PDA

View Full Version : Official Website Bias? Or Just Carelesness?

WTE_Tigger
06-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Greetings,

I have been involved pro-actively in my little corner of our community for many years now, since the early days of IL2 Sturmovik. Today notice that a number of long term Squadrons listed on the official website that are Units that have existed and supported IL2, FB, AEP, and PF from the beginning are listed as Il2 Squadron Sites and Don€t get Listed as Pacific Fighters Squadrons.

I am of the belief that this is a misrepresentation of a number of Squadrons who support the whole FB+AEP+PF Game and have done from the very beginning of Il2 Sturmovik.

I also notice that a new category in the Official Squadrons Listing called "Official Awards / Recognition T.B.A." has been added to the list and that it is currently listing Squadrons with placing€s within certain online competitions such as Ghost Skies.

Now I don't wish to rain on anyone€s parade, well done and congrats to those Squads who have gained recognition within those competitions. However I do believe it is unfair to support and promote these squads above others. Specially when many other Squads may have been pro-active participants within our community for many years. Not all Squads choose to participate in Ghost Skies for various reasons, not all squads play the same settings or have the same approach to their gaming. it seems wrong to me that the Official Squad Listing on the Official Website should favour those that do. Lets face it, this list is the first stop for many people who are new to the community and looking for a squad and this kind of favouritism can effect the intake of new members into squads.

Personally I feel that the recognition given is okay, if in the proper place, but should not be placed on the squad listings page but elsewhere. Give every squadron a fair and unbiased opportunity to recruit via this listing. To do otherwise is bias and ethically questionable when the Official Website should not favour any Squads above others but rather give everyone a fair and equal opportunity.

it may seem a small thing, but it may make or break a squad in the long run, and that€s not something that the official website should be influencing. It is probably unintentional, but I believe the official website and game producers have a responsibility to be unbiased in their dealings within the community in which they created.

Regards

WTE Tigger

Weather_Man
06-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I believe it is up to the individual squads whether or not they want to be listed on UBI, participate in competitions or awards. If the squad wants to go through all that, then they have every opportunity. Many squads don't care, aren't that well organized or don't want the association. It's not UBI's responsibility to recognize everyone, so I don't see the problem. I don't think they represent the Official Squadrons list as the complete and total IL2 community, only a good place to start for those interested.

WTE_Tigger
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Quote:
I believe it is up to the individual squads whether or not they want to be listed on UBI, participate in competitions or awards. If the squad wants to go through all that, then they have every opportunity.
End Quote:

Yes this is correct, Squads dont have to be listed here but lets face it, this is the jump off point for many new players of this game series. Any Squad that isnt listed here may well dissadvantage themselves.

As to having every oppertunity to participate in Competitions this is not strictly true. Not all Squads compete in the listed Competitions, many for perfectly valid reasons. Like Geographical location, Squad makeup, and Squad settings preferences just to name a few.

I believe those who win renown in the competitions that Ubi are reporting on (certianly not all of them by any means) should have it recognised indeed, but that this list is not the place for that. A seperate section for such community accolades would be more suitible IMHO.

Quote:
Many squads don't care, aren't that well organized or don't want the association. It's not UBI's responsibility to recognize everyone, so I don't see the problem.
End Quote:

Indeed many Squads are not well organised, but many also are well organise, and may elect for reasons mentioned above, not to participate in the few competitions being reported on by Ubi. This creates a faulse sence of achievment in this list IMHO.

Quote:
I don't think they represent the Official Squadrons list as the complete and total IL2 community, only a good place to start for those interested.
EndQuote:

No I doubt there is a Full Listing anywhere, that is however irrelivant to my statment. It is the first point (next to the SQN FORUM) where new players look and I feel it should be a list that favours no one. Perhaps not a big deal, as i already said, but somthing i feel should be rectified.

my 2c.

Tooz_69GIAP
06-06-2005, 12:31 AM
The 69th were listed as an IL-2 squad, but then I sent in an update of our details to the submission email address as listed, and we were then shunted to the status of a PF squad.

I don't think there is any bias involved, it is just that if you send your squad's details to the submission email address you are automatically listed as a PF squad.

WTE_Tigger
06-06-2005, 04:25 AM
We have tried to have our details updated numerous times without any actual responce, but this wasnt my main issue. I just feel this list could be managed much better than it currently is.

FF_Trozaka
06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
at least they got your call sign correct http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

FF_Trozaka

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WTE_Tigger
06-06-2005, 06:30 PM
which is Ironic since the unit is now over four years old and I am no longer it's CO./OIC (having retired) and despite repeated emails to get this changed we have no responce -lol-