PDA

View Full Version : No airplanes

jasonsagert
01-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Hello all,

I think I've read about this problem somewhere on these forums before. I've been playing SH3 since it came out, used a bunch of mods, and have had a great time. Recently I've had this problem though--no airplanes-none. I can start a career in 1944, roll around everywhere and no airplanes attack me. I can run around England on the surface in perfect weather and still no airplanes. WTF? I'm patched to 1.4, currently running RUB 1.45 and SH3 Commander 2.4. I've tried completely reloading the game and the mods but still no airplanes.

This is obviously a problem with something, yet I can't figure out. I guess I'll try loading RUB 1.45 without SH3 commander and see what happens. ****, this is the first problem I've had and it's a bit frustrating.

I actually want to be bombed again!!

Cheers,

J

jasonsagert
01-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Alright, removed everything again and reloaded SH3 and just RUB 1.45. I just ran around grid BF 54 in 1944 for two days on the surface in perfect weather and no planes. Strange. I even re-downloaded RUB1.45 thinking that part of it might have been corrupted.

I guess I'll try with only patch 1.4 and see what happens. This is sucks. All I want to do is sink ships--and be bombed again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Any suggestions?

J

jasonsagert
01-19-2006, 02:02 AM
All right,

reloaded again and just used patch 1.4. Patroled for 3 days in 1943 grid BF 54--no planes.

Installed RUB 1.45--patroled grid BF 54 for 5 days--no planes.

All of this was with perfect weather. What gives? This is truelly strange. I wouldn't worry if I hadn't been harrased by airplanes day and night before in these same situations. For the last two weeks of playing a career in 1943 I haven't seen any planes either. Corrupted DVD? Doesn't make much sense. This is really frustrating me as the game isn't quite the same without airplanes.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Really, I've tried everything I can to put myself in a situation where I should get the **** bombed out of me and, you guessed it, there are no airplanes at all!!! And I thought the RAF was a decent fighting force!

AHHH!!! I love this game!! But if I can't solve this problem, it really loses all of it's fun.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

J

Tontoman666
01-19-2006, 02:26 AM
It is weird, I assume when you say reloaded SH3 you mean reinstalled? The only thing I can think of is after uninstalling SH3, go into it's old directory and make sure all the files are gone. Also go into MyDocuments/SH3 and delete stuff there.. you've got some game setting stuff there that might not be deleted on an uninstall and causing the problem.

I had a similar weird bug, ships would show the animation of dropping DCs, but none ever dropped. So I never got depthcharged. The only thing that fixed it was a total wipe of SH3 off the system and a new install.

Luke_The_Silent
01-19-2006, 03:46 AM
I wrote last autumm about the same problem. I was neither attacked by planes in late of the war. And I was also using RUb mod and patch 1.4.

The problem was time compression. And I guess that is the problem also in your case. If you are using 512x or 1024x TC there will be very few or none air attack. But when I started to cruise 256 TC then I was attacked by planes like it should be.

jasonsagert
01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Yea Tonto, I did mean reinstall. I did actually go to the directory and delete all the old files and save games. Hmm..

Luke--that might be the problem. I'll reinstall the game AGAIN tonight and see what happens. Hopefully it's just that simple!

Thank's for the replies. I'll let you know if it is the time compression. Although it is strange that I wouldn't have noticed this problem during the whole of last year--oh well, stranger things have happened http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

J

paulhager
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Luke_The_Silent:
I wrote last autumm about the same problem. I was neither attacked by planes in late of the war. And I was also using RUb mod and patch 1.4.

The problem was time compression. And I guess that is the problem also in your case. If you are using 512x or 1024x TC there will be very few or none air attack. But when I started to cruise 256 TC then I was attacked by planes like it should be.

ADDENDUM: I don't run RuB, so if there is a problem, it could be RuB.

I've read the claim that high TC means no air attacks made by others but I haven't experienced it. Part of the reason I got the sensor mod was being bombed out of existence running at TCx1024 while snorkeling - the game would drop to TCx1 or TCx8 and the planes would be in the process of bombing me before I could react.

Also, if you read the Altmeier series (http://paulhager.org/wordpress/index.php?p=75), I was being attacked nearly every patrol in 1944 and 1945. In 1945, I was nearly attacked sailing out of Bergen at TCx1024 (the B-24 didn't spot me).

I've run careers both before and since Altmeier in which I went several patrols without seeing any aircraft at all. But, there was no pattern to it.

So, I can't validate the claim for TC - doesn't mean it isn't a factor, maybe it is. I can say I have NEVER been attacked close to port in the Bay of Biscay by aircraft. This is decidedly anomalous. It has been claimed this is a TC-related issue but I've never tried to run at TCx32 or less when leaving.