PDA

View Full Version : U-Boat Commander's Handbook

MissouriMedic
04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Does anyone else have this book?

For those who aren't familiar, it's a direct translation of the original German U-Boat commanders' handbook from WW2.

It is a wealth of tactics and tips, and despite my reservations, I found it to be highly applicable to SH3.

I got my copy from Amazon.com, for a very cheap price. (It was something like $10 U.S., I think)

It's not a boring read, either, as might be expected from a military field-manual. It's actually full of very interesting tactics and tips.

Here are a few random examples of chapter titles:

--Fundamentals of torpedo attacks
--What to do after an underwater attack
--How to prevent the submarine from being detected
--How to deal with convoys
--Principles of defense against sound detection
--Fundamental rules for a night surface attack
--What to do when pursued by ASDIC
--The submarine as a gunnery vessel
--What to do when pursued by sound location

....and lots more

It really is a very interesting book, and IMHO it's a must-read for anyone who's really into SH3.

BaneSixEcho
04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I bought it from Amazon as well. It was $8.95 if I remember right.

I agree with you: it's an easy read, not dry and technical like I thought it would be.

It's the best 'strategy guide' you can buy!

dagamecat
04-28-2005, 12:10 PM
hmm sounds interesting.

for some reason it costs 32 off amazon.co.uk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

bloody rip off! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

cgiraudel
04-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Apparently, it's at 32 because it's a second-hand book. Not sold new in the UK, neither it is in France where I live...

ViperU48
04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Very interesting read with lots of facinating information.

It even helps me as I play SH3.

GaryT1957
04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I've had the book since I bought the ol' SHII. It's VERY interesting read.

I recommend it.

Gary

InfectiousDust
04-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey that's great! I just ordered a copy from Amazon as well. Thanks for the heads up.

HeibgesU999
04-28-2005, 10:23 PM
It has totally helped me in both SH2 and SH3 to keep my tonnage to realistic levels. Reading it you really begin to understanding all the tactical problems and uboat skipper faced over the course of a patrol.

Frederf221
04-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Ordered my copy 2nd day air tonight! I wonder how thick it is.

MissouriMedic
04-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Frederf221:
Ordered my copy 2nd day air tonight! I wonder how thick it is.

It's 115 pages. Relatively small book, but about what one would expect from a military field-guide.

One thing which i found fascinating was how accurately it matched SH3 in many areas... for example, the field-guide warns commanders not to launch a torpedo from a range close than 300 meters, and it recommends avoiding launches from distances greater than 1000 meters.

I found a few other such areas in which it closely matched SH3 in terms of tips and other advice, or other simulation facts.