was desperate! If they did then I think it would have been deemed a necessary risk to turn on a couple extra floodlights for a couple minutes while a crippled aircraft lands.

WWMaxGunz
01-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Hamburg was in no danger of being sunk by submarines. It's basic position was known and
did not change and still they practiced light discipline. A fleet at night, even cargo
ships was much tighter. But yes at least once a decision to use lights was made by USN
just to bring the planes in even in contested waters.

I'm guessing that air ops in bad weather or with dark night otw that late launches were
not sop. One reason is I can't find references to regular dark night ops in WWII Pacific.

You know that they sprayed oil out in front of moving ships at night to stop phosphoescent
glow from disturbed organisms?

Bearcat99
01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I wonder what it would take in modifying the code to get the lights to stick to the carriers... You can put them onstationary carriers.

Box-weasel
01-28-2006, 07:44 PM
And the answer is:

The Battle of the Philippine Sea
( "The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot")
At 20:45 the first US planes began to return to TF 58.
TF 58 consisted of five major groups. In front (to the west) was Admiral Willis A. Lee's Task Group 58.7 (TG 58.7), the Battle Line, consisting of seven fast battleships (Washington, North Carolina, Indiana, Iowa, New Jersey, South Dakota, and Alabama). Just north of them was the weakest of the carrier groups, Rear Admiral William K. Harrill's TG 58.4 of three carriers (Essex, Langley, and Cowpens). To the east came three groups of four carriers each in a line running north-south: Rear Admiral Joseph J. Clark's TG 58.1 (Hornet, Yorktown, Belleau Wood, and Bataan); Rear Admiral Alfred E. Montgomery's TG 58.2 (Bunker Hill, Wasp, Cabot, and Monterey); and Rear Admiral John W. Reeves's TG 58.3 (Enterprise, Lexington, San Jacinto, and Princeton). The big ships were supported by 8 heavy cruisers, 13 light cruisers, 58 destroyers, and 28 submarines.

Mitscher took the decision to fully illuminate the carriers, despite the risk of attack from submarines and night-flying aircraft, and the picket destroyers fired starshells to help the planes find the task groups. Despite this 80 of the returning aircraft were lost, some crashing on flight decks, the majority going into the sea. Many of the crews were nevertheless rescued over the next few days.

What do I win?

BadA1m
01-28-2006, 11:44 PM
THATS IT !!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif All I could think of was Halsey, but it just didn't sound like that crotchety old SOB. While cash prizes are not allowed here you do get one BIG thumbs up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WWMaxGunz
01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Cool! A good account!

What you win is : it was done, so it should be do-able.

With stationary ships it could be in missions as you can fix light sources in missions, the other
side of that 'can't get the lights to stay with moving ships' coin. The big drawback is having
stationary carriers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Can you skin a carrier with a 'bright' deck?

BSS_Vidar
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
A thought might be to put a red light on the port round-down and a green on the right round-down with a white light on top of the mast. As long as you keep red to the left, and green to the right, you'll know you're heading in the right direction during final approach.

If you forget which side has which color, turn on your nav lights and match them to the carrier's fantail. This will keep you from landing down the bow.

Long distant line-up could be done by keeping the white light on top of the mast lined up directly over the top of the starboard green round-down light. This will give you a good start on your initial approch to the boat.

Of course, on some of the Japanese carriers the white light would be over the red light due to the island structure being on the port side.

MAILMAN------
01-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Remember Port is Red like Port Wine. The way running lights were explained to me when quallifying for look out on Submarine.